Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 PM

989 posts, read 3,533,949 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I live in Helena; my wife and I are looking for a spot to buy some land for a little hunting/weekend cabin. I'd like to have fishing not too far off, good elk/Pronghorn hunting, good horse riding around, some seclusion, and property prices that are still affordable.

We like the Sheridan, Montana area. I also like the Lincoln area. I don't want to be more than an hour or two from Helena.

Any suggestions from the folks on the forum who know any good spots would sure be appreciated.

Curly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 AM

529 posts, read 1,896,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Greetings,

I live in Helena; my wife and I are looking for a spot to buy some land for a little hunting/weekend cabin. I'd like to have fishing not too far off, good elk/Pronghorn hunting, good horse riding around, some seclusion, and property prices that are still affordable.

We like the Sheridan, Montana area. I also like the Lincoln area. I don't want to be more than an hour or two from Helena.

Any suggestions from the folks on the forum who know any good spots would sure be appreciated.

Curly
White Sulphur Springs

(Smith River Valley)

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 02-18-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Thank you. What do you know about the Sheridan area?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 AM

462 posts, read 1,710,937 times
AQHA, Sheridan is a very nice little town and the surrounding area is quite beautiful. You'd be close enough to the Ruby River and not too far from Ennis. The Beaverhead would be farther but Ruby Springs Lodge in Alder takes people every day in the summer over to Dillon to fish and Ennis to the Madison or north to the Jefferson. The Tobacco Roots are right at your doorstep with Mill Creek Rd. going right up to Branham Lakes. It's gorgeous country. The drive to Helena would be within the 2 hr mark. I think it takes me just less than 1 1/2 hrs from where I live north of Sheridan.

White Sulpher Springs and the Smith River would also be a beautiful area but I don't know that there is much for sale over that way. I know there is plenty for sale around Sheridan and Twin Bridges.

This area also has plenty of horse riding areas and you can trailer your horses up into the foothills of the Tobacco Roots. This is quite a horse riding community of people.

As for elk hunting, the Upper Ruby in the Graveley's is a great area for elk.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Thanks Lady. I think sheridan will be the place. I have several friends who live over in sheridan, they love it there. Has that area been "discovered" yet? Is land priced so the average Montana person can still buy?

Your name indicates you are a fly fisherman?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 208,073 times
Have you looked around Boulder or Basin? Basin has a restaurant with the BEST pizza I've ever had. I think it's called The Leaning Tower of Pizza or something to that affect. I hope it's still open!!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjojobean View Post
Have you looked around Boulder or Basin? Basin has a restaurant with the BEST pizza I've ever had. I think it's called The Leaning Tower of Pizza or something to that affect. I hope it's still open!!
Yes I drove out to Boulder a few weeks back. Its a very nice area, I've got it on my list too. I am really into fly fishing though so being close to one of the rivers would be nice, not a must but it would be nice.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks Lady. I think sheridan will be the place. I have several friends who live over in sheridan, they love it there. Has that area been "discovered" yet? Is land priced so the average Montana person can still buy?

Your name indicates you are a fly fisherman?
Hi AQHA, yes I am a fly fisherwoman....as for Sheridan becoming "discovered", I'd say there are some areas around the river that are owned by people like Ted Turner, but closer in town, it's just regular Montana types and some transplants from other areas. It is more expensive than say Twin Bridges or Whitehall but it's also farther away from civilization so no worries about people flocking there. No place to go to work and a horrible commute to anywhere so those who live there are either retired, are ranchers or independently wealthy and don't need to work. There are plenty of ranches and ranchers in the area which is primarily cattle country once again. The most affordable area would be Whitehall and the area just outside Whitehall. Twin is starting to climb a little but there is not much there and once again, you would have a horribly long commute to anywhere.

I'd say it might be on the par of some Helena prices but the land is stunning and the fishing is awesome.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Is most of the fly fishing in that area done in drift boats or do you use waiters?

I bought a Lund fishing boat 2 summers ago so most of my fishing lately has been on Canyon Ferry Lake. I need to get back to the streams/rivers, I just love that type of fishing.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Is most of the fly fishing in that area done in drift boats or do you use waiters?

I bought a Lund fishing boat 2 summers ago so most of my fishing lately has been on Canyon Ferry Lake. I need to get back to the streams/rivers, I just love that type of fishing.
Ha ha ha ha well, I only use waiters when I go to a restaurant!! But seriously, I do use waders when the temperature is below 70. I prefer to wet wade in the summertime as waders are just too hot. On many sections of the Beaverhead you pretty much need a boat to float the river but there are sections where you can wade. The Ruby is all wading...not big enough for boats. The Madison has areas you can wade and many do float. Same goes for the Jefferson. I think you are better off floating the Jeff. So you have some of each and tons of variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana