Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas all

I have just joined the forum to find out some more about the above.

My story is, there are 3 of us travelling the world on Motorbikes, we started in New York City back in April and have done the east of the US and the whole of Canada, up to Alaska and now are living in Whistler BC and enjoying the skiing for the winter.
Although i have already got itchy feet after nearly 3 months in Whistler we are really committed to staying here till April.
We have met amazing people in our travels which have made the trip really, just such fantastic hospitality and have met friends for life.

2 of us are continuing on at the end of April while the other pops over the pond for a wedding. We both have farming back grounds and are certainly not shy of a bit of hard graft and would very much like the experience of doing some Ranching. Looking through the site there are ranches that people pay good money to go and work but due to a bit of a budget this really would not be an option.

Hopefully someone could give us some advice and look forward to hearing from you. Check out the website if you want to know a bit more about us.

Harps
www.thebigbiketrip.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM

462 posts, read 1,706,974 times
Well, all the ranches around my area are cattle ranches and grow hay in the summer months while the cattle are grazing up high in the foothills and in the mountains. It requires lots of irrigation and moving pipe and cutting hay, baling etc. Most ranches around here have migrant workers from south of the border work for them. Also most of these men return each spring to work. I don't know what to tell you...sometimes you see ads in the paper for help moving pipe for irrigation lines.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:36 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Harps, went to your website to check out your global tour. Looks interesting and should be quite the adventure. Sorry, I don't have any ranch work suggestions in Montana.

Off topic comments below, sorry not all Montana related. Skip if you're not interested.

Thirty years ago I drove a pickup from California to Tierra del Fuego, mostly via Panamerican highway down to Panama. Then followed west coast of So America to Chile, across Andes to Mendoza Argentina and south to Ushuaia via Patagonia. Looks like you will follow similar route, but the roads are better now through Mexico and many parts of So America. How are you crossing from Panama to Columbia? Not easy to ship between places so allow time in Panama to make arrangements.
Are you going to circumnavigate So America, including the route from Brazil to Venezuela? Didn't know that a decent paved highway was put through there, but Brazil is on a tear to chop down the jungle. Good luck and safe trip, I'll bookmark your site and check it out when you're down the road a bit. For a good read, get "Road Fever" by Tom Cahill, a MONTANA resident. Hey, I'm back on topic. Cahill and his co-pilot have the record for fastest highway trip from Ushuaia Argentina to Prudhoe Bay (15000 miles) in under 24 days. This was done about 17 years ago. Sounds impossible but it was all verified and timed officially. Good luck and safe journey, cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana