Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 11:47 PM

7 posts, read 5,909 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Montana, because I've always wanted to live there, nothing to do with COVID.
It's a big state, yet I've heard there are no rentals. I find that hard to believe. I'm not looking for an apartment rental
just a small house in a smaller town. I don't need shopping malls or Starbucks. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 12:15 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halime65 View Post
Looking to relocate to Montana, because I've always wanted to live there, nothing to do with COVID.
It's a big state, yet I've heard there are no rentals. I find that hard to believe. I'm not looking for an apartment rental
just a small house in a smaller town. I don't need shopping malls or Starbucks. Lol
Any idea where you'd like to be? Would you need a job? What constitutes a small town to you?

The nearest town to me has a population of 232. Not many job opportunities, but there are a few rentals.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:38 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
"Small town" means different things to different people. Got to set a size range... and know what you are getting and not getting with that and the nearest bigger place. Want a place under 2,000 people but within 30-60 miles of a place over 25,000? Say what you want / are considering to get good suggestions. We don't know if you consider a place with 2,000 or 25,000 a "small town". This list is dated but it shows about 23 places between 2k and 25k. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_in_Montana Metro and county numbers would be bigger. For some, 2,000 people is a pretty large town.

Want a hospital in town, within 20 miles, 60 miles or 100 miles? There are a bit over a dozen on this list.
https://www.google.com/search?client...h=503&dpr=2.25
Probably some more clinics. Check.

Same question for a regional or national name grocery store. Probably a regional name grocery store in places over 1000 or 2000 but probably just one. National name maybe over 2k but always. Could take closer to 5k.

Walmart? 14 in state. Pick how close.
https://www.walmart.com/store/direct...hoCmvIQAvD_BwE

How much snow? Under 50 inches per year? 50-75? Over 75? Days below zero? Under 20 or over?

Restaurants in town? Under 5, 5-10, 10-20, over 20?

House rentals? Depends on area and price range. Outside of the cities, you will have to look harder, online and / or in person. Currently on Craigslist for Great Falls, houses for rent under $2000 month, are 10 houses, 6 in city, 4 in outlying areas. Helena, 3.4% of houses are supposedly vacant / for rent but less than 5 under $2000 on Craigslist and only 2 outside town. Here is one in Shelby:
https://greatfalls.craigslist.org/ap...366994841.html
Real estate sites might have more.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-19-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'ts been so hot and humid here that my brain cells are choking! A long time ago I lived in a town where the population was near 2000. Less than that I don't think would be for me. Member "NW Crow" below replied as well and YUP, I have not been thinking too clearly.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
"Small town" means different things to different people. Got to set a size range... and know what you are getting and not getting with that and the nearest bigger place. Want a place under 2,000 people but within 30-60 miles of a place over 25,000? Say what you want / are considering to get good suggestions. We don't know if you consider a place with 2,000 or 25,000 a "small town". This list is dated but it shows about 23 places between 2k and 25k. [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_municipalities_in_Montana[/url] Metro and county numbers would be bigger. For some, 2,000 people is a pretty large town.

Want a hospital in town, within 20 miles, 60 miles or 100 miles? There are a bit over a dozen on this list.
[url]https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-att-us-revc&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&q=hospitals+in+montana&ibp=g wp;0,6&rflfq=1&num=10&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-4rmHwb3yAhUCJzQIHaRgBswQxMEEegQIBRBH&biw=320&bih=5 03&dpr=2.25[/url]
Probably some more clinics. Check.

Same question for a regional or national name grocery store. Probably a regional name grocery store in places over 1000 or 2000 but probably just one. National name maybe over 2k but always. Could take closer to 5k.

Walmart? 14 in state. Pick how close.
[url]https://www.walmart.com/store/directory/mt?gclsrc=aw.ds&&adid=22222222255421687451&wmlspar tner=wmtlabs&wl0=b&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=314069252578&wl 4=dsa-572705105889&wl5=1013962&wl6=&wl7=9021301&wl8=&veh =sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwgviIBhBkEiwA10D2j1Cv3PpfG61ZCPx Y3QOX-JNMkXHQQVY13RX_3FZ4z2D8bZSqHTdkvhoCmvIQAvD_BwE[/url]

How much snow? Under 50 inches per year? 50-75? Over 75? Days below zero? Under 20 or over?

Restaurants in town? Under 5, 5-10, 10-20, over 20?

House rentals? Depends on area and price range. Outside of the cities, you will have to look harder, online and / or in person. Currently on Craigslist for Great Falls, houses for rent under $2000 month, are 10 houses, 6 in city, 4 in outlying areas. Helena, 3.4% of houses are supposedly vacant / for rent but less than 5 under $2000 on Craigslist and only 2 outside town. Here is one in Shelby:
[url]https://greatfalls.craigslist.org/apa/d/bedroom-house-shelby/7366994841.html[/url]
Real estate sites might have more.
Forgive me for not knowing my way around a forum. I am sure, eventually, I will figure it out. Thank you so very much for the helpful information. I will dive deep. I just want some peace and quiet around me. I am tired of neighbors/humans. I prefer to be around animals versus people. Animals love me, but I am smart enough to know to keep my distance lol. I don't want to be Grizzly bear dinner! I NEED to be near Water as well. I need NATURE, but yes, in case of emergency I do not want to be 100 miles away from civilization. My whole mind, body and soul has been yearning for Montana lately. Thanks for the tips. I will check it all out.
PLUS I am going to need a TRUCK woo-hoo!!!

Old 08-19-2021, 05:08 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Take your time. Do as you want. Use what you want, ask about other things as you wish.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:08 PM

156 posts, read 168,816 times
I don't recommend moving anywhere west of the Dakotas because of all the Californians moving there and jacking up prices. The Ozarks are a good option, so is Northern Appalachia (Eastern Kentucky, Southeast Ohio, West Virginia) if you're willing to put up with overcast. You could also just head to Alaska if you can afford it.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:59 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
I don't recommend moving anywhere west of the Dakotas because of all the Californians moving there and jacking up prices. The Ozarks are a good option, so is Northern Appalachia (Eastern Kentucky, Southeast Ohio, West Virginia) if you're willing to put up with overcast. You could also just head to Alaska if you can afford it.
Californians have been moving to the Mountain West for the last 30 years although they have avoided most of Wyoming except the most pretty areas. To the OP, rentals are hats to find in some of the pretty places and the prices are through the roof.

The question is what size town do you want, how far from a bigger city do you want to be, and do you want Plains or mountains?

Old 08-20-2021, 07:54 AM

1,811 posts, read 899,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
The ozarks suck. Too freaking hot and humid all spring, summer and fall. That area is best left ti hillbilly’s and rednecks.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:29 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
OP - I always liked Fort Benton. Less than an hour north of Great Falls and right on the Missouri River. Enough town to get the basics. Cold though, and a bit of snow since it sits in a bit of a bowl along the river, and the wind blows the snow into town. Another choice near Great Falls would be Cascade. Also on the River, and on the interstate into Great Falls or Helena. A prettier stretch of the river there. A little milder area to look around would be Dillon, MT. Still plenty cold and snowy (it is Montana), on I-15 south of Butte. Enough town for most everything. A small college in town, so plenty of rentals to support that population. Finding online rentals would be hard in these small towns. You might look at contacting relators in those towns (and other small towns), since many are also property managers. Most important, visit first. If you can, visit in October or November to get a taste of early winter, or April for a late winter visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana