Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,331 times

Advertisements

Hi there

My husband and I are considering moving to Montana--Great Falls or Kalispell..somewhere hopefully not too far from the Canadian boarder as we have friends from Calgary we'd like to visit with. We've visted the state last summer and loved the area. We're originally from western NC and even though we're native to the area, it's slowly becoming unliveable for the average middleclass hardworking person, which is very sad. He works as a manager in the restaurant business and I'm a secretary for a small newspaper.
I was just wondering if any of you had any good advice( other than making sure we have jobs before moving) for a young couple who have never made a move this big before. We're kinda at a loss on where to begin, other than saving up as much money as possible for the move itself.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
First advice is -- have a job waiting before you move for at least one of you. There's not much job turnover in the stable economy of Great Falls and surrounding areas. Check the GtF Tribune for an idea of what job openings exist. http://www.greatfallstribune.com

Kalispell is more of a yuppie/vacation town, likely to have more turnover thus more openings, tho I'd expect more possibility of a business going belly-up, too.

As to driving to Calgary, GtF is a straight shot north; driving from Kalispell is more convoluted. -- Back in the 1960s/70s, before the boom in Alberta, Calgary folks often came to GtF to shop!

If you look around older residential neighbourhoods in these more-economically-stable towns, you can still find some good deals on a house to buy or rent, feasible within a MT income.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 PM

32 posts, read 96,273 times
Default Mt

Jobs in MT can be hard to come by sometimes...it not overall a super economy or a great place for wages vs. cost of living in places like Kalispell and Bozeman. Housing is very pricey for Kalispell too. Not that its impossible to get work, just its good to have something before you come here, I learned that the hard way...

Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,188 times
I am considering a job in Kalispell that pays, what I would consider good for the area. My concern in moving there are:
1. Adequate education for our 2 and 3 year olds.
2. People say the houses are expensive? They look realatively cheap on the web pages.
3. Is there a mall near by? My wife likes to shop even Wal-Mart or CostCo makes her happy. IS there stuff close by?

I grew up in Lander, Wyoming and now live in wilimington, de. We both hate it, but I fear Kalispell may be too much of a culture shock for her. I know she could handle Helena or one of the other larger cites.
I have never been to Kalispell, but expect it to look like most small towns in region.

Please jump in anyone and school me. I am super eager to get off the east coast and feel pretty confident I will like it.
What does everyone think my wife will think of it?

Peace,
CrazyHorse

Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM

79 posts, read 262,196 times
Crazyhorse

Kalispell is by no means a small town anymore. Its growing by leaps and bounds.We have costco, walmart,tjmax.ross,penneys,home depot,ect and we are even getting a big mall soon.

Last edited by Debee; 04-06-2007 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,279 times
Default Great Falls/Kalispell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfox28 View Post
Hi there

My husband and I are considering moving to Montana--Great Falls or Kalispell..somewhere hopefully not too far from the Canadian boarder as we have friends from Calgary we'd like to visit with. We've visted the state last summer and loved the area. We're originally from western NC and even though we're native to the area, it's slowly becoming unliveable for the average middleclass hardworking person, which is very sad. He works as a manager in the restaurant business and I'm a secretary for a small newspaper.
I was just wondering if any of you had any good advice( other than making sure we have jobs before moving) for a young couple who have never made a move this big before. We're kinda at a loss on where to begin, other than saving up as much money as possible for the move itself.
Thank you
First off, Kalispell and Great Falls are very different in terms of terrain, climate, cost. Have jobs before you move (if possible). Check out housing costs, etc. What are you looking for other than traveling to Calgary? You said that you visited "the area" but did you visit both towns? Just some questions for you to think about.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I would never move to a place unless I really checked out every aspect of what it would be like in terms of housing, crime, utilities, etc. I don't know if you actually visited these two cities but you said you'd been to Montana. I would definitely visit a town before I just packed up and moved there. It might work out and it might be a big mistake. Personally I'd pick Kalispell but everyone has their own likes and dislikes and you really need to do some homework and sort out the pros and cons of both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana