Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 PM

51 posts, read 231,233 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

Just read your message about wanting info on towns along the HiLine. I live in Glasgow and can give you info here. Glasgow is a town of 3000 and is growing but nothing like the western part of the state. We are very rural with plains and rolling hills. Great schools, low cost of living, family oriented, good recreation with Fort Peck dam, lots of new economic development planned for this area -- wind farm and possible oil refinery. New buildings and housing also.
In relationship to your job, I would ck with the state or county road department or can give you names of builders/developers in this area. If your looking for space, quiet living without any major hassles you will like this area.

Let me know if I can give you more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 10,391 times
Default Close houses

Yeah, seems the same contractors who built in S. California built the houses in Missoula (at least the last 10 years). sigh. One would think desert land is worth a small fortune! But, I digress. KTM

Old 01-14-2007, 07:13 PM

777 posts, read 3,202,711 times
Yup it is sad. To bad the city won't make an ordinance to keep from putting houses so close together. But there is money in it for them as well.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 76,152 times
Question ???

What is the High Line??????

Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 PM

777 posts, read 3,202,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoerr View Post
What is the High Line??????
Go to http://www.bigskyfishing.com/ and scroll downonthe left where it says "the Montana High Line" It will tell you all about it...i.e. history.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:02 PM

150 posts, read 800,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
For others who might not know, CRP is the Conservation Reserve Program of the US Dept of Agriculture. In eastern Montana, it pays between $33 and $41 per acre per year (the market land rental value) to leave prairie in native grass.
This is the kind of thing that makes me shake my head in disbelief. The people of Montana, known for being such rugged, anti-tax individualists, are quite happy to be paid by a federal agency for the condition of their land. Who's taxes pay for this bounty? All those 'blue' states who pay far more in federal taxes than they get back.

Perhaps in voters in high-tax states in the northeast and California were more 'rugged, anti-tax and individualist', Montana's federal farm 'welfare' system wouldn't exist.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM

529 posts, read 1,896,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYC View Post
This is the kind of thing that makes me shake my head in disbelief. The people of Montana, known for being such rugged, anti-tax individualists, are quite happy to be paid by a federal agency for the condition of their land. Who's taxes pay for this bounty? All those 'blue' states who pay far more in federal taxes than they get back.

Perhaps in voters in high-tax states in the northeast and California were more 'rugged, anti-tax and individualist', Montana's federal farm 'welfare' system wouldn't exist.
Actually, it has more to do with markets than it does in getting away with a freebie.....

The fed will pay you to "not farm your land" in order to keep the cost of things like bread, cereal, milk, eggs and anything else argricultural priced higher.....

Our farmers would stand to gain much more if in fact they did farm their land, but it's all about the fed needing the prices on things to be higher than they should be...... Farmers farmed their land, until the fed stepped in and offered them money not to.

Call it what you may, but nearly every state in the union that produces wheat, barley, and other things has a similar program in place... so it's not just Montana.....

If it weren't for those "soft in the middle" egocentric marketers, speculators and lobbiest back east and on the west coast, worrying about their fat middleman paychecks, and complaining about their taxes and not having the nads to do anything about it, then our farmers wouldn't have to be paid to not farm their land.... there would be plenty to go around for everyone and prices would have their feet on the ground.

Interestingly enough, there are even those in California that get much the same kind of deal..... as a matter of fact, this whole idea came out of California back in the 70's if memory serves me correctly. Hmmm....

Just a little something for you to think about the next time you buy a loaf of bread or a box of cereal.......

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 01-20-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,303 times
SANDERS COUNTY. We retired here 15 years ago. It has recently been discovered and as a result construction is booming but otherwise employment picture not the best. Mainly retirees moving in. Good amenities for small community including modern hospital, schools, churches, restaurants, etc. People are friendly. Real estate affordable compared with most areas of the country, and including some other counties/cities of Montana.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,651,248 times
I also live in Arizona and to be honest my advise is don't do it, especially if you're talking about the hi-line area. It's extremely cold there and not very attractive for the most part. It's also doing very badly economically. I'm from Montana and alot of my family still live there. You do live in an expensive area but it's beautiful and I really think you'd be very disappointed. I would really broaden my search to other states and really dig into all of the pros and cons of each of them. Whatever you do I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Location: Hopefully Montana soon. But Prescott, AZ for now.......
13 posts, read 65,985 times
Greetings everyone!

Wow! Guess I am waking up a seriously sleeping thread!

I have not managed to make it to Montana. YET!

As John Lennon once said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

Thanks to our WONDERFUL economy, my employer closed his doors after 50 years in business.

So, I was out of work for a while.

No longer in the land surveying biz. There's no one needing it right now.

I now work for a local funeral home.

What a switch!

I'm still interested in moving to Montana. I just have to get myself together again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana