Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 AM

3 posts, read 14,441 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Havre and would like to live downtown in the historic district. The key issue is whether to buy or rent. When I was there a few months ago, there was little to rent and what we saw was on the shabby side. However, I am concerned that if we buy, we will have trouble selling the house when we leave, probably in 2-3 years. My home is important to me and I currently own a bungalow style house that is charming and homey. Being that Winter in Havre is long and we want to have a nice place to live, we are not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKG0324 View Post
I am moving to Havre and would like to live downtown in the historic district. The key issue is whether to buy or rent. When I was there a few months ago, there was little to rent and what we saw was on the shabby side. However, I am concerned that if we buy, we will have trouble selling the house when we leave, probably in 2-3 years. My home is important to me and I currently own a bungalow style house that is charming and homey. Being that Winter in Havre is long and we want to have a nice place to live, we are not sure what to do.
I think your answer would depend on your budget. My friends lived in a small old house right off one of the downtown business streets. It was really gross and the cost was really high! When it came time for them to buy they ended up buying in a very tiny town a ways from Havre because they couldn't find anything in their budget that was decent or even worth renovating. Keep in mind this is 2nd hand information, so you may find out more from some locals. I would call some realtors and ask around. Let them know your budget, etc. and I bet they would be willing to lead you in the right direction. What in the world is taking you to Havre anyway?????

Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM

What brings me to Havre? A relationship..my boyfriend is working there.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,960 times
Quote:
What brings me to Havre? A relationship..my boyfriend is working there.
Perfect reason!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,685,450 times
You know in this current market, and IMO it is just beginning to come here I would hold off and rent to see where things are going. It is a college town so anything you own then rent later will have its challenges with the student renters, The old saying stay for 5 years or do not buy is a good rule of thumb. Welcome to the board, come to the porch to visit.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
Quote:
Check www.havredailynews.com for rentals or contact the local realtors.
www.northernlandandrealty.com
www.havremtrealty.com
www.koefod.com

Note: The renters are not pet friendly. So if you have a dog or cat, you might have a problem finding a place to rent.

As for selling a house, if you price it fairly, it will sell. A lot of current sellers think their houses are worth more than they really are plus they think there is going to be a new influx of Border Patrol officers so they have artificially jacked the housing prices.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

I appreciate your input. And I am concerned about the pet rental issue as I have a cat. With that said, I did see a new house listing this week on Property West website, but it seemed pricey to me. The listing was a bungalow (looked nice in photos), but it was listed $156,000.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
Quote:
I appreciate your input. And I am concerned about the pet rental issue as I have a cat. With that said, I did see a new house listing this week on Property West website, but it seemed pricey to me. The listing was a bungalow (looked nice in photos), but it was listed $156,000.
The wife and I had a cat when we moved here. I worked with Russ Getten of Northern Land and Realty and he found a house for us to rent in Highland park that accepted the cat.

And the price of the house seems the average. Depends on if its been renovated or upgraded.

My advice is see Carl of Havre Montana Realty. Super nice guy and is always available to show some houses. There are some deals there, you just have to persevere. Plus, find out how long its been on the market. If its been on the market awhile, they might get desperate to sell and will accept an offer lower than what they are asking.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 17,264 times
Smile help me

thinking about relocation to harve, mt
not sure where to live. nervous and anxious.
can anyone help me, give me advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana