Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,960 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I'm getting a little off topic.

Back to the OP: There are some fine dining establishments in Montana. The crowd that goes there aren't the locals so you have to attract either the tourists or the out-of-state people that have a cabin in Montana that they visit in the summers or for a little while.

Whitefish and Bozeman are the two best towns for this kind of business. Whitefish is plumb full of restaurants as it is, so it might be a tough go. These places are also tough to make ends meet during the off season which lasts a long time.

Bozeman? Hard to say. There was a place called Spanish Peaks that was a fine dining resturant, but it went out of business. Bozeman has a lot of college kids that go to places like Santa Fe Reds or Bennegins rather than upscale places.

One exception is Chico Hot Springs. They have a cheap poolside grill, but if you're brining a girl to Chico you're not going to take her to the Poolside Grill and have her order a Kitchen Sink Burger. The only other place is a fine dining resturant and it's very pricey. But there's no where else to go to eat (literally) so you're stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef82 View Post
I am looking to open a fine dining restaurant in MT. I have lived in Bozeman for a few years and am somewhat familiar with the state. Several cities I am considering would be Big Sky, Missoula, or Helena. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I would like to hear them. The phrase "fine dining", I think, has been misused. This restaurant would be Contemporary American with French Influence, similar to those in Napa Valley, Las Vegas, and New York......all places that I have worked before.
Since you are using Napa, etc as benchmarks, I was in St. Helena last week and dinner for four, including one cocktail each and a shared bottle of wine cost $362 at the CIA with tax & tip. This is considered cheap in Napa compared to the French Laundry or La Tocque.

My point is that, as much as it would be great to have "fine dining" in Montana, the prices would be prohibitive for regular working people. Also, from a business standpoint you have to rely primarily on the high dollar tourists, which makes the restaurant seasonal only. I would much rather see a talented chef develop creative, but affordable menus for the locals. Entrees such as cassoulet, with fresh baked bread and a variety of salads, using local ingredients to keep the cost down. Anyone can look good flying in lobster and green lip mussels, but creating great dishes with inexpensive
ingredients is a real challenge. For example on Winter days, I do a pretty good French onion soup with a gruyere souffle top (cost about 50 cents/bowl). Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,827 times
Open up a taco joint. That's as fine as you can get.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
Missoula has several resturants that might fit your capabilities but I have no idea whether they are hiring:

The Keep - formerly Shadow's Keep - my favorite place.
Pearl - haven't been there for a couple of years but has outstanding cuisine.
Red Bird - Again, haven't been there in years but has great reputation.
The Depot - fine food available but too noisey for my.
Ciao Mambo - Italian mostly but, again, noisey.
Blue Canyon - Part of the Hilton Garden Inn - great kitchen.

That's a start. Good luck.

Moderator cut: edit
Not a Taco joint in the whole bunch. Depressingly pedestrian.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:53 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklagerman View Post
Not a Taco joint in the whole bunch. Depressingly pedestrian.
While I too like tacos, I was trying to match chef82's professed talents with a couple of places here in Missoula that might be able to use them. Taco John's etc have all the UM business management, women's studies and enviromental studies graduates they can use!!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
You know what I really miss and haven't seen in NW MT... a good Italian cuisine restaurant. Man could i go for a good seafood linguine in a white cream sauce, some pasta fagioli and a damn good marinara ! Or maybe some cod or chicken franchese with some risotto and a wicked bowl of wedding soup. All cooked by someone else for a change ! I'm getting sick and tired of having to cook this myself.

Ooo Ooo Ooo... or some home made seafood ravioli in a lobster cream sauce !!!! HOLY CRAP am I getting hungry again. And I just finished dinner !

How about some bad ass sausage soup... Italian stuffed shrimp ?! A kick ass Parmigiana !!!!!

OK... I have to stop this madness now.
Spagettii Bolanase Or a chocolate crepe

Old 01-10-2009, 03:18 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
chocolate crepe
dude !!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Or a chocolate crepe
Now you're cookin! Serve mine with a dollop of creme fraisch and a sprig of fresh mint from the garden.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM

12 posts, read 39,488 times
I am hearing some good things about a bakery in Muley,Mt

Old 01-10-2009, 05:10 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddprsd View Post
i am hearing some good things about a bakery in muley,mt
this thread too !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana