Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 AM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times

Advertisements

I'm a city girl dating a man who has lived a rural lifestyle his entire life. He is headed to Helena in a couple of months for a job and really wants me to join him. It's by far the largest city he's lived in since I met him 2 years ago. I love mountains and gorgeous scenery but I'm used to and enjoy amenities, culture and diversity. I live in the Chicago area and I'm pretty tired of freezing temperatures, snow, wind and no sun for days during the winters here. I would really appreciate any information people are willing to share about what Helena is like and if they think someone like me would like it and/or be accepted. I've experienced some anti-urban sentiments from some people he knows (not aimed at me directly, more generalities) so I'm curious if this is something I would encounter in Helena. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
I'm a city girl dating a man who has lived a rural lifestyle his entire life. He is headed to Helena in a couple of months for a job and really wants me to join him. It's by far the largest city he's lived in since I met him 2 years ago. I love mountains and gorgeous scenery but I'm used to and enjoy amenities, culture and diversity. I live in the Chicago area and I'm pretty tired of freezing temperatures, snow, wind and no sun for days during the winters here. I would really appreciate any information people are willing to share about what Helena is like and if they think someone like me would like it and/or be accepted. I've experienced some anti-urban sentiments from some people he knows (not aimed at me directly, more generalities) so I'm curious if this is something I would encounter in Helena. Thank you in advance.
1. Helena is a large Montana small town. There are some cultural activities, but not nearly on the same scale as Chicago. There are basic stores, a few boutiques, one Macy's.. If you're accustomed to the shopping lifestyle Helena will leave you cold.

2. If you love the outdoors, Helena is a paradise. Tons of forest, trails, mountain biking, rivers and lakes, hunting, camping. It's all right here.

3. Anti-urban sentiment- yes. Most people that live here accept it and don't want it to be a Chicago. I lived for a while in the DC metro region and I hated it. I moved to the country (fled actually) because I can't stand that rat-race lifestyle, amenities or not. You will find in Montana a lot of people will not give 'boo' for urban lifestyles. No one is going to poo-poo you because you are from Chicago, but if you start going on how much better Chicago is, or it has this and that and Montana needs some of that... Yes- you might get some flak and a few words. I've not experienced any of that, however I don't talk about that stuff.

4. Helena is cold but sunny in the winter (mostly). Dry cold. Can be a tad windy at times, but I'm sure compared to Chicago it would be a pleasant change.

5. I find Helena a nice little place. Not too crowded, ample outdoor activities.. It's a great place for us.

Hope this helps. Gotta run- today is first day of grouse and me and the dogs are going for a walk in the woods

Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Threerun that does help. I'm glad to hear about the sunshine, that's a huge plus. As for cold, I'm not a fan. I always imagined if I left Chicago it would be for a place in California, Arizona or New Mexico so I could leave the snow and cold behind. I get along with most people and wouldn't expect Helena to be, or turn into, Chicago. I'm hoping the beauty of the country will win me over and there will be enough to do inside and outside to keep me happy. I'm thinking I could get back to horseback riding and have some amazing country to do it in. I do love to shop and I love my spa time so hopefully I can meet those needs even if it's on a smaller scale. I guess I'll just have to see for myself. Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
The shopping is pretty thin--someone above mentioned a Macy's, but it's not a full-line Macy's. There is no mall (well there is, but it's virtually empty). There's a TJMaxx and a Ross in a pinch, and a few good sporting-goods stores. You learn to really love Target, shop when you're out of town, or do a lot of shopping online. Or just shop less.... There are good restaurants but nothing like what you have at your fingertips in Chicago. Of course there are spas as well. It's just a small city/big small town.

It's very pretty. Surrounded by mountains. You'll have lots of opportunity to ride horses, boat, hike, etc. 20 minutes to the ski hill, 20 minutes to the lake(s). You can float the Missouri in the summertime--endless outdoorsy things to do here.

Not a whole lot of cultural activities; we have a symphony and seasonally will have visiting ballets in conjunction with our local studios. Not a lot of concerts, and just a small community theatre. While it's certainly not a place that you'd call culturally diverse, I think people here are accepting of people of every origin (race, religion, etc. etc.). There just aren't large populations of any particular minority here.

The cold here is dry, and we don't get a whole lot of snow most winters. It comes and goes. It is a long winter, though, without the distinct springtime you are used to in Chicago. Summer doesn't really arrive until mid-June. As mentioned above it's mostly blue skies all winter long.

A lot of Montanans would consider themselves "anti-city," I suppose, in that they really love it here and can't understand why someone would want to live in the city (plenty of those having spent no time in any city, ever, lol). But they aren't hostile toward anyone coming from a city. There are plenty of transplants here and elsewhere in MT. A lot of people here just want it to stay the way it is, and will give you an earful about out-of-state big landowners shutting them out of property they've formerly had recreational access to. I can't really think of any other way people might be anti-urban around here. Most people mind their own business and don't really worry about hassling anyone.

In a smaller town in MT, I think some of your fears would be really well founded, but Helena is just big enough to not be totally "small town." Missoula, Bozeman, or Billings might have a little "bigger" attitude, but Helena is livable for someone used to city life. It's just like living in the suburbs, but with worse shopping .

Old 09-12-2014, 11:38 PM

Thank you Montanama. Your post is very helpful. I guess I'll be doing my shopping on line or when I travel. That will be an adjustment for me but not the end of the world. He bought a place in Montana City - do you know anything about it?

Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
Thank you Montanama. Your post is very helpful. I guess I'll be doing my shopping on line or when I travel. That will be an adjustment for me but not the end of the world. He bought a place in Montana City - do you know anything about it?
Montana City is a small CDP that's more or less a Helena bedroom community with an elementary/junior high school, a gas station, a hotel, a bar/restaurant, a post office, volunteer fire department/EMS services...that's all I can picture for amenities and services at the moment.

Typical suburban-style housing; fairly high median income; nice location; very well-kept (no front-lawn junkyards or trailer parks that I know of). I actually remember hearing something a few years back that MC is poised to be annexed into Helena's city limits. That has yet to actually happen, but any boundary between South Helena and MC is becoming increasingly obscure, and the larger amenities are no more than 20 minutes away via the west frontage road along I-15 or Ash Grove toward East Helena.

I hope you find the area comfortable. I personally love Helena, and it's one of the few communities in the state where I would live long-term (for what it's worth, I'm from Montana and am reasonably familiar with it at-large).

Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Montana City is nice. We almost bought a home there, but opted for North Valley instead. Really close to Helena..

Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
Montana City has the highest per capita income of any "city" in the state .

It's a small bedroom community as mentioned above, but with nearly all middle to upper-middle range homes as well as many of the nicer homes in the Helena area. It's nice! It's in the next county but functions pretty much as a part of Helena.

Housing in Helena can also be unexpectedly different--we really don't have master planned communities or the sorts of subdivisions one is used to seeing in other parts of the country. Not a lot of architectural interest happening either. It's one of my least favorite things about living here. (There are pockets of historical homes, and the occasional truly beautiful custom home, but by and large homes are builder-ish around here.)

Old 07-17-2016, 02:11 PM

I know it's been a long time since I posted this thread but I made it to Helena and I have fallen in love with it. It will be a year at the end of this month. We are actually in Montana City and have an amazing view of the mountains on a lovely lot in the foothills. I love the deer and elk and everyone is very nice. I have to say this last winter was better than most Chicago winters. I don't miss the heavy traffic and while I don't have a problem with crowds I appreciate the elbow room here. Thanks for your accurate descriptions of Helena. I love this charming city, its lovely residents and of course the endless beauty.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
Thanks for the update.

"Elbow room" is a great way to put it. We live in NW Montana and I keep using the phrase "breathing room" to describe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana