Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 07:47 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
My Uncle always wears a big 10 gallon hat.

He was raising Quarter Horses in Montana for a big breeder and got a job boarding Thoroughbreds in Kentucky. He still wears the hat 50 years later.

He got invited to a fox hunt and so he took his big Quarter Horse stud and western saddle. Felt kind of out of place with all those big jumpers and English pancake saddles.
They'd jump fences, he had to go find a gate.

He said the biggest difference between western and eastern hunters though was when they spooked the game they called out, "Tallyho the fox".
He'd say, "There goes the S.O.B"
Oh my gosh, your uncle sounds fabulous!!! I would have loved to have been at that fox hunt with him, under a Western saddle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 09:52 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I don't know how anyone can keep a hat on their head. One breeze and there goes the hat! I wear a pointy Asian hat when I garden, but it must be secured with string.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:41 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
My silly straw hat has a chin string... otherwise it would be sailing away. I thought some cowboy hats had 'em too? Haven't been paying attention.

My big sombrero (was a costume hat so exaggerated size, but works great for portable shade) on windy days almost needs an anchor....

Old 05-04-2021, 12:01 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Something I've wondered about for quite awhile.

When she wants to, my wife, who is 73, loves wearing either her black Felt (winter) or her Wrangler or Resistol straw (summer). I'm 72, spent a number of years with PRCA, as a "header" Team Roper. Either our black Felts or our straws are hanging on a hat rack by our apartment front door always. We currently live in northern Colorado (Eastern Slope). I wear mine to local Walmart and grocery store.

When I was involved with pro-rodeo, I seen many, many ladies wearing cowboy hats at rodeos I went to. Of course, that was back in the late 80's into the 90's. My "heeler" and I had a nightclub sponsor us and, back then, many ladies wore cowboy hats in there.

Wife and I have noticed, in both attending rodeos and watching rodeos on the Cowboy Channel, very few lady fans today wear cowboy hats at rodeos. And, some that do, especially the young gals, love wearing the modern-day wide-brim hats.

As for myself, I love seeing my wife in either a baseball cap or cowboy hat.

So, just what is the State of Montana like when it come to "women and cowboy hats"?
If you’re living in an apartment you shouldn’t be wearing a cowboy hat of any type. That’s just flat-out cultural appropriation. Pretending to be something you aren’t just ain’t right.....

Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM

3,271 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
If you’re living in an apartment you shouldn’t be wearing a cowboy hat of any type. That’s just flat-out cultural appropriation. Pretending to be something you aren’t just ain’t right.....
Look out ! Somebodies "Woke" I don't live in Montana and I haven't rode a horse since I was 12. Guess I'll just have to put up with having the sun in my eyes.

Can people who aren't ball players wear ball caps ? Geez, can't even wear a hat these days without ticking some off.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:15 PM

858 posts, read 681,846 times
Is this really a topic for discussion in 2021??

How about the state of men wearing skirts?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:17 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Just your opinion and very glad of that! Unless, of course, you're kidding with me. But, Driver 47 thinks you are serious.

Heck, there are folks that live in an apartment and own a horse. Horse and trailer are kept at local stables.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM

3,271 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Is this really a topic for discussion in 2021??

How about the state of men wearing skirts?
Oh there's a thread on that already. it's a real kerfuffel.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:06 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Heck, there are folks that live in an apartment and own a horse. Horse and trailer are kept at local stables.
Worse, there are people who live on a boat -- and own a car!

How they gonna drive that car on the lake??

Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Just another easterner, that does not understand Western Culture.

In the west with lots of sun in the summer and many days in the winter, and very dry air, a cowboy hat helps protect your eyes, and protects your head in snow storms.

How about people that wear baseball caps, and never play baseball?

And look at the ones that wear these caps on backwards.

How about those wearing swim suits, and never swim?

And this list could go on and on. In Montana where cows far outnumber people, cowboy hats are very appropriate wear for locals. In fact in some towns, if you are not wearing one, says you are an outsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana