Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:59 PM

66 posts, read 285,986 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much. I was wondering how effective solar power was. THat is awesome that you are able to get deliveries without any problems. I figured that with being so remote that it would be a problem. Now if I can just figure out away to come out there and see it. The airline tickets are around 400-500 dollars for one person to fly out there.

Is anyone familar with how often the police force in Helena hires? Or how often the state attorney's office hires? I am concerned about jobs.

Also I am concerned because it does not seem that there is a lot of options in the way of shopping like a best buy or anything like that. What types of stores are in Helena? where do most people go to shop? I hear the mall is a joke in Helena. How large is the airport there?

Is billings more expensive to live in?

thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 02:43 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush
Well hopefully they won't delete this post....
No moderator has deleted any posts in this thread.

Regards

Old 06-29-2006, 06:22 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times
Default thank you!

It went somewhere, must be out in cyberland looking for a place to land.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:35 AM

5 posts, read 16,503 times
the airport here in Helena is really small compared to ports in big cities.
We don't get 747's here.

The mall is a joke but there are lots of small stores to get what you need, your just not going to find it in one place.
A few large stores we have are: Walmart, target, shopko, home depot, ace hardware etc.

Getting on with the police force will be difficult. The police force is rather small and there is a police academy here in town, so there are many qualified people looking to get on.

Finding land in Helena is going to be difficult also. You will have to travel farther out of town to find 30 to 50 acres. If you find land that is cheap there is a reason for that:no access, or water, etc. I can't give you an estimate on the price of a well. The cost is $17-$20 a foot to dig, but it is impossible to know how far you will have to go. A good friend of mine recently bought 20 acres, had the land witched, and dug 3 seperate wells between 600 and 900 feet each. $9,000 later they never found water. My wife and I have lived in Montana all of our lives and are currently looking for 10-20 acres near town. 10 years ago with $250,000 you could have taken your pick of the litter. Today however that same price will get you one step up from a starter home on a quarter of an acre. If you really want land and don't mind driving 30-40 miles into Helena I would look in the Townsend or Boulder area.

Sorry for rambling on but it is late here, hoped I helped some.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:33 AM

thanks for the info. I wondered about the commutting distance with the land prices that I saw listed on realtor.com. I had a feeling they were out in the boonies. But if i loved the land I would do the commute. Maybe Billings would be a better choice for my husband and getting a job. I will do some checking into Billings.

Thanks again. ANd you were not rambling. I need all the info that I can get!

Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 AM

45 posts, read 334,480 times
Default Billings

I used to live near Billings (in Eastern Montana 130 miles is close) and loved it. The mall was good, you have Super-Wal Mart for gorcieries as well as Costco. There are lots of jobs and people are very open and friendly. Being on the plains Billings is a little more windy at times than Western Montana and the temperature will dip lower. Snow however has never been a problem, the cities are setup for it and know how to do it right.

One thing I liked is that the area gets so much sun during the year.

As someone who has lived in nine different states, all over the country, Montana is my favorite. Though I now live in Idaho, as far as I am concerned I will die as a Montanan. Hopefully, 'if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise,' I'll be able to move back there someday.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 PM

thank you for the information... Billings does sound very nice. Still trying to decide which city I want to live in. We are going to try to visit in Janurary.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:31 AM

78 posts, read 743,951 times
how hard was to build on a site that has solar power? Is it hard to get building materials in that area? Or people to actually do construction? what do you for snow removal to get to the main road? Sorry i have so many questions, but I have never lived any where so rural before. Is solar power expensive to install? Is digging a well expensive?

=====================

Solar and wells are expensive up-front, yes. You plow your own snow if you live off main streets.

Contractors will come and build, but you'll pay them driving time if you live more than a short distance from a city.

You really need to do a ton more of your own research before considering such a move. Doesn't sound to me like you're ready for it.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 39,709 times
Default Moving to Montana

I have enjoyed reading your posts, my wife, daughters and I plan to move to MT in about 6 years. I'm learning alot from this forum. I would move today but I have custody of my 2 daughters from a previous marriage, and my ex would bleed me dry in court if I tried to take the girls out of Florida now. My youngest daughter is 12 and has 6 more years of school left. I want to live somewhere in MT that has a lot land at a reasonable price that is suitable for raising cattle. We currently raise a few purebred Simmental cattle and the girls show them in the fairs for FFA and 4-H. They want to move up there with us and continue doing this. Based on some of the realty websites I have visited I should not have any problem selling our place here and buying a much larger place in MT. I don't get into this forum very often, so if you post any questions or comments and I don't reply, feel free to email me at: AlanRoweInv@tampabay.rr.com

Old 12-26-2006, 10:58 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rowe PI View Post
I have enjoyed reading your posts, my wife, daughters and I plan to move to MT in about 6 years. I'm learning alot from this forum. I would move today but I have custody of my 2 daughters from a previous marriage, and my ex would bleed me dry in court if I tried to take the girls out of Florida now. My youngest daughter is 12 and has 6 more years of school left. I want to live somewhere in MT that has a lot land at a reasonable price that is suitable for raising cattle. We currently raise a few purebred Simmental cattle and the girls show them in the fairs for FFA and 4-H. They want to move up there with us and continue doing this. Based on some of the realty websites I have visited I should not have any problem selling our place here and buying a much larger place in MT. I don't get into this forum very often, so if you post any questions or comments and I don't reply, feel free to email me at: AlanRoweInv@tampabay.rr.com
Man Alan, I can relate on the ex and kid custody issues, holding you back. I am in the same boat. My youngest will be 12 in Feb. Hopefully I won't have to wait till he is 18 for me to move. Here in Ca. if the child is deemed mature enough to make a decision with whom he wants to live with, then he can do so. I am hoping he will want to make a move with me. It will still be a few years though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana