Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 22,237 times

Advertisements

This seems like a silly question but when I use my Bing map and zoom in to the Flathead Nat. Forest there is a checkerboard that appears. I was just curious.

Details: BING MAP - Zoom into Lake Co. area near Polson - About 15 miles due east of the bottom of Flathead Lake the map greens out the area for the Flathead Nat. Forest. There is a series of greened out spaces that appear to be a mile square. It shows green, then white, then green, then white for several rows. Like a checkerboard. Do I sound like I've lost it already? lol. Hwy. 83 runs right through the checkerboard. It doesn't show on the Google Map.

Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited by Camchase; 08-10-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,483,695 times
What you could be seeing is private in holdings inside the park which does happen. But I imagine this link will lead you in the right direction.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Public Land Hunting Opportunities

it talks about the school state trust lands scattered around Montana and BLM Trust lands.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,007,338 times
There is no Flathead National Park. That is Flathead National Forest.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM

My sincere apologies. It IS Flathead National Forest, not Park. If I'm gonna go there I better get that straight. I went back and corrected it but it wouldn't let me correct the title. Sorry.

I had thought of it being some private lands dispersed among the Forest, but it was so odd being that it was a checkerboard. Maybe it is just Bing Maps that is off.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,550,427 times
Railroad companies were awarded every other section (a section is 1square mile) from the federal government for building the railroad. Railroad companies then became land and timber developers. Sometimes the land was exchanged or traded to eliminate the checkerboard ownership but in some areas it still exists. Keep in mind that where the point of the blocks meet is not an easement from one parcel to the other.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Thank you. How interesting. That must be it. I just thought it was odd but knew there had to be a reasonable explanation.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,190,548 times
I'd wondered about those oddball parcels in the boonies that are owned by a school district -- some are really weird, like a tiny lot in the absolute middle of nowhere, or a retired gravel pit out in ranch country, or a landlocked small acreage way back in the hills, etc, etc. Not a one of 'em I've encountered is useful property other than for grazing. Do they get lumped in with grazing leases and get some income from that, or ?? (Which seems a reasonable way to fund a school district without raising taxes.)

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,550,427 times
School trust lands in Montana were originally Sections 16 and 36 in each township. These were held aside to provide long term support for education. Sometimes a school was actually built on the section and sometimes not.

The income derived from school trust lands goes to different state schools like both universities Missoula & Bozeman, MT School for Deaf & Blind, Eastern & Western because they are normal colleges, and others that I can't think of at the moment.

There is a trust lands board that manages the leases & income and distributes by a formula. Each section is managed depending on its use and I would guess most are grazing leases but I do not actually know. There are other state trust lands in addition to school trust lands that are administered by the board.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,601,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
School trust lands in Montana were originally Sections 16 and 36 in each township. These were held aside to provide long term support for education. Sometimes a school was actually built on the section and sometimes not.

The income derived from school trust lands goes to different state schools like both universities Missoula & Bozeman, MT School for Deaf & Blind, Eastern & Western because they are normal colleges, and others that I can't think of at the moment.

There is a trust lands board that manages the leases & income and distributes by a formula. Each section is managed depending on its use and I would guess most are grazing leases but I do not actually know. There are other state trust lands in addition to school trust lands that are administered by the board.
The state lands board is comprised of the Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, State Auditor and Superintendent of Public Instruction, the 5 highest ranking elected officials in the state.

https://www.mtvoters.org/elected/landboard

Some state lands are part of the coal and oil leases, some grazing, some timber, some are leased to production agriculture too.

Lots of money involved in State lands

Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,998,221 times
For a better description of state, federal, and private lands in any state, find the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for the state you are interested in.
I have one for Montana, and one for Wyoming. They are great for outdoor recreation. they show exactly where public lands are, then all one has to do is figure out exactly where you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana