Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 19,828 times

Advertisements

I've heard a few horror stories about areas like Libby so I've marked that off the map of potential places to live.
More like than likely I'll end up right around Kali but I'm interested in hearing about some of the other not so savvy places to live.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
You can look up Superfund sites on Montana's Department of Environmental Quality website below. Somers has some issue with old contamination from BN.

You need keep in mind that most of Western Montana was settled early due to mining of gold, silver, lead, copper, etc metals. The processes for extracting sometimes left environmental damage. Superfund sites are just the mega areas. There are small sites all over.

Prior to purchasing, especially outside of city limits, it is wise to have at least an Environmental Phase I survey done by an engineering firm that specializes in such to be certain no lurking issues exist.

Other contaminants are found along railroads from treating ties or petro contaminants from railyards. Railroads tend to follow rivers so sometimes there are old water contaminant issues. Fertilizers and pesticide spill areas on farms and around fertilizer plants and old ranch dumps have all sorts of issues.
In timber land areas there might be old post & pole treating sites. Sites of old gas stations and like might have leakage from buried tanks. Old funeral homes had embalming fluid disposal issues as did dry cleaners. The thing is not much is pristine. You do not need to a scaredy cat but do need to be realistic.

Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) - default

Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Do you plan to work in Montana? The economy around the Flathead is struggling. That was the worst hit part of the state during the recession and housing boom.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
To be perfectly honest I would give that whole region a pass unless you have a good job. Even so, the wages are going to be lower than the national average and the cost of living is high. That area is also not that welcome of outsiders.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
We spend about 4 weeks a year in Kalispell...2 in the Fall, 2 in the Spring. So we are there long enough to make observations but not long enough to learn meaningful facts.
I was told under-employment is the issue not unemployment. Is this the case?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Thank you Historyfan, I would have never even thought about doing that prior to buying as it's not something I've ever encountered.
I don't need to work. I'm retired and self employed. I'm financially stable for the most part.
I've got some family in Kali and Eureka. As far as not being welcomed, I have fairly good coping skills, I'll manage.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superside View Post
Thank you Historyfan, I would have never even thought about doing that prior to buying as it's not something I've ever encountered.
I don't need to work. I'm retired and self employed. I'm financially stable for the most part.
I've got some family in Kali and Eureka. As far as not being welcomed, I have fairly good coping skills, I'll manage.
If you are financially stable and have family there you should be fine.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM

281 posts, read 870,164 times
Polson.

It sure is beautiful here, but living here is a whole different story. Believe me, it looks serene and wonderful. My husband and I moved up here in October of last year from Lolo in the Bitterroot valley and it was THE biggest mistake we ever made. I already have a thread about the problems up here so I don't want to sound repetitive here.

We did not fully investigate how it is to live here before coming. I will never ever make that mistake again. I suggest that anywhere a person is going to move, they should at the very least spend a couple of weeks or more in an area to get a feel for it. Talk to people, ask questions. I wish that we had.

We are still trying to get out of here. I seriously hate it up here and have never felt so depressed in my life.

And with the festivals in the summer, it has brought out the most disrespectful people ever and drunks up and down the streets. It's 4:35 am right now, and why am I up? Hoop fest is in town and I've got a group of drunks parked outside yelling, screaming and blasting music.

I suppose if I lived out side of town it would be more peaceful, but here in town it is not anywhere near that. Don't get me started on the drunks that have walked down our street at night screaming, yelling, couples fighting, cops following people and searching them.

I live on a side road on the water front. They still come down here and make trouble.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM

Damn heart, I'm sorry to hear that. I've read a bit about Polson and crossed it off the list a while ago. I'm looking to move to a more rural piece possibly outside of bigfork or kali. Somewhere where the nearest neighbor isn't within eye sight..or sound.
I'd like to get at least 20 acre, I'll be up there in Nov to scout the area and possibly buy. I figure I'll head back up around march time frame to park my trailer and break ground on construction but I think I need to focus on step 1 first

Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM

14 posts, read 22,206 times
Hey Superside. Have you checked out the message about the remote cabin for sale in Montana on this forum? Might be what you're looking for. If not it will give you a chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana