Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:05 AM

3 posts, read 10,762 times

Advertisements

hello,

I´m writing from Belgium and we would like to travel in Montana in July or August 2008. I want to prepare those vacations the best as I can and I´m looking for accomodations in a village or a small town where we can find a ranch to ride with cattle.
We need many informations. Coming from Paris, where do we have to land to be very near WIBAUX or surroundings?
Would it be possible to stay one week in a family (we are a family of four persons parents and two girls that will be 15 ans 11 next year)? We like nature and don´t want to be in a big town.
Who could give me some information?
Thank you very much.
Kisses from Belgium
Nuri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 01:47 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,347 times
Do you know someone someone in Wibaux? It's sort of an uncommon destination. It's a remote, small town and has more in common with the flat land of North Dakota than much of Montana. There's not much to see, even though the desolation and flatness of the area is somewhat interesting in itself.

I think someone from eastern Montana might need to answer this, as it's not a typical tourist destination.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:54 AM

Thumbs up accomodation in WIBAUX

To be honnest, I don´t know ANYTHING and ANYBODY in Montana. I´m just looking for a nice site to go for our vacation next year. My husband and my daughters ride and they would like to spend some days in a ranch.
Do you have any idea where we could go? We don´t want to go in a touristic region, but in a "tue" place of Montana, with nature and horses and cattle....
So I´m waiting for someone to explain me where is the best place to go.
Thank you for your answer
nuri

Old 03-14-2007, 01:38 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,347 times
Default great ranch idea

Hi,

This is a ranch in southwest Montana...very authentic. It's also close ( 25 or 30 miles) to the state capital but pretty rustic. You'd fly into Helena, and they might offer some kind of pick-up service for travelers.

They offer cattle drives, campfire cooking, horse back riding, etc. People come from all over the world to stay there, but it's a small operation so they only take on a couple of families at a time. You'll be in the shadow of mountains overlooking a lake. I know you'll see lots of wildlife. I know some of the family who own it, and they are really great people. I'd highly recommend it. Past this into your browser:

http://www.flynnhideaway.com/index.htm (broken link)

Here's another article that mentions the ranch and also gives you lots of other good ideas for your Montana travels:

http://www.travellady.com/articles/a...namoments.html

Hope this helps!

Lorelei

Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 AM

Thank you very much,
I´m going to watch out this site and get in contact with the owner.
You´re very kind to give me such a good information
Kind regards
nuri

Old 05-04-2007, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 21,875 times
Default Whatever you do, don't go to Wibaux!

Hi,
I hate to tell you this, but I don't even think they have anywhere to stay in Wibaux! You would probably have more luck finding a dude-ranch, or staying in a city like Great Falls in a hotel ,which is not too expensive, and then contacting an outfitter to go horseback riding. There are many. When you get here, just look up outfitters in the phone book, Dude ranches, or horseback riding. Especially with children. A Bed and Breakfast would probably be a good Idea also. There is probably at least one in every larger city in MT. IE: Great Falls, Helena, Missoula, Billings, Bozeman. But why would you want to go to Wibaux? No offense to all of you people who live there, but that place is just... NASTY! I've been there several times and I wish I could get the memory out of my brain! There isn't even a decent place to stop and pee there! It brings to mind the Australian Desert... in the summer. Sorry, just being too honest I guess.
D.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,235 times
Default Travel to Wibaux, MT

Hi there. I grew up in Wibaux, MT and some of my family still lives there. It is a great place to visit if you are looking for some peace and QUIET! It is very small. I know for a fact that there are 2 hotels and a bed and breakfast ranch south of town. There are plenty of outdoor things to do in the surrounding areas such as 2 state parks, multiple places to do horseback riding tours, dinosaur museums, native american remains, the Lewis & Clark trail and an outdoor ampitheater show to name a few. There are 2 great resources if you are still interested in information. The phone number for the visitor's center is 406-796-2253. The phone number to the local newspaper is 406-796-2218. The man who owns the paper is Frank Data and he has lived there his whole life. Hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 AM

24 posts, read 62,594 times
Hey Wibauxlady! Our family looked into buying and running the cafe there a few years back when the town was trying to encourage growth. It didn't work out for us for medical reasons, but having only been through it several times on the way to the Crazys, we sure looked into the area and thought it would be a good fit for us. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:35 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Default Still learning!

My proudest moment was when I finally got the pronunciation of Wibaux right! Various attempts of Wybou, Wybax, Wiban,

Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM

77 posts, read 238,784 times
7of 9 teritary adjunct to the unimatrix 01.
If memory serves me correctly isnt that your full and correct designation??? Anyway you would be
suprised if you knew how much people cant pronounce the names of MT towns. Like: Heleana ( this one is usually reserved for complete outsiders) or Chateau as Chawtaw, by a radio announcer
This was acutally a local lady, Kevin pronounced like the name when it is really pronounced Keevin.
The sad part, you have local dj's so igornant about the state they dont even know how to say the
names of the town's correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana