Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM

68 posts, read 240,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Really, the Helena valley is quite nice.
It's surrounded by mountains, but the valley itself is much larger than the Bitterroot valley is....

You'ld about have to visit, because the pics just don't do it any good justice.
thx i cannot wait to visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Sounds like California contractors have moved to Montana....

I do wonder if some people are confusing the permit with the license. Most places, anyone can build their *own* house under nothing more than the building permit, without being required to have any contractor license. It's when you build for someone else, usually with a dollar limit (typically, any job under $500 doesn't require a contractor license) that you have to be bonded, insured, licensed, and whatnot.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Sounds like California contractors have moved to Montana....

I do wonder if some people are confusing the permit with the license. Most places, anyone can build their *own* house under nothing more than the building permit, without being required to have any contractor license. It's when you build for someone else, usually with a dollar limit (typically, any job under $500 doesn't require a contractor license) that you have to be bonded, insured, licensed, and whatnot.
That's the point, you don't HAVE to be any of those things unless you do government contracts. This is the reason that they advertise and the news constantly says to check for insurance,check referances etc. because if you don't no one else will.
There is no law here that says you have to be bonded, or insured and the only contractors "license" is a Registerd Contractor which I quoted above and basically means that you have comp insurance or are exempt. If there is something I am missing after going to MT.GOV and speaking with them please enlighten me and let me know where I can find the requirement and how it is done.
The confusion is people are confusing this state with other states that have regulations.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:38 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Well, as California clearly illustrates, requiring all these things does not improve the quality of contractors' work; in fact, they routinely do such shoddy work here that it's almost like you automatically get a lawsuit as part of the deal!!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That's the point, you don't HAVE to be any of those things unless you do government contracts. This is the reason that they advertise and the news constantly says to check for insurance,check referances etc. because if you don't no one else will.
There is no law here that says you have to be bonded, or insured and the only contractors "license" is a Registerd Contractor which I quoted above and basically means that you have comp insurance or are exempt. If there is something I am missing after going to MT.GOV and speaking with them please enlighten me and let me know where I can find the requirement and how it is done.
The confusion is people are confusing this state with other states that have regulations.
Each County Community Development entity has their own sets of rules for contractors... you aren't going to find these said requirements on the state website. Each County in the state of Montana "requires" liability insurance (private or state workmans comp.), city or county license to operate under your trade, and any bonding that might apply to your trade..... It doesn't make a difference if you are a framer, concrete finisher, brick layer, or lawn mower..... you have to be licensed in the city or county that you are doing the work in.

Sure, you can go in and spend your $53.00, and then proceed to build somebody a house.... "but", without liabilty insurance, you will not be able to pull permit on behalf of the owner.... the owner has to do it, and, if the owner isn't the one that's "actually" building the house, then the County or City is going to want to know who is.... and if the guy who's actually building the house doesn't have liability insurance, or a license to operate in the county to build houses, then guess what?..... The project gets shut down.

Banks are another entity that watches contractors closely.
Most financial institutions anymore here, require that whoever is spending the owners money, be bonded to do the job..... Sometimes financing a new stick built house, can be held up, because it can't be proven that the contractor is legit.

In many cases, the contractor is required also, to be paid "only a certain amount" after various stages of the project is completed... The bank holds the money, and the contractor has to file lien releases, just to get paid.

Residential or commercial, it doesn't make a difference....

You might do well to inquire with your County, on just exactly what their requirements for licensing are.... these you will not find on the state website.
And every County has it's own set of rules for builders here in the state.

Of all of the Counties in this state that I've ever built in, Missoula County is the toughest.... Cascade County is tougher than Flathead County or Lake County even... but they all have their own set guidelines and require that "all" of the basics (liability insurance, bonding & licensing) be met before your project can proceed.
The Counties are the ones that enforce the rules, and not the state.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 07-25-2007 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Each County Community Development entity has their own sets of rules for contractors... you aren't going to find these said requirements on the state website. Each County in the state of Montana "requires" liability insurance (private or state workmans comp.), city or county license to operate under your trade, and any bonding that might apply to your trade..... It doesn't make a difference if you are a framer, concrete finisher, brick layer, or lawn mower..... you have to be licensed in the city or county that you are doing the work in.
I searched my county and yours, didn't find anything about building contractors license just a buisness license which doesn't require much of anything.
Quote:
Sure, you can go in and spend your $53.00, and then proceed to build somebody a house.... "but", without liabilty insurance, you will not be able to pull permit on behalf of the owner.... the owner has to do it, and, if the owner isn't the one that's "actually" building the house, then the County or City is going to want to know who is.... and if the guy who's actually building the house doesn't have liability insurance, or a license to operate in the county to build houses, then guess what?..... The project gets shut down.
Unfortuntely there are no building permits required in Flathead County, just an electrical permit and septic neither of which requires any type of license to pull if the homeowner does the work, otherwise a plumbing or electrical license is required. The only other license requirement is for medical gas.
After a search of Great Falls codes the same thing applies, plumbing,electrical and medical gas.
Quote:
Banks are another entity that watches contractors closely.
Most financial institutions anymore here, require that whoever is spending the owners money, be bonded to do the job..... Sometimes financing a new stick built house, can be held up, because it can't be proven that the contractor is legit.
And this is exactly what the homeowner should do. In any situation you have to protect yourself.
Quote:
In many cases, the contractor is required also, to be paid "only a certain amount" after various stages of the project is completed... The bank holds the money, and the contractor has to file lien releases, just to get paid.

Residential or commercial, it doesn't make a difference....
This is not a legal requirment it is a requirment of the lender or the contract you sign' Lien releases aren't always filed by the contractor in fact liens aren't always placed by them either. I was handed my lien release and none was ever filed.
Quote:
You might do well to inquire with your County, on just exactly what their requirements for licensing are.... these you will not find on the state website.
And every County has it's own set of rules for builders here in the state.
I have done this on multiple occasions and even had to explain the process to my out of state bank to close my loan.

I can waste bandwidth and server room with a cut and paste from Great Falls and Flathead building depts but I have done that enough. If there is something in print from a government please share it with us so we all may become better educated.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 PM

529 posts, read 1,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I searched my county and yours, didn't find anything about building contractors license just a buisness license which doesn't require much of anything.

Unfortuntely there are no building permits required in Flathead County, just an electrical permit and septic neither of which requires any type of license to pull if the homeowner does the work, otherwise a plumbing or electrical license is required. The only other license requirement is for medical gas.
After a search of Great Falls codes the same thing applies, plumbing,electrical and medical gas.

And this is exactly what the homeowner should do. In any situation you have to protect yourself.

This is not a legal requirment it is a requirment of the lender or the contract you sign' Lien releases aren't always filed by the contractor in fact liens aren't always placed by them either. I was handed my lien release and none was ever filed.

I have done this on multiple occasions and even had to explain the process to my out of state bank to close my loan.

I can waste bandwidth and server room with a cut and paste from Great Falls and Flathead building depts but I have done that enough. If there is something in print from a government please share it with us so we all may become better educated.

What I think I need to do is go down to Community Development and ask them why they don't have all of their specific requirements on their website...

Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM

That would be great giftshoppe, if you find anything new please let us know. I would love to see what other cities/counties are doing and maybe send it to our county commissioners to add some protection.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,967 times
Moving to Butte---any suggestions on trailer parks or land for sale.
Thanks,
newy

Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM

339 posts, read 1,168,028 times
I'd pick Bozeman or Great Falls - just because I really am craving a Pickle Barrel sandwitch right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana