Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,526 times

Advertisements

wind is rather common in Montana in the winter months. We get the polar jet stream directly overhead which causes much wind especially east of the divide. Windy areas are Livingston for sure, Whitehall can be windy and south down around Waterloo, I don't know the GF area at all so won't comment. I know some private individuals who have their own wind turbines and they generate enough power to sell some back to the state. If you plan on staying in one place for a long time, it could be a good investment.

East of the divide gets quite a lot of sunny days in the winter so solar is another good way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:35 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
Theres something that says progress when you look at 300 wind turbines on a ridge. Many complain about the noise? as well. Funny how Kennedy didnt want any in there vacation area back east. wouldnt look right there.
That's interesting about Kennedy, I hadn't heard that and it kind of makes him look like a jerk. Some of the really promising wind farm locations could be located in places like eastern Wyoming where it's windy most of the time and the population is minimal. It's also not very scenic in that area so I don't think anyone would mind. I also remember the wind around Livingston. It just seems to funnel through that area much of the time. They've come a long way in wind generated electricity and I do think there's a bright future for it.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Why not put wind turbines along existing structures, like freeways, and along the route of existing power lines, particularly high-tension lines? That would minimize the visual impact, and a lot of MT freeways and power lines already run smack across high-wind areas.

It occurs to me to wonder if a wind generator (especially the big scoop kind) could be mounted in the frame of a high-tension tower, and feed directly into the lines. That would eliminate the need for "wind farms" entirely, and the lineman roads already provide truck access.

Anyone here in the power industry who could comment intelligently on that idea?

~REZ~

Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 49,228 times
Default Middle eastern oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Great Falls is one of the windier cities in Montana. There are a number of locations that would be ideal for wind power in the western states and I've read that if the US aggressively pursued wind power it could actually provide over 40% of our electricity. That's pollution free energy and would reduce our dependence on middle east oil. Wind can be a little annoying but why not get something out of it?
Only about 3% of our electricity is generated using oil, we EXPORT more oil than is used to generate electricity. The foriegn oil sound bite is one of the many "popular truths" about wind energy. The whole industry is based on bogus claims and wishfull thinking. Wind turbines will never provide more than 5% of our electric generating needs. Get the facts at. www.wind-watch.org/

Later, Navin

Old 02-15-2007, 09:18 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times
Wheatland County is currently home to the top-producing wind farm in the country: the Judith Gap Energy Center. The Judith Gap wind farm has benefited everybody in Wheatland County.

$2.3 million in impact fees are literally blowing into the county.
Property taxes on the project will generate $1 million this year and $1.4 million every year after.

The Judith Gap Energy Center currently supplies a little over 8% of NorthWesterns Power Grid in the state alone.

For a county with an area of 1,423 square miles and only the population of 2,068 folks to fill it, that's a tidy little chunk of change.....

The Wind Farm covers 14,300 acres and has put Wheatland County on the map as the Wind Energy Capital of the USA.

The GE 1.5sle Wind Turbines will produce electricity at even a 9 mile per hour "breeze".
Noise generated from the turbines amounts to only 30 decibles at 45 miles per hour, and the 262 foot towers actually compliment the geography.

And here we thought that *Bozeman really had it goin' on...heh heh heh.....

We know where the money is around these parts, that's for sure....

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 02-15-2007 at 09:29 PM..

Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 AM

369 posts, read 1,454,902 times
Reziac states:
Quote:
It occurs to me to wonder if a wind generator (especially the big scoop kind) could be mounted in the frame of a high-tension tower, and feed directly into the lines.
Something in my non-existant electrical engineering degree tells me that a wind generator putting out a couple hundred volts DC would have trouble feeding 'directly into the lines' carrying 50,000 volts!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
Only about 3% of our electricity is generated using oil, we EXPORT more oil than is used to generate electricity.
I realize that fact. You make it sound as though wind can't generate electricity but the potential is enormous. What I'm suggesting is that in another generation we could have a great number of electric vehicles that don't use oil and are powered by wind generated electric power. Germany and other nations are leading the way but of course the US is lagging far behind as it always is. I don't think one source of energy will supply our needs but wind power could be a very substantial part of it. I also suspect that certain industries will go to great lengths to ridicule new ideas because it might be detrimental to their own interests. There's always people who can be converted to the cause (like yourself) who think they're getting the real lowdown on the situation when in fact they're just being used by corporate interests who are simply promoting their own agenda.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
How does a 262ft tower compliment an area? the land is bare praire grassland and its a steel tower. Ted Kennedy did not want wind generators in the Kenny bunkport MA. area. said it would ruin the view, rich summer homes ya know. Only 30db while running? how far away would you have tobe? 30db is quiet, but I have been by them they are louder than that. Next time Ill get a reading myself. Dont get me wrong I think there a ok idea, but once you get 200-300 of them on a ridge, seems most dont like them. Ive been around them while they have been built.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:20 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
How does a 262ft tower compliment an area? the land is bare praire grassland and its a steel tower. Ted Kennedy did not want wind generators in the Kenny bunkport MA. area. said it would ruin the view, rich summer homes ya know. Only 30db while running? how far away would you have tobe? 30db is quiet, but I have been by them they are louder than that. Next time Ill get a reading myself. Dont get me wrong I think there a ok idea, but once you get 200-300 of them on a ridge, seems most dont like them. Ive been around them while they have been built.
I think you might just have to look at them.

These aren't the towers of the 60's era.
The 30db comes in right at the bottom of the tower itself.... and the Judith Gap Wind Farm doesn't have them all perched up on a ridge in a row, and they are located throughout some of the best looking wheat and ranch land in the area.

If you get the chance, just cruise up 191 north between Harlowton and Judith Gap.... you can't miss 'em.... they're on both sides of the highway.
Jump out of the truck.... run over.... and stand under one... up close and personal..... and you'll see what I mean.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,270 times
Heck with wind generators, what if we trained all the prairie dogs and ground squirrels to run on those little wheels that hooked up to a underground generator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana