Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
rdw rdw started this thread

20 posts, read 88,987 times

Advertisements

Thank you, God, I've got 4 months.
You would not believe how many rocks I have. Some have names. Some have acreage. Many are their own ecosystems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM

495 posts, read 493,383 times
I don't think finding a cheap place to live in these here united states of american is all that hard, just don't look in all the usual foo-foo popular places to move too, ie, Montana, Florida, etc.....now if you are going to need a job when you get there, well that is a whole 'nother story.......
I think I've said this before..........find a job before you move, you're putting the cart before the horse if you're thinking in terms of .........1. move someplace nice/cheap, 2. Find a job..........that's a recipe for disaster..............FIND THE JOB FIRST, then that is where you'll move too. I don't get this ......."I wanna move someplace nice" mentality, WHAT ABOUT making a living, shouldn't that come first ?
And good luck to ya'

Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Actually alot of people are moving to Georgia. I have really studied the pros and cons of all of the states mainly from a priority of housing costs and climate. For me it's going to be Tennessee. I hate cold weather even though I was born and raised in Montana. I tend to get real analytical when I research a subject and I've compared all of the property taxes, state income taxes, housing costs, etc. on the financial side as well as all of the climatic conditions like humidity, threats from tornados, hurricanes, number of cloudy days per year and all the rest. If you're going to move somewhere it really pays to study the subject because moving is a major life changing event. It's interesting that in the South the economy is doing quite well in most places but Florida suffers from expensive housing as well as hurricane risk so Tennessee has received more people from Florida than any other state. Georgia is also doing very well economically and it's not overpriced like Florida. I would suggest that you do some serious homework on Montana or any other place you might want to move to and of course I would recommend a visit during the worst season so you really know what you're getting into. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I've got 2 months to find a little place to live for 100 K, (no laughs,) and I've pert near lost my mind looking.
Let me add a few comments since I just noticed your 100k price range. I would highly recommend the Tri-cities area of eastern Tennessee for someone who is looking for inexpensive housing in a nice area. It's a beautiful place that is spread over a large area and has a rural feel to it even though the population is quite large. The economy is good, there's no state income tax, property taxes are reasonable and it has a nice four season climate. If you're willing to put up with winter, snow and cold there are a number of states where housing is very inexpensive. That would include Michigan, Iowa, and other parts of the midwest and northern states. Do a little checking on Realtor.com and you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Thank you very much, Montanna.

I won't be working outside my home for awhile, but ty for your thoughts, JJ.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Careful with United Country properties, and similar mail-order real estate catalogs... most are listed there because they're essentially unsalable in their local markets (ie. anyone who gets a look at the property, or knows the area, will know better than to buy it). Most common reasons being no legal access, no buildable sites, and/or no utilities available at any reasonable price (or sometimes at ANY price). -- Some years ago I investigated quite a few of those listings, and not a single one was a livable property.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Reziac,
I appreciate your telling me that. I could've wasted a lot more effort there, ouch.
Five years ago when I began looking around Mammoth Cave National park for land (KY), there was a property brochure from there that would heal most wounds, ha. I mean dream-making prices on river prop. Anyhow, this year that office isn't bothering to print their listings, they said. Gone from 3k/acre to 20 in five years. That's my excuse and I'm sticking, etc.
So that's why I was gullible? ok. thank you all for the reality check !

A fellow traveler, temporarily struggling, but refusing to give up.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Dream-priced riverfront property is usually in 10-year flood zones. Another thing to be cautious about!!

I did investigate eastern Tennessee back when I was first looking to move ... no economy you'd notice, but lots of old farms available for tolerable prices. Don't know what it's like now.

One of the cheapest parts of the country for what you get is North Dakota, but if it's not near Bismarck or Fargo, and if you're not a farmer, there's no way to make a living. -- ND is beautiful and I love it, but too far from everywhere, and when winter comes, it STAYS for months, it doesn't come and go like in MT.

I was born in Devil's Lake and have lived all over ND. I guess that explains me.
http://home.earthlink.net/~thesandpit/devil/lake.htm

Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I did investigate eastern Tennessee back when I was first looking to move ... no economy you'd notice, but lots of old farms available for tolerable prices. Don't know what it's like now.
Since I was the one who mentioned Tennessee let me make a few more comments. As far as eastern Tennessee is concerned the area around Johnson City is doing very well and so is Knoxville and there is a large enough population that it's not that hard to find employment. Tennessee is growing significantly while Montana (despite posts that state otherwise) has very little growth outside of a few western towns. Montana ranks as one of the slowest growing states in the west and if no one believes me then argue with the census bureau. I'm moving to Nashville as I stated on other posts. It's one of the up and coming cities in the south and the economy is doing very well.
For those who have tried to find the ideal place to live, I don't think it exists unless money is not an obstacle. I've been to all fifty states and have really investigated every aspect of living in various places and I've decided on Tennessee. Of course everyone has different priorities so you have to decide what are the most important qualities that you're looking for and then really do some serious research and visit every place you can.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Devil's Lake, hahaha. I'm going to investigate that site! My mother's from a place called the "Devil's Den," some bear there just wouldn't stop eating ppl. Eastern Tenn. is nice, love these mountains. Summer is very summer anywhere down here though.
My life did another flip flop; my son wants to keep this property, so it looks like we will. Now I'm looking for an acre or so up north for myself in the summer. I'm so glad I don't have to move my rocks...
I'm looking at the Dakotas. I liked visiting S. D. but I haven't been to North D.
Two traveling family members told me, separately, that the most beautiful place they'd seen in the US was Glacier national park.
Thanks for ya'lls input. Very kind of you.
Oh, in Tenn., there's town called Copperhill that is a testament to the recovering ability of the earth. 20 years ago it was a wasted moon-scape place, from the copper mining; looked like it would never recover. Now it's lush green. These mountains are old and the soil is deep.
Lots of ppl from Tn. drive down into Ga to buy groceries - evidently the no income tax raises prices some. I guess that would be less afluent folks.
I drove across the country a couple times when I was younger and even dumber, it's wonderful to be able to say that most ppl are decent. Scared, but most are decent. Ha, now ya'll WILL worry about this innocent Ga. hick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana