Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbecky74 View Post
I don't have an answer to the question but I also have a few questions I was hoping maybe someone could help me with, if that's ok? My husband is originally from Dillon, Montana and I am from New York but I LOVE Montana. Anyway, after 28 years of serving in the Army my husband is retiring , we currently live in Colorado but I cant get out of this city fast enough lol. My husband is looking at jobs in Kalispell and I have only seen pictures and I think its absolutely beautiful but from what I have been reading it sounds like it's not the greatest area to live in so I am getting a little nervous. Mainly because we have three children our girls are 12 and 14 and our son is 17, our son is HUGE into football and he is really worried about making sure he goes to a school that is big into football as well. I guess my question is. can anyone tell me how the schools are in Kalispell? We really want to leave Colorado Springs because the crime and the drugs have gotten so bad here, everyday we hear of someone getting killed or children getting kidnapped and it's time to go. But I don't want to jump from the frying pan straight into the fire. After being a military family for so long and moving so often we have decided that once we make this move and purchase our home, it will be our "forever" home and we don't want to ever move again. If Kalispell isn't the best choice for schools and buying a home are there any cities that are fairly close by that we could live in and work in Kalispell? I apologize for being long winded, any and all information would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you in advance.
First, thank you to your family for your service.

Second, not sure what is bad about Kalispell aside from the prices of homes and the lack of jobs, other than that it is a pretty nice place.

Most Montana schools score above national average, so I would'nt worry about that.
Football I have no idea about.

North Western Montana as a whole is a great place, there are several communities that would welcome a veteran with open arms.

There are drugs everywhere, not just Montana, but Montana seems to have a bad problem mostly because of our low population density so proportionally it seems we have some real issues, but in reality, I don't believe it is any worse or as bad as most larger population centers, it just stands out more. The worst drug abuse we have by far is alcohol.

Add in the fact we have some real drug problems on the 7 Indian Reservations in the state, well I won't say drug abuse doesn't exist because it does, but I would not say it is any worse than any other rural state in the country.

Most of North West Montana is expensive for buying property because it is beautiful, but other areas of the state also have breathtaking scenery, and are much cheaper places to live. Look East of the divide to places like Lewistown. Much more affordable, good schools, low crime.

Montana is a huge state so don't limit yourselves if you are making a permanent decision. Just because you live in one place dosen't mean you can't visit the others.
I would say finding a job as the most important factor, because the whole state is scenic and widely varied.

Come visit and spend some time looking around before you decide.

It's a great place to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbecky74 View Post
I don't have an answer to the question but I also have a few questions I was hoping maybe someone could help me with, if that's ok? My husband is originally from Dillon, Montana and I am from New York but I LOVE Montana. Anyway, after 28 years of serving in the Army my husband is retiring , we currently live in Colorado but I cant get out of this city fast enough lol. My husband is looking at jobs in Kalispell and I have only seen pictures and I think its absolutely beautiful but from what I have been reading it sounds like it's not the greatest area to live in so I am getting a little nervous. Mainly because we have three children our girls are 12 and 14 and our son is 17, our son is HUGE into football and he is really worried about making sure he goes to a school that is big into football as well. I guess my question is. can anyone tell me how the schools are in Kalispell? We really want to leave Colorado Springs because the crime and the drugs have gotten so bad here, everyday we hear of someone getting killed or children getting kidnapped and it's time to go. But I don't want to jump from the frying pan straight into the fire. After being a military family for so long and moving so often we have decided that once we make this move and purchase our home, it will be our "forever" home and we don't want to ever move again. If Kalispell isn't the best choice for schools and buying a home are there any cities that are fairly close by that we could live in and work in Kalispell? I apologize for being long winded, any and all information would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you in advance.
Check out Billings. It's not as scenic as Kalispell but has a lot of amenities you are likely to be used to in Colorado Springs and might be a tad cheaper (hopefully someone living there can clarify this). Everywhere in Montana has drugs but I wouldn't say they are rampant. The city seems safe and I don't think your son would have too many problems playing football as there are three public high schools and one private one that all have football teams. I don't know how good the teams are but football is available.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
Does your husband have any interest in living in Dillon? It is a small slow moving town with good public schools &big football program. It is relatively safe and family oriented place and the people are upbeat. There is a big Y program besides all the standard kid activities.
I have no idea what the employment opportunities are.
I have heard quite a few retirees moving to Dillon are former high school & college students. Winters are milder than Kalispell and most winter days are sunny compared to overcast gray ones all winter in Kalispell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana