Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 29,185 times

Advertisements

If you zoom in on Google maps, it shows the property boundaries in detail, and when you're looking on the banks of the Swan River, it looks like on both banks there are long, narrow bands of land that I would presume to be public land. Is that correct?

Does one have access to the banks of Swan provided you enter from a point of public access?

Also, as far as clearing a longer driveway, how effective is an ATV equipped with a snowplow going to be? I don't have a truck to this point and do have some fairly snow-worthy vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 03:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
i can answer the plowing snow part. I plow about 600 ft of driveway, over 300 of it is pavement, the rest is gravel. Most is 2 lanes wide. I plow it with a 400 Honda with a blade. 25-30 minutes and I am done. Works outstanding.

The one thing you want to remember is that snow happens more than once. hahaha Don't just plow the width of the driveway and leave a large ridge along the sides. When it snows again, you don't have anywhere to push the snow and your driveway gets narrower and narrower and narrower...... Trust me, I am the voice of experience. That's exactly what I did the first year.

I actually plow several places in the little town I live in, plus I do a sidewalk that is about a half mile long. Once you know the terrain, you can plow at 25-30 mph and the snow will really fly. It actually works out much better than a tractor or a pickup, as long as you plow when it's manageable. Don't wait until it's 3 feet deep and frozen. You'll love it.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
My understanding of stream access law is you are to stay in water course after getting in at public access spot & not get out on bank....so it is okay to be either walking in water or floating in boat. The law did not intend the private property of others adjacent to waterways to be used.
Fences are not always built to designate property lines. It is customary to fence livestock out of riparian areas.

Here is a more accurate map source for land ownership determination..
Land Ownership Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana