Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,481,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
First I agree with your sub title-they got the raw deal. curious how long you have been in metro, I packed it in when the land around Dammasch was chopped into a "village" with only one access out to I-5 past my house on a neighborhood street
No kidding. What a mess. Sometimes/or often, the people who hold the front lines get chewed up in the process of someone's political career.

I've been here a little over twenty years. I have local commitments for a bit longer, but I'm definitely looking to move elsewhere. Montana is gorgeous, and even visiting there, I'm offended by what is, imo, a kind of unconscious sprawl.

Wilsonville area is looking like southern California to me. Drive down I5 to California - all the freeway towns are the same. We have billboards on the freeways now - very generic.

In a perfect world, I'd own thousands and thousands of acres and turn it into a nature preserve for everybody when I passed on. You had good timing, packing it in when you did. Can't stop the mass population shifts, so it's best to look for your own little bit of earth, and do the best you can.... ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,632 times
I see some similaraties in Montana and Italy!

They do not want outsiders coming in and changing things!
They do not want outsiders coming in and complaining!
They do not want outsiders coming in and proclaiming bigger is better!
They wouldn't mind outsiders coming in and adapting their lifestyle!

I have experienced this first hand as my wife and I are looking for property in both areas.

In short, I hope that when someone does relocate (their own choice) it's becasue they want to enjoy the lifestyle that they "don't" have. Not change the world to match theirs.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLugnut View Post
I see some similaraties in Montana and Italy!

They do not want outsiders coming in and changing things!
They do not want outsiders coming in and complaining!
They do not want outsiders coming in and proclaiming bigger is better!
They wouldn't mind outsiders coming in and adapting their lifestyle!

I have experienced this first hand as my wife and I are looking for property in both areas.

In short, I hope that when someone does relocate (their own choice) it's becasue they want to enjoy the lifestyle that they "don't" have. Not change the world to match theirs.
Absolutely.

And I suspect it's the same in any area that has (or had) an "old-fashioned" lifestyle (rural or not), but is presently being invaded by newfangled yuppies bent on changing it into what they just left.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 PM

6 posts, read 34,788 times
Default Sympathies from Georgia....

After reading a good bit over this thread, I've seemed to come across a couple common problems.... Many people don't want people moving to Montana because 1) They are afraid that with a large increase in people, their lifestyle/pace would change dramatically and 2) They just enjoy living in a very low populated area and don't want people moving there for the sake of the population density getting greater.
Let me tell yall that Georgia (as well as most of the south) feels yall's pain. Especially within an hour or so of Atlanta. The south traditionally has been a sparsley populated, agriculturally based economy that has it's own deep, rich culture that, for the past 15 years or so, has been getting trampeled on.
Atlanta, which was once a great southern city, has been infected with crime and all kinds of disfunction. From one person trying to save his culture to another person doing the same, I wish yall luck and you have my support!

Matt

Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Careful Rickers, there may be a shoe hurled at you!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,635,793 times
I'll give a great example of what happens when controlling out of staters move in. Picture 3 years back. Small town, small school k-12, tight-knit caring community. Kids in the school who have undesirable homelives are given that little extra attention in the school. Parents are welcome at the school regardless of income,rent/own status,color,religion,background,past, ect.....Keeping families involved with their children used to be important. Kids were allowed to have fun while going to school. Yes, sometimes the fun goes too far but it was dealt with dignity and respect. Then, WHAM! A big family moves in and their friends and family from all over the country follow. They obtain positions in our school. A HUGE moral debate begins. What is right what is wrong according to these people's beliefs. Kids are put down because of their upbringing. God forbid a parent goes to a bar and have a beer, smoke or chew. A biased view of one religion is discussed in a high school class. Kids are warned by a certain teacher that if they ever hurt any member of his family, they better hope the cops get there before he gets to them, IN THE CLASSROOM DURING CLASS! One kid get written up for warning some high school girls about a registered sex offender living close to one of them. He gets written up for gossiping about a community member. gossiping? how about warning his friend so she does not end up a victem. Our school is cold and un-welcoming now. Parents feel like they are not welcome. It's like our school has become this secret society of only the select few. The gifted and talented program was started, but you guessed it, only a select few belong. Mainly faculty members kids. I have one son who qualified to begin Kinder at 4 but declined for personal reasons. I have nothing wrong with the program as long as it is not used as a status symbol. Our once fantastic little town has been turned into critical, walk on egg shells, predjudice community thanks to one family who moved here with the goal of changing our town to suit their lifestyle. The majority of the town is taking a stand, but they have succeeded in trapping enough to make a difference. Don't come unless you want to enjoy living here without changing locals lives.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,306,130 times
Sounds like a lynching is in order

Old 12-21-2008, 12:24 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Our once fantastic little town has been turned into critical, walk on egg shells, predjudice community thanks to one family who moved here with the goal of changing our town to suit their lifestyle. The majority of the town is taking a stand, but they have succeeded in trapping enough to make a difference. Don't come unless you want to enjoy living here without changing locals lives.
And here's a good example of how small-town, rural, "backward" Montana folks are WAY too polite and WAY too tolerant for their own good. If the locals had been LESS polite and LESS tolerant toward the new arrivals, they could have preserved their now-destroyed way of life.

Truth is, you're better off to be a little rude (or even a lot rude), to stand up and say NO, DAMMIT!! before the Assimilation. Because once it's happened, there's no going back.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:11 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,691,086 times
His little engine has no gas

Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,383,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
His little engine has no gas
Actually, his posts reveal gas, but no intellectual engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana