Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 PM

152 posts, read 628,837 times

Advertisements

...to everyone for the great descriptions of McMansions....I feel safe knowing I won't have one. And I wouldn't have a big-A** SUV if you bought me one.
But, sniff sniff, I'm only going to have a little longer to enjoy my Mustang.
Will need something more appropriate with 4-WD. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 14,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I envision a 20-is acre ranchette with a few cows and horses but just for fun...not for commercial purposes...often a log home. I envision the Bitterroot, Flathead, and Paradise Valleys when I hear the term.
For what I can buy here in DC/NoVA/MD versus what I can buy in MT with a six-figure salary is light years apart and the ability to have a chunk of property with a nice log home is a huge attraction for a conservative, Christian family of 6.

I work for a company that flies me all over Creation for various projects and I need to make the most bang for my buck for my salary. I don't want a 'McMansion'- just a property where I could possibly be a bit more self-sufficient when the grid finally crashes. (Note: that's a when, not an if and I design and run global networks for a living)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,765,580 times
I'm sorry to tell you, but you won't be more self-sufficient living in Montana than elsewhere. As I've described, Montana is very dependent on the outside world (fuel and electricity primarily) in the wintertime because of our fiercly cold winters. Just try it for one winter without heat - and you'll freeze. Of course, you can cut wood (as long as you have bar oil and gasoline for your chainsaw). Of course, you can run solar (but it will barely generate enough electricity for light and not enough for heat). You'll need a water source in the winter and a place to purchase food (the growing season is very short in the summer).

Trust me - I'm a Montana native from the Whitefish area. I've seen lots of outsiders come and build their "survival cabin" or whatnot, and it's not very practical in my book. Of course you always can try it for your self and see what it's like.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,176,964 times
A McMansion is pretty much the houses that are starting to clutter up the foothills. Usually inhabited by someone who didn't get to play cowboy as a kid and is making up for lost time, or sometimes they they are inhabited by people that want to live in the "wild", but still need a $1200 toilet seat that wipes their butt for them. Usually one pops up, and then the area is subdivided and 30-40 more appear in the next few years.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,027,102 times
I don't like McMansions for 2 reasons

1) The ones I've seen are always built on very small lots. They are too close to
neighboring houses and backyards are tiny.

2) They knock down every tree in sight in order to build them. Why don't they just
carve out a niche within the trees to build the house? Trees take a long time
to grow and it will take about 25-35 years before these houses have any curve
appeal.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM

8,092 posts, read 10,690,234 times
What I also notice is a lot of VACANT McMansions and "ranchettes" for sale in the real estate books. Apparently it's not good enough to come in here and buy one that's already built - you have to be able to say you had yours "custom" built yourself, or it's just not as prestigious or impressive or something. I'm always wondering why someone would build a massive house with all the trimmings and bells and whistles imaginable, and then not want to stay living in it for very long? Many times the ad says the house is just a year or two old? What happened to that Montana "Ranch" dream?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,765,580 times
I agree with Montanamom...the Montana McMansion that I despise is the expensive home built on a nice piece of property only to be sold a couple years later (or left vacant after the new owners decided they didn't like Montana winters). Seems like such a shame when the property was so nice before the house was built!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 AM

6 posts, read 14,545 times
I came to Montana via the Yellowstone Fires in 88 and fell in love with it then. It's just taken me 20 years to get back. The difference is that I actually have the money to buy a chunk of land and a decent house.

My goal really is a family 'compound' for kids, grandkids, and friends.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,089,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson223 View Post
I came to Montana via the Yellowstone Fires in 88 and fell in love with it then. It's just taken me 20 years to get back. The difference is that I actually have the money to buy a chunk of land and a decent house.

My goal really is a family 'compound' for kids, grandkids, and friends.
It's possible to do and yes, compared to most places land is cheap here right now. Prices have fallen in the last year but I don't expect that to last too long since we are getting a large influx of Canadian $$$. Here is an example of what's "compond" size and cost.
Moderator cut: cannot post realitor sites.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-04-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,176,964 times
Default Cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's possible to do and yes, compared to most places land is cheap here right now. Prices have fallen in the last year but I don't expect that to last too long since we are getting a large influx of Canadian $$$. Here is an example of what's "compond" size and cost.
Moderator cut: cannot post realitor sites.
Define "Cheap".. Cheap if you make a good 6 figure income maybe. (I'm out in the Gallatin Valley though... might be different where you are.) For those of us in the 40-80K region I wouldn't call land "cheap". (Affordable if you can live where there is little work maybe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana