Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times

Advertisements

Here is a classic example of why some local folks resent newcomers.
Now in our valley we don't have malls yet and we don't have wall to wall condos yet, heck we don't have any condos at all, or tract home developments yet either. We do have a relatively new resident in our town and he has tried to get involved with the local political issues. He doesn't have bad Ideas so much as the way he presents them. He complained to the tribe about how the local landfill was being managed. (The dump is on tribal land.) Now we are not allowed to drop off any brush ,tree limbs or grass clippings. We cannot dump brick, rock or rubble anymore. Any load not covered with a tarp is a $15.00 fine as well as having no tailgate, or not having everything bagged. They will no longer accept old refrigerators unless you have had someone come out and recover the refrigerant from the coils. If you have done a little bit of remodeling on your home dumping the trash from your remodeling is subject to the charges that contractors have to pay for dumping their commercial waste. Anything containing asbestos is banned. It is true that the dump could've been run better but the way he complained about the problems caused an over reaction by the districts refuse board. He is not a bad guy, he just started rubbing folks the wrong way from the start. I must add that this guy lives as a loner in our town and is always the subject lots of vicious gossip. I think I am the only one who talks to him, (he is my neighbor after all), and he is not from California ! He came here from Arizona and he has been an outcast in our town for over 5 years now. These changes would have come eventually but he seemed to have seeded the clouds and folks around here weren't ready for the deluge !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Have you spoken to him about it? Most people, when they move, don't realize that they're moving to a new culture and they bring all of their old ways with them. It sounds like he doesn't see that.

If I were new and doing all that, I would appreciate it if someone cared enough to take the risk in telling me. Otherwise, how will he know?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Ah, but there's the rub. They won't tell you here, at least to your face. They make you an outcast and gossip behind your back. Unfortunately it seems there's no way of coming back from it as far as I've seen.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM

He knows. He is pretty entrenched in his views and pretty much keeps to himself anymore. He just mows his lawn constantly in the summer and the rest of the year he just stays home or goes shopping in another town. It's kinda sad really.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
The sad part is he was probably right and had the best of intentions....

Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

Well the dump attendant did torch the burn pile a day before the authorities allowed open burning to resume ! That might have had something to do with it but the poor outspoken outsider still took the heat for the inconvenience that the change imposed.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ah, but there's the rub. They won't tell you here, at least to your face. They make you an outcast and gossip behind your back. Unfortunately it seems there's no way of coming back from it as far as I've seen.
See, that part doesn't speak well of the people in town. They're casting the first stone, unwilling to give someone a second chance, which everyone deserves.

There is a way of coming back from it. Someone else has to have the guts to stand up to it.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
He knows. He is pretty entrenched in his views and pretty much keeps to himself anymore. He just mows his lawn constantly in the summer and the rest of the year he just stays home or goes shopping in another town. It's kinda sad really.
So, then, nobody's talking about the elephant in the middle of the room, huh? There's no resolution to this whatsoever, until someone takes the first step. Until then, it's just fodder for gossip and a thorn in everyone's side. That's too bad.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Well the dump attendant did torch the burn pile a day before the authorities allowed open burning to resume ! That might have had something to do with it but the poor outspoken outsider still took the heat for the inconvenience that the change imposed.
Sounds like all they want is someone else to heave blame onto. I'm sorry, but this town's people need help. Unforgiving, gossipy, unwilling to change or reach out. I'm sure there are good people there, too. It's just too bad they're afraid to speak up. What's that saying? Evil thrives when good men do nothing.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

I really like a lot of things about this town but it is the the most gossip-some town I've ever lived in. I have a saying about small towns like ours:
We don't gossip,
We just talk about people !!!
Here's an example of how good our neighbors can be.:
Lightning struck some tall grass behind a house here on the edge of town and as soon as the first big waft of smoke went up pick-up trucks and four wheelers showed up from everywhere with guys holding shovels and they all beat the fire down. Then the fire dept shows up and says thanks guys you did a great job. No houses burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana