Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 AM

47 posts, read 148,489 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am looking at moving out west someday & after some web browsing, am suprised at some of the house prices. I live in WI now & a house that would cost about 250,000 here costs maybe 150,000 there. I understand the reasons for the most part, bur that leads me to my question.

For example, in Cut bank area, I could afford a house around $130,000 with the money I make here now. If I was to move someday to that area, should I expect to find a job that makes that $130,000 seem like $250,000 because wages are lower for almost all jobs there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
CutBank is not a very big town. Your choices of employment would be extremely limited. That's the problem with small communities, there's just no business or job opportunities and people tend to leave these towns for larger ones in order to get a good job. That's why housing is cheap. I would be looking at some of the bigger towns if you're really interested in moving west. Bozeman and Missoula probably top the list.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
Montanaguy wrote:
Quote:
I would be looking at some of the bigger towns if you're really interested in moving west. Bozeman and Missoula probably top the list.
To which I'd add........and expect to pay thru the nose for a house. And get a lousy paying job.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
$150k arent cheap, you can get one in the Dakotas for less than half the price...

Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Yeah I figured as much. Do any of you live in small towns? How do you all make a living then? The whole reason for me wanting to move is to live in a smaller town, but still have an opportunity for a job. I think my best bet may be a mid size town then maybe in the range of 10,000 people?? Any input on places like Anaconda, Kalispell areas for cost of living?? I want to be within about an hour of divide, so eastern is not an option.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 PM

McCallister, one thing you have to note is how much house do you actually get for you money. the average/median house price in the western montana area is like around $200,000.....and pump that up if you get anything even as small as an acre, the problems is you really don't get much at all for that compare to other places.
Not to discourage you from moving to montana or to the west but there are lots of really cheap and nice places to live in this country, but living cheap doesn't even matter if you can't make any kind of living there. Problem with Montana is that for whatever employment oppurtunities there are there are lines of people waiting to take them, because everyone wants to move to Montana. So to many people chasing to few jobs.
Sure it's nice here, but it took me 20 some years to get my financial self together and then by the time I did housing prices had jumbed so much I couldn't afford to buy a decent house anymore without really strapping myself, financially speaking, something I don't feel comfortable doing, call me old fashion but I like living below my means not above, I know I'm a very deviant baby-bummer.
But like I said, not wanting to discourage from moving this way, but it's a big country out there. I think you can still buy houses at a fraction of Montana prices in places like mid-state New York or northern Maine, abiet they don't have the big mountains (which you really can't eat, or pay bills with) but they are beautiful places, and compared to here may offer a lot better employment oppurtunties, and the people are alot more down home than the foo-foo element that is increasing domintating our state here.
I lived in northern New England for a short period many years ago, my understanding is that it hasn't really changed all that much in all these years, and housing is still cheap. By contrast Montana has gone in the complete opposite direction. That is what I don't understand about people wanting to move to montana, western montana and bozeman area in particular.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
McCallister,
I just retired in December and I really studied the pros and cons of every state and even considered moving to Panama before I decided on Tennessee. I was born and raised in Montana but I've moved around alot since then and now I live in the Phoenix area. The southern states as well as parts of the midwest are much cheaper than most of the country. For me, climate is an issue. I really don't like cold weather so that ruled out quite a few places. If you're thinking of Montana I don't imagine that cold weather is a factor. I would recommend the book Places Rated Almanac as a good source of information on affordability, climate, crime, housing, jobs, etc. There's also alot of information on the internet. As JoeJoeMan mentioned jobs are a problem in Montana. A few of the counties in Montana actually have some of the lowest incomes in the whole country. It would be especially difficult for someone to move in from out of state with no personal connections that are often helpful in getting a good job. Anyway, consider all of your options and I wish you good luck.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Even if the cost is going up out there & people are lining up for jobs, I feel that if one really wants to make something happen, they'll find a way. I am by no means one of those people who want to move there to have a luxurious life or anything. I am only 25 yrs old and am one of the only people that lives within my means. I live in my own apartment since I was 18 yrs old, paid all my own bills(cars included), & don't have a college eduaction.

I need a change & want to make it happen somehow. Thanks for the honest advice though. I really apprecuate when people can give realistic observations too. It helps make sure people who really aren't ready for a move like this think twice.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM

McCallister, if you are going to do something it is best to do it while you are young, single, footloose and fancy free.
I don't understand some people who want to up and move to someplace 'nice' and have a family, and they are wondering about job oppurtunites where they are moving....to them I say "Get the job first", don't put your whole family at risk just because you want to move someplace 'nice'. Nice won't mean a thing if you have no income. It's one thing to put yourself thru tough times but not your family.
Anyway like I was saying, you are young and free spirited, and if you have to sleep in your pickup truck, It probably won't kill you.....Here's my suggestion, if you can, take an extented vacaction, say like the whole summer, head on off to someplace, like a resort area in a nice place like maybe Yellowstone park, find yourself a job for the summer, even if it's dish washing. See what you think and what happens go back home for the winter maybe, then maybe head back there, or off somewhere else next summer, get a feel for the country out there, get a feel for living far off from home, make new friends, and someday you may find yourself moving off to one of those places with connections you have made along the way and some insight into the area.
There is a down side of moving off and leaving your home.....there is no place like home, in your heart you may always miss your family and friends and the place you grew up. And the yurning in your heart may not leave you alone to rest as you grow older and your new life and new family may well prevent you from returning for anything more than a visit.
Life and change has it's ups and downs, but if you are young and adventurous...............it's a big world out there to explore.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,403 times
Part of the problem with housing here is that people who think houses are so cheap here come down and although my house is really worth $150,000 I could probably sell it to those people for $200,000 (or more) and they would think they were getting a good deal because the same house in where-ever would be selling for $300,000. Well, you are still getting duped. Don't pay more for these houses just because yours are so ridicuosly over priced. You shouldn't have to pay more either, even if you have the extra money due to the difference in your states economy. Are you really doing your self a favor by being taken advantage of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana