Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 06:18 PM

35 posts, read 304,263 times

Advertisements

It's amazing how little companies will pay you in Montana.

I have 35+ years of Senior Administration, and all I was offered was $9.10 an hour to do the job of at LEAST 5 people! Wow, I haven't made that kind of money since I was 20 years old!

How do people survive there? Heating costs, gas prices, housing, etc.

I love Montana very much, but I'm also addicted to eating, being warm, having a roof over my head, and just the basic necessities of life.

Sorry to sound so negative and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but this was very disappointing for me today

Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 07:28 PM

25 posts, read 104,005 times
I found a very good job with a Repair Station that pays more than I am currently making overseas, which means it will be equivalent after taxes and that's not a bad wage at all. The location suprised me and helped make the decision to come back to the states. It took me awhile to find something that I thought was worth coming back to the states for. I would have to say just keep looking.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:31 PM

462 posts, read 1,708,872 times
I found it best to be self employed to be able to afford living here. You will certainly give up things to have the quality of life Montana has to offer. It's give and take like most everything.

There are more tech jobs moving to MT and in places like Bozeman where the population is exploding, there are more jobs and higher paying jobs. For instance, you mention being offered $9.10 an hour for what should (to you) be a much higher paying job, they are offering that amount at the McDonalds in Bozeman. The minimum wage here is still only $5.15 an hour or something like that, so you are correct, jobs in general don't pay as well, but then others who make more money don't get to live in such a great place as Montana!!! OK? Hope this makes it less horrible for you.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM

529 posts, read 1,894,018 times
>>> and all I was offered was $9.10 an hour to do the job of at LEAST 5 people <<<

Jeepers Creepers guy...... someone was sure pulling your chain...LOL

LadyFlyFish is right..
Going the note on your own business just might be the ticket here in Montana... I've been in construction all my life here, and I'll tell you for sure that even general laborers get paid more than that.

I also own an upstart internet company here in Great falls (started 4 years ago), and it's just amazing how much of that New York money we get.

I won't even venture to guess who it was that might have presented you with such an offer, but I can say that you probably got that offer, 'cause folks around here are probably pretty wise to it already.

Keep looking...... 'cause it gets so way way better than that.....

Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM

77 posts, read 337,908 times
I know my husband (Senior Landscape Architect) is making more than he was in Denver. Its less than he made in CA, but more than CO. Which still allows me to stay home.

So there are good paying jobs out there.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:02 AM

5 posts, read 28,917 times
SunnyE I couldn't agree more. I'm all the time searching adds for various professional jobs and its unbelievable how much experience they want w/so little pay. People here in Las Vegas and other areas are starting out at the salary that these companies in Montana want 5-10 yrs experience. I think there are a few organizations that pay well above Montana standards and competitve on a national level. I'm not sure how easy it is to get into these companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana