Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,650 times

Advertisements

Hello. I love the Helena area, and there's lots of nice places to live around here. I really like the downtown area and West-side if you can afford it (lots of cool old mansions & Victorians). Also, we have three great lakes nearby. If you want to live in a small town in the Helena area, Townsend is a good choice. There's an opportunity to get a pretty good deal with a lakeview/mountain only about 25 minutes from Helena near Townsend. However, if you want to live closer, East Helena is the cheapest, although the water bills inside the East Helena City limits are ridiculously high. Clancy, Montana City, etc. south of Helena are great. I've lived in Great Falls, Missoula, Bozeman, and Helena. Helena is definitely my favorite. However, get here soon, as housing prices are going up about $40-$50K each year now! Helena is the next big thing in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 304,207 times
I just wanted to first apologize for not being here to see all of your lovely posts! I have been a bit busy trying to get ready for our move there. Secondly, thank you all so very much for filling me in!

A small town sounds absolutely lovely. We're California-transplants so we've never really "fit in" with the mentality here.

My husband and I are in our 50's and live a quiet life with our dogs. We don't go to the movies much or do the "night life," I love to cook so we hardly ever go to restaurants - although I must admit we do an occasional pizza-feast! LOL! We don't entertain at all, our main entertainment comes from good conversation and quiet evenings. We're certainly not rich and certainly cannot afford to buy one of those rediculous looking Montana-mansions with security fences surrounding the property! Heck, even if we *were* there's no way we'd be comfortable in something like that. Sorry if I offend anyone, but those houses seems so Anti-Montana.

Just give us a cozy home and a warm fire - if you know what I mean.

We don't need to be close to schools since our children are grown, and we don't need to be close to churches. One thing though, I would love to have a few horses since I love to ride - don't think I need a million dollar ranch for that though... So I'd like to know if there are towns that I can raise a few horses in.

My heart has always belonged to Montana since I was a little girl and when I found out that I was adopted it all made sense as to why I loved Montana so much. When I met my husband 35 years ago, I found out that he was the type of man that wanted whatever made me happy and when I shared my hope of moving to Montana one day with him, he grew to love my dream as much as I.

And now that the last of our children have moved on with their lives, it's time for us to do the same.

I have a dear friend that lives in Idaho and when we visited her one year, I loved the outdoor feeling of that state - and so in my mind it was a toss up between Idaho and Montana.

But during the Christmas holiday I went to visit my grandfather in Browning (that's why I wasn't here!), and as soon as my feet touched Montana soil (at one point we pulled on the side of the road), I felt as if I was finally home. The excitement of standing on that ground brought tears to my eyes. You might find it odd, but it felt as if I had just been reunited with a very old, long lost friend...

The clean wintery smell of pine and cedar filled me to overflowing and my eyes could hardly believe the beauty it was seeing.

It was SO hard to leave Montana and come back here to Cali. I was so sad that I cried most of the way back. Y'all can laugh at me if you want but my heart felt as if it was attached to a giant rubberband that was trying with all its might to tug me backwards to where I was supposed to be.

We've been trying diligently to get jobs there so that this move can finally happen for us - so if you all can please keep my husband and I in your hearts and prayers that would be wonderful.

At this point, we're not picky as to where we live as long as we can find work and a place to live. My grandfather offered us to live in Browning but I explained that it was WAY too cold up there for me!! LOL! Needless to say he got a kick outta that...and called me a city-girl

Thank you so much again everyone and I will certainly visit the links that have been suggested to us!

Many blessings to you and yours,
Sunny

Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,278 times
>>> We're certainly not rich and certainly cannot afford to buy one of those rediculous looking Montana-mansions with security fences surrounding the property! Heck, even if we *were* there's no way we'd be comfortable in something like that. Sorry if I offend anyone, but those houses seems so Anti-Montana. <<<

Exactly......

I've often wondered who people like that are trying to impress. "Certainly not anyone around here, that's for sure."
Actually, I think it's kind of a waste of time and resources to have a "Montana-Mansion".
Sure, they've got this monstrocity of a house...... Maybe they are just trying to impress themselves or something.

Many of us who are native to the state, have got plenty of money, and, could most likely very easily build something as large as that..... but we aren't so insecure so as to have to build something as large as that, just be to be accepted or liked...... by our community.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 304,207 times
Exactly......

I've often wondered who people like that are trying to impress. "Certainly not anyone around here, that's for sure."
Actually, I think it's kind of a waste of time and resources to have a "Montana-Mansion".
Sure, they've got this monstrocity of a house...... Maybe they are just trying to impress themselves or something.

Many of us who are native to the state, have got plenty of money, and, could most likely very easily build something as large as that..... but we aren't so insecure so as to have to build something as large as that, just be to be accepted or liked...... by our community.[/quote]

Well you know what? I think it's that age old mentality - bigger is better. Sad...

To be accepted or liked by anyone is not what you have - it's RESPECT. Respect for the land and respect for the people around you - that's the way my grandfather taught me. Maybe that's why my husband and I never fit in here in Cali - maybe it's because we respect people too much.

Funny, we go to northern Cali (Shasta) a lot and even over THERE - there is more respect than anyone here in Lost Angeles. People say hello and good morning or good afternoon or whatever the time of day is, and we enjoy that.

We don't consider moving to Montana as an escape from Cali - we see it as coming home.

We can't wait so wish us luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyE View Post
I just wanted to first apologize for not being here to see all of your lovely posts! I have been a bit busy trying to get ready for our move there. Secondly, thank you all so very much for filling me in!

A small town sounds absolutely lovely. We're California-transplants so we've never really "fit in" with the mentality here.

My husband and I are in our 50's and live a quiet life with our dogs. We don't go to the movies much or do the "night life," I love to cook so we hardly ever go to restaurants - although I must admit we do an occasional pizza-feast! LOL! We don't entertain at all, our main entertainment comes from good conversation and quiet evenings. We're certainly not rich and certainly cannot afford to buy one of those rediculous looking Montana-mansions with security fences surrounding the property! Heck, even if we *were* there's no way we'd be comfortable in something like that. Sorry if I offend anyone, but those houses seems so Anti-Montana.

Just give us a cozy home and a warm fire - if you know what I mean.

We don't need to be close to schools since our children are grown, and we don't need to be close to churches. One thing though, I would love to have a few horses since I love to ride - don't think I need a million dollar ranch for that though... So I'd like to know if there are towns that I can raise a few horses in.

My heart has always belonged to Montana since I was a little girl and when I found out that I was adopted it all made sense as to why I loved Montana so much. When I met my husband 35 years ago, I found out that he was the type of man that wanted whatever made me happy and when I shared my hope of moving to Montana one day with him, he grew to love my dream as much as I.

And now that the last of our children have moved on with their lives, it's time for us to do the same.

I have a dear friend that lives in Idaho and when we visited her one year, I loved the outdoor feeling of that state - and so in my mind it was a toss up between Idaho and Montana.

But during the Christmas holiday I went to visit my grandfather in Browning (that's why I wasn't here!), and as soon as my feet touched Montana soil (at one point we pulled on the side of the road), I felt as if I was finally home. The excitement of standing on that ground brought tears to my eyes. You might find it odd, but it felt as if I had just been reunited with a very old, long lost friend...

The clean wintery smell of pine and cedar filled me to overflowing and my eyes could hardly believe the beauty it was seeing.

It was SO hard to leave Montana and come back here to Cali. I was so sad that I cried most of the way back. Y'all can laugh at me if you want but my heart felt as if it was attached to a giant rubberband that was trying with all its might to tug me backwards to where I was supposed to be.

We've been trying diligently to get jobs there so that this move can finally happen for us - so if you all can please keep my husband and I in your hearts and prayers that would be wonderful.

At this point, we're not picky as to where we live as long as we can find work and a place to live. My grandfather offered us to live in Browning but I explained that it was WAY too cold up there for me!! LOL! Needless to say he got a kick outta that...and called me a city-girl

Thank you so much again everyone and I will certainly visit the links that have been suggested to us!

Many blessings to you and yours,
Sunny
Sunny,

You and your husband sound exactly like my wife and I...only difference is we are about 7 years behind you in age. We are going to try to buy horse property within the next two years there, before we get "priced" out by the wealthier Californians. When we make the move the youngest will be 18.
I figure we can use it as a vacation place or a rental, till we can make our move.
Right now our animal count is: 7 dogs, 6 cats, 3 horses, and a snake We also like a quiet existence, but at the same time like to visit and have dinner with the neighbors.
Luckily, we are in a great neighborhood (by Ca. standards). Our immediate neighbor doesn't think to highly of us, because we are not rich, and I have been working on the house (remodeling bedrooms, replacing windows with dual pane windows etc.), so things are not "beautiful" right now, because I can't afford to pay someone to do it all for me. All of our other neighbors can appreciate what I have been doing to the house. We would never make it in one of those "prima donna, HOA, gated, all houses painted the same color" communities.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM

189 posts, read 799,404 times
Prices around Helena are no place near CA levels that's for sure, but they're rising quickly and getting scooped up. This is definately one of the best parts of the state to be in.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,840 times
I would recomend Montana City. Its very quiet and beautiful views. The properties are going to be a little more expensive but if you are reasonable, which you sound like you are, you could probably find something in your range and be happy. Its where I would retire if it was close to that time.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:02 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,276 times
I live about 15 minutes east of Helena. The Helena valley is a great place to live. We have plenty to do in town but we are still able to live a country life. I agree with a previous poster-- Helena is the next place to go "land crazy".

Old 02-16-2007, 08:04 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I would recomend Montana City. Its very quiet and beautiful views. The properties are going to be a little more expensive but if you are reasonable, which you sound like you are, you could probably find something in your range and be happy. Its where I would retire if it was close to that time.
One problem with Montana City area is its hard to find bigger chunks of land. All I ever see over there is the small lots anymore...

Old 02-16-2007, 08:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
One problem with Montana City area is its hard to find bigger chunks of land. All I ever see over there is the small lots anymore...
Less to mow

The problem I see with the lots is that they are going up in price. Last year we were seeing most bare lots go for 60-80 thou. Now-a-days they are more like 90-124. Hope you got monies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana