Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:07 AM

71 posts, read 82,507 times

Advertisements

Good to know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,445,072 times
I’m also from Washington, but I love Montana, just the openness and vastness. I just came back from another trip & finally spent time in Butte, what an interesting town, all those historical buildings. If I was considering moving, I would think about Butte. Yes, I know about the Superfund issues, but that is probably what is keeping property values in line. Anyway, it looked like a good place to start another phase of life.

I bet you see the sunshine in Butte in winter a lot more frequently than in western Washington.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 PM

71 posts, read 82,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I’m also from Washington, but I love Montana, just the openness and vastness. I just came back from another trip & finally spent time in Butte, what an interesting town, all those historical buildings. If I was considering moving, I would think about Butte. Yes, I know about the Superfund issues, but that is probably what is keeping property values in line. Anyway, it looked like a good place to start another phase of life.

I bet you see the sunshine in Butte in winter a lot more frequently than in western Washington.
And in many of those fine old buildings are some incredible restaurants. Could not believe the quality in such a small town.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:54 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,408,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerbear View Post
everyone (from here) i talk to advises me to not buy a place in mt until i have rented and spent a full winter there. Anyone agree with this? I know it wouldnt hurt anything except a bunch of money being spent on rent.
absolutely, rent first

Old 07-06-2019, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,168 times
Rent first if you want to live here, and stay for an entire year. There is no way you can understand the Gestalt of this place by renting during the sunny summer months when everything is unicorns and rainbows. Also, the land isn't cheap unless your coming from the left coast and a TON of left coasters are invading this place and bringing their baggage so a once conservative state is turning into a lib state, especially in the college cities and towns. Challenging getting a reliable builder here now that we have a housing boom or anytime, so unless you spend a good amount of money, you'll get some contractor that won't show up because "it's hunting season", or "it's snowmobiling season", or "it's ski season", or some other BS...your wait time is most likely almost a year and supplies used to build are extremely expensive even for a minimal home.

People mention Butte a lot in this thread. I'm from Butte and the folks there are rough and work hard, but what you see is what you get. No nonsense......not like the foppy dudes from Bozeman or Missoula. Water quality is questionable in some parts of Butte because of the Berkeley Pit (largest open pit copper mine in the US during Butte's heyday) so beware.

Other than that remember: Wherever you go, there YOU are. So, if you're trying to escape something, going to a different location won't make a difference in who you are.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:55 AM

1,670 posts, read 4,375,305 times
Definitely rent and don't decide on any certain area until you've had time to really explore the State and endure a Winter, a mud season, a tourist season, and a fire season.

If it were our choice and we didn't have to earn a living, or could deal with year-round commutes of >1hr (no effin' thanks!), we'd leave the Flathead ... it's a weird place. Extreme wealth, extreme poverty, extreme meth problem, tourists in droves, the park, the lakes, superfund sites ... this place can't figure out what it wants to be. That said, we like it well enough but aren't sure it's going to be a long-term thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana