Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 35,046 times

Advertisements

I have 2 weeks of vacation coming up in November to research a few places in Idaho that we are looking at relocating to in the next 18 months. We have since decided to open up our research range to include Montana but we know NOTHING about Montana, other than the pictures are beautiful.
I have read a lot of information about the state, but am having a hard time coming up with locations to physically visit in November to see if its what we are looking for.
Husband: Hunting/Fishing/Shooting/Anything outdoors
Me: Anything goes, I'd prefer a quiet community with a shorter drive to somewhere with some shopping and nightlife, and by nightlife I mean a nice dinner and drinks, maybe a movie. Starbucks a must (thats the City girl coming out in me...)

Any advice on a must see for our trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 03:58 PM

8,503 posts, read 8,811,218 times
I'd suggest you consider
visiting Kalispell, the Bitterroot Valley (Florence to Hamilton) and perhaps Helena.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:53 PM

684 posts, read 1,151,701 times
Billings-largest in Montana. Southcentral part of state. Good weather (for Montana). Most entertainment; 2 colleges; large medical facilities; all activities, except rugged mountains like western Montana; most transportation options.Politically-moderately republican, but liberal in many ways. Large se;ection and variety of restayrants and stores. Growing quickly.

Bozeman and Missoula-college towns. Variety of activities, especially outdoors. Good restaurants. Missoula-liberal. Bozeman-moderately liberal, but with its share of right wingers. Bozeman is growing quickly, and real estate prices are off the charts (for Montana).

Bitterroot valley- beautiful part of state with many outdoor recreational sites. EXTREMELY right wing,politically.

Helena-nice, capital city; near much outdoor recreational opportunities. Politically moderate. Might not appeal to the OP/wife, however; smaller "feel" than others, althoughthat is because it is smaller, but it's more than that that gives that feel. Some nice restaurants

Old 08-10-2016, 11:33 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Billings-largest in Montana. Southcentral part of state. Good weather (for Montana). Most entertainment; 2 colleges; large medical facilities; all activities, except rugged mountains like western Montana; most transportation options.Politically-moderately republican, but liberal in many ways. Large se;ection and variety of restayrants and stores. Growing quickly.

Bozeman and Missoula-college towns. Variety of activities, especially outdoors. Good restaurants. Missoula-liberal. Bozeman-moderately liberal, but with its share of right wingers. Bozeman is growing quickly, and real estate prices are off the charts (for Montana).

Bitterroot valley- beautiful part of state with many outdoor recreational sites. EXTREMELY right wing,politically.

Helena-nice, capital city; near much outdoor recreational opportunities. Politically moderate. Might not appeal to the OP/wife, however; smaller "feel" than others, althoughthat is because it is smaller, but it's more than that that gives that feel. Some nice restaurants
This sums it up!

Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,539,692 times
All of Montana is an outdoors person's paradise.

I think Helena would fit your needs best. Second would be Missoula.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:29 PM

35 posts, read 41,350 times
Check out Billings for sure!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,375,361 times
It depends on what you're looking for. Eastern Montana is plains, the western part is nicer (mountains, lakes, trees).

I travel all over Montana for my job, and my favorite parts of the state is the Missoula area and the Flathead Lake area (Kalispell, Whitefish, etc.)

Personally, I think Billings is a pit. I used to live SE of Billings in Wyoming, and I hated to have to go there to shop or get medical services (although the hospital is quite impressive).

Bozeman is decent, probably worth a look depending on your needs.

Great Falls is a miserable, cold windy... hole. I can't say anything good about it.

At the end of the day, it's going to depend on if you'll still need gainful employment or if you are able to work online or retired.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:46 PM

387 posts, read 555,616 times
I really like Great Falls. The people are great, there are now fun events in the city and it's hasn't been price gouged like a lot of the state, the surrounding countryside has a lot to offer in terms of activities, and you can buy pretty much everything you need but could live outside of town if you don't mind a short commute.

My friends who live there really love it.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:24 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecyn50 View Post
I have 2 weeks of vacation coming up in November to research a few places in Idaho that we are looking at relocating to in the next 18 months. We have since decided to open up our research range to include Montana but we know NOTHING about Montana, other than the pictures are beautiful.
I have read a lot of information about the state, but am having a hard time coming up with locations to physically visit in November to see if its what we are looking for.
Husband: Hunting/Fishing/Shooting/Anything outdoors
Me: Anything goes, I'd prefer a quiet community with a shorter drive to somewhere with some shopping and nightlife, and by nightlife I mean a nice dinner and drinks, maybe a movie. Starbucks a must (thats the City girl coming out in me...)

Any advice on a must see for our trip?
Since you're going to Idaho anyway, and you only have two weeks, you need to work with the plan you've already got, which means focusing on the areas of Idaho you're going to visit (because ID is a very, very long state), and pick the areas of Western MT that are within reasonable range. Are you going to the Boise/Idaho Falls areas? Then pick the Bitterroot Valley and Missoula, and possibly Bozeman. If you're going to check out Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint, you can include Missoula but also go further north to Kalispell and Whitefish. I assume you'll be driving from Idaho locations to Montana (although November isn't the best time for that kind of exploration). If you're going to be flying, then you can of course pick any airport in MT, such as Billings, but I would still say that your best bet would be to include Missoula no matter what your Idaho plans are.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,375,361 times
I don't think I'd fly into Billings. It's in the eastern (crummy) part of the state where nobody wants to live. If you're going to look at the northern reaches of ID and western MT, I'd fly into Spokane.

I have co-workers that fly into Spokane whenever we have work in Missoula to do. Flights are more plentiful and cheaper, ditto for rental car options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana