Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:43 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about going north (especially Montana and the like) for job opportunities after grad school, and I was wondering, how do you think I would be treated, being from the Southern United States?

Don't jump to early conclusions, however. I have a Southern drawl, I'm from South Mississippi, but I'm not your stereotypical media "redneck." I did not grow up in a trailer, I HATE country music, I don't wave a rebel flag or drive a truck, I dress more urbanite than farm boy...etc, etc. I still wonder, with the accent and just knowing I'm from the South, how I would be handled.

Here (I'm in Arkansas now) the problem is that I'm not Southern enough for some reason, and I just wonder if just being Southern at all would be cause for jokes and snickers at my expense in the north. I want to find a nice, round the calendar cool weather place with friendly people to spend the early years of my career, and I don't want to take a job offer and suddenly regret it.

Not only that, but if homes are very expensive, I would be losing money and respect.

Hopefully someone can give me a good idea of what it's like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 PM

9 posts, read 39,302 times
Default dude its all good

homes are cheap up here, who cares if your not southern enough, just dude chill you will be fine, its quiet except parts of billings and parts of great falls, those parts have alot of shootings and drug trafficking, but montana has alot of diversity, and history, dude you will be fine, i dont like country music i call it achey breakey whiney music, i go to school with alot of people from mississippi, louisiana, georgia and those people are good people and they are very polite and mannerly. I bet you will like montana Billings is growing rapidly it is up to 101,000 people and Missoula is up to 71,000. I know what some of the southerner stuff is like I was born in Atlanta, anymore questions???

Old 06-16-2006, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,252 times
People in Montana are really cool. Seems most Montanans accept everybody who isnt out to cause problems. At most they would just be interested in talking to you about how things are down south. I think, anyways. I have seen a bar full of white people and a black person walk in and is greeted with respect just the same. Just an example of how it is up here. Most pp here are layed back working people who dont start problems. And as far as the country music is, lots of pp here like country music (not my favorite type of music) but id bet they would rather hear country than rap. Anyways, pretty sure you would think the people here are real nice people!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:17 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times
Good, that silly response was removed.

I thank you guys for your insight. Montana seems like a really nice place to be. It's just the housing and job market I have to worry about now, haha.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:04 AM

45 posts, read 334,431 times
Default An old saying

Actually when I first moved to Montana an old saying I heard was: "The Confederate Army never surrendered, they just retreated to Montana." This reflects the fact that many families moved to Montana just after the Civil War (I know in Mississippi that would be the "War between the states") because of all the problems in the reconstruction south.

The people are respectful--you still hear "Sir" and Ma'am" in most places. Most people mind their own business and allow you to do the same.

The biggest fear that people have is outsiders who come in and try to change everything. They have gotten turned off by those who move in from other states, expecially California, and try to change Montana into the state they just left. We usually call this Californicating. So long as you come in understanding that you are new and the people have no desire to see their state changed (they live there, and people move there for a reason) you will have no problems.

I'm originally from Texas and found Montana the most accepting of all states I've lived in.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 41,850 times
Default Just be honest in Montana

As I stated elsewhere, small Montana towns are the best of the best. You can be anyone from anywhere ( except Cali ) and meet some unbelievably wonderful people and they all have one thing in common. They present themselves as they are without apology and in honesty. They are used to tourists so they take a little time to evaluate you. Very little time. They resent pushy people and they will back them off in a heartbeat. As gently as possible using their tourist gloves, while leaving no doubt they are tough as nails and mean what they say..
You don't have to conform to anything at all. Montanan's are mostly non conformists. Be a nutcase, a jerk, or just an average joe and you are accepted as long as you ARE what you present yourself to be. In some small towns, they will make sure you are warm in the winter and never hungry and have someone to watch your back. You get lost in the forest and are missing a few days? Search parties go looking, God's honest truth.
But the cities are just as bad as anywhere else. Just a bit differant. The jobs are here but it's hard to get one if you don't know the natives personally.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:04 PM

152 posts, read 627,750 times
Default new people

[QUOTE=
"So long as you come in understanding that you are new and the people have no desire to see their state changed (they live there, and people move there for a reason) you will have no problems."

Hmmmmmm my thoughts exactly, that's my plan...........it's a shame that people coming into the USA can't grasp this concept.
(Hope I don't get in trouble for this )

Old 12-26-2006, 09:50 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwom@bresnan.net View Post
As I stated elsewhere, small Montana towns are the best of the best. You can be anyone from anywhere ( except Cali ) and meet some unbelievably wonderful people and they all have one thing in common..

Man I am really getting bothered with Californians "ALL" getting a bad rap Not all of us are like that. I live in a small Southern California town (approx 30,000), that is probably not unlike some medium sized cities in MT. I am polite, and say yes sir, please, yes ma'am. I hold doors open for people (that's the way my folks raised me), and the last thing I wanna do is change the great state of MT.
So please don't "assume" all Californinans are the same....but do be wary of those Californians that drive Hummers with 22" spinnner chrome wheels, and jacked up 4 wheel drives, that have never been offroad

Old 12-26-2006, 07:38 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
I was thinking about going north (especially Montana and the like) for job opportunities after grad school, and I was wondering, how do you think I would be treated, being from the Southern United States?

Don't jump to early conclusions, however. I have a Southern drawl, I'm from South Mississippi, but I'm not your stereotypical media "redneck." I did not grow up in a trailer, I HATE country music, I don't wave a rebel flag or drive a truck, I dress more urbanite than farm boy...etc, etc. I still wonder, with the accent and just knowing I'm from the South, how I would be handled.

Here (I'm in Arkansas now) the problem is that I'm not Southern enough for some reason, and I just wonder if just being Southern at all would be cause for jokes and snickers at my expense in the north. I want to find a nice, round the calendar cool weather place with friendly people to spend the early years of my career, and I don't want to take a job offer and suddenly regret it.

Not only that, but if homes are very expensive, I would be losing money and respect.

Hopefully someone can give me a good idea of what it's like.
My wife grew up in Midland Texas, and she just loves it here..... of course, I sort of figured she would.

She likes the fact that there are no big bugs here.......

Homes here are inflated in price, as a result of all of the expressed interest in the state from others across the nation.

I'm quite sure you will be pleased with your choice to come live, work and play here.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltown_under_bigsky View Post
......And as far as the country music is, lots of pp here like country music (not my favorite type of music) but id bet they would rather hear country than rap. Anyways, pretty sure you would think the people here are real nice people!
Indeed...... rap and hip-hop..... give them both the boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana