Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times

Advertisements

What did you choose? Our family is now Making the same decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextHorizon View Post
I'll be moving to the area in the coming months with my family of 6. I'll be working in Kalispell, but I think we all universally prefer Bigfork in particular or Whitefish with the exception of the Echo Lake and Many Lakes area of Kalispell--I'm not a big fan of the way the area are aroud Kalispell has been cleared of all of the pines and forest and a bit too "strip-mally." I guess what I struggle with is that there is a lot to like about Whitefish, but I'm leary. The last place I want to live is a place like Aspen or Vail where you have a lot of outside money, a lot of drugs, and a dalliant, Trustafarian culture. Should I at all be concerned about that in Whitefish? I didn't necessarily get that vibe in my times there. I would like to find an area with a good community of working professionals and a healthy bluecollar population, as well. In other words, more of a healthy mix.

We're moving to the area to live outside. Flyfishing, hiking, hunting, swimming, snowshoeing, Nordic skiing... all of the above. I'd love to find a place with a more 1950s vibe than anything like what you're seeing in America's urban centers these days. We're looking to find smaller schools, to become active in a local community and church, and I'd really like to find a place where I can strap on a pair of skiis or snowshoes or my hiking boots depending on the season and go for a quick jaunt after work or on the weekend. Or where the kids can hop in the lake or river after school or go skating in the winter. The Jewell Basin area of Bigfork really appeals to me, and it seems like Whitefish has similar amenities, though maybe even closer. The golf course, for instance, turning into a Nordic ski area is kind of cool; I don't like golf, but to each his own.

Any thoughts on comparing the the two places? I'm not really that worked up about big city amenities. The theatre in Bigfork is not that important to me. If those were the things I wanted, I'd move to NYC. A few restaurants is nice, where Whitefish seems to do much better, but I realize that has more to do with the constant influx of tourists, as well.

I'm really not sure quite what to make of Columbia Falls. It wasn't quite as attractive to me driving through as either Whitefish or Bigfork and the schools don't rate nearly as well, at least if you're just looking at testscores. Maybe a bit more blue collar, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd be curious to hear more.
What did you end up doing ?

We are looking at the same right now - aiming to move from Kansas City to WF area in Sept/Oct 2017 ...

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
The OP last logged in 3 1/2 years ago. Unlikely to get a response. Did he move there? Could be yes or no. I'd guess no.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:37 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
My inlaws live a couple of miles down from Many Lakes. It's actually closer to Bigfork although it's a Kalispell address.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:55 PM

246 posts, read 350,102 times
For all you folks looking at moving their, Get yourself added to the Flathead Valley Rentals Facebook page and prepare for sticker shock. The wages in NO WAG support the rental prices. I got out after 12 years after trying to buy a house in 2014-15 & 16 is said hell with it. Could never get my income high enough to qualify. Went from 36K to 50K and what i needed for my business, Acreage with a shop and a home was north of 400K when i left. The granolas where moving in by the busloads after selling their 1000 Sq Ft apartment in California for $1,000,000 and thinking they where getting a bargain in the Flathead all the while driving prices so high the young and the elderly are having to leave. It's not as glamorous as y'all think.............

Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
for all you folks looking at moving their, get yourself added to the flathead valley rentals facebook page and prepare for sticker shock. The wages in no wag support the rental prices. I got out after 12 years after trying to buy a house in 2014-15 & 16 is said hell with it. Could never get my income high enough to qualify. Went from 36k to 50k and what i needed for my business, acreage with a shop and a home was north of 400k when i left. The granolas where moving in by the busloads after selling their 1000 sq ft apartment in california for $1,000,000 and thinking they where getting a bargain in the flathead all the while driving prices so high the young and the elderly are having to leave. It's not as glamorous as y'all think.............
no wag?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Columbia Falls has a well regarded public school system.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 AM

745 posts, read 1,285,233 times
Columbia Falls is increasingly popular and rumor has it a large company is moving in soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana