Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 AM

777 posts, read 3,203,178 times

Advertisements

Well I guess I'll ask some questions about horses in MT, as I have had enough of the threads about "Californians" ruining MT, and it's time to change the subject

1. Is there a minumum number of acres per horse in MT? Where I live now, we are allowed 6 hooved animals per 1/2 acre. I was wondering if any such rules existed in MT.

2. Does it differ by county maybe?

3. Also, are there many people that look to have horses boarded? My wife would like to get enough property, to possibly board horses for folks that might need it (kind of a business idea).
3a Does anyone know if there is much call for this type of service there? Maybe those subdivided tract home Californians, that don't have horse property, but want horses

My wife lives, eats (not literally ) and breathes horses, and would love to run a business doing that. In fact sometimes I think I take a back burner to our horses
I assume there are plenty of places that offer up feed and tack.

4. What do most folks do with their horses in the frigid winter time?
4a. Enclosed/heated barns?
4b Indoor riding arenas? Seems like the horses would get out of shape waiting for "nice" riding weather. What do folks do to combat that issue?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 AM

529 posts, read 1,896,573 times
This should assist you in your quest for answers

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:NsALlLzDsrUJ:www.animalrangeextensi on.montana.edu/LoL/Module-5d/Lesson%25204%2520Grazing%2520Management.PPT+number +of+acres+per+horse+in+montana&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk &cd=2 (broken link)

Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
This should assist you in your quest for answers

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:NsALlLzDsrUJ:www.animalrangeextensi on.montana.edu/LoL/Module-5d/Lesson%25204%2520Grazing%2520Management.PPT+number +of+acres+per+horse+in+montana&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk &cd=2 (broken link)

Hmmm.... thanks for the link, but for some reason when I copy and pasted it to my address bar, it didn't come up

Oh and don't you ever sleep I have an excuse....I'm at work

Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 AM

Never mind...got it...had to fix the space on extension

animalrangeextensi on = animalrangeextension

Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
Hmmm.... thanks for the link, but for some reason when I copy and pasted it to my address bar, it didn't come up

Oh and don't you ever sleep I have an excuse....I'm at work
Oh sure, I do sleep

A couple of our tech op's guys left for Seattle yesterday to learn how to do Windows Vista and I've been filling in.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:22 PM

That link is some serious reading. I guess a lot of folks there, grow there own alfalfa etc. Here land is at such a premium, people just go buy bales at the local feed store. There is not really any "pasture" acres available here.

Almost seems like we'll need a degee in Ag. just to have a few horses.

Should be fun.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
That link is some serious reading. I guess a lot of folks there, grow there own alfalfa etc. Here land is at such a premium, people just go buy bales at the local feed store. There is not really any "pasture" acres available here.

Almost seems like we'll need a degee in Ag. just to have a few horses.

Should be fun.
Sorry that it appears to be so intense, but knowledge is power, and you can take what you need from that document and apply it to your own individual situation.

Nothing wrong with having healthy well managed stock, thriving on healthy well managed land.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM

989 posts, read 3,533,949 times
I would think a horse business would do great around here but every one I see looks to be a flop. I would love to have a place I could go to and ride when its real cold out, they could board horses for folks who don't have a place, they could have a fairer, they could offer training for horses and riders, they could maybe offer a transport service and even deliver hay for those that don't have a flat bad.

I've seen horse places like this make a go of it but they never seem to do well. Maybe its because most horse folks don't have money for this, maybe its because there just isn't enough interest in it; I don't know.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 PM

989 posts, read 3,533,949 times
You could even contract out to stand a few studs.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I would think a horse business would do great around here but every one I see looks to be a flop. I would love to have a place I could go to and ride when its real cold out, they could board horses for folks who don't have a place, they could have a fairer, they could offer training for horses and riders, they could maybe offer a transport service and even deliver hay for those that don't have a flat bad.

I've seen horse places like this make a go of it but they never seem to do well. Maybe its because most horse folks don't have money for this, maybe its because there just isn't enough interest in it; I don't know.
My wife is thinking along the lines of just boarding. Maybe find a local farrier that is good, and use him. Also not a bad idea with the trnsport portion of it. Neither one of us have enough experience to train people.
It will definitely take a lot more investigating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana