Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 5,858 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-30s with three kids (ages 2 to 10). We currently live in a small Kansas town (pop. 2000, 60+ miles from nearest city). We really enjoy the outdoors and our area lacks opportunities for recreation. We would love to be closer to the mountains for skiing in the winter and hiking/camping/leisurely kayaking in the summer. Bike trails or at least lightly traveled roads for cycling needed. We would also like to do more ATV riding and snowmobiling in the future.

We love the small town life and enjoy being off the beaten path. Good schools are important and a friendly community where you walk into a place and know most of the locals. Employment is not a concern as I work remotely. I have to travel occasionally (about once every other month) so we would like be be about an hour away from a larger airport so that I have some flight options (Bozeman airport would be best, Billings also acceptable). We plan to purchase a property with some acreage (ideally 10-20 acres) for recreational purposes and so that we can maintain some privacy from neighbors. Would love a mountain view since I spend almost all of my time at home.

Because I have to travel occasionally in the winter months, we want to be in a location that I could get to the airport in the snow most of the time (so for instance, not interested in having to take Bozeman Pass to the airport). I understand there is always a chance for a major snowstorm that shuts everything down. We would also rather be in the valleys where there is not as much snow.

We've really felt drawn to Townsend and plan to spend a week there next month and plan to go back to MT in the summer to hopefully purchase a property. Are there other towns you recommend we consider? Our goal in moving is to really get outside and explore on the weekends and summers, so we want to be near enough to make that a reality.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 04:18 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Could also consider Laurel, Columbus, Big Timber. Manhattan MT.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
It sounds as if you've excluded the Missoula area already, but when you come back to MT for a visit, you might just take a day and explore the Bitterroot Valley. Easy access to the Missoula airport, and mountain views out of this world. River access. Not too far from the Flathead Lake. Downside: Grayer winters than on the other side of the Divide. Upside: Milder winters.

You might even drive the short distance from Missoula up to Highway 200 and explore the small towns (Paradise, Plains, Thomson Falls). It's still within a reasonable drive to the Missoula airport, although Thomson Falls will probably be pushing it. But it is a lovely area.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:53 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
For kids I'd pick Dillon. It's very outdoorsy with good public schools. The Little Skiers program alone would be reason enough.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:38 PM

Isn't I-15 pretty poor in the winter for commuting to the airport? I'd been avoiding that stretch for that reason.

Missoula doesn't have as many flight options (nonstop to MSP) so hadn't focused as much on that but could be an option. Is Highway 200 usually in good condition in the winter for commuting to and from the airport?

Old 02-06-2020, 02:42 PM

Dillon is out - I can't get a nonstop to MSP out of Butte and the commute to Bozeman is too far. Sorry, didn't see where Dillon was on I-15 at first.

Question still stands for how Hwy 200 is in the winter. I love the landscape of that area!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:09 PM

I'd rather the winter drive to Bozeman or Idaho Falls airport than the Hwy 200 to Missoula....Kalispell has difficult connections.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Hwy 200 & 93 to Missoula... it wouldn't let me edit my post.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBoundFamily View Post
Dillon is out - I can't get a nonstop to MSP out of Butte and the commute to Bozeman is too far. Sorry, didn't see where Dillon was on I-15 at first.

Question still stands for how Hwy 200 is in the winter. I love the landscape of that area!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wish I could give you a good answer, but we've only spent summers in the area so far (we have retirement property in Clark Fork, ID, but we haven't retired yet!). 200 is a truck/logging route, and I'm sure it is well taken care of in winter, but it is a two-lane road and can probably get dicey in winter weather. In summer they seem to relish doing road construction over and over again. But the advantage is that you won't have to cross any mountain ranges from Thompson Falls to Missoula, it's all driving along the rivers. And it is truly spectacular!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:43 AM

Thompson Falls to Missoula is MT winter driving with 4wheel drive full size pickup type vehicle preferred. Fog, ice, & drifted snow are common on 200. Hwy 93 has more traffic & better road maintenance. Hwy 200 beyond TF (toward Trout Creek) road conditions are more like a county road in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana