Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 61,881 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move to Billings this Summer. we are moving from Oregon. My oldest son, will be attending college, so he will not be coming with us. He says that he read somewhere on the net, that Billings is becoming the Drug Capitol of Montana. That crime rates are soaring, and all that goes with that. I can't seem to find this report anywhere. My question is, How is life in Billings? I will have a job, and my hubby gets veteran benifits, so money is not an issue. My Hubby will be attending College there, and I will have 3 other Children in Elementry, Middle School, and High School. Im just wanting to know, from someone living there, what area is the nicest, is it safe there? Drug problems? That sort of thing. ANY info from people living there, would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by plous_222; 04-07-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: misspelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Well, the thing is, when your crime rate is already low (as it is in Montana compared to much of the nation) -- even ONE more crime makes the stats "soar". And news outlets sell eyeballs to advertisers ... so their motivation isn't to bring you accurate news, but rather to glue your eyes to the "horrors" presented in the news.

So if you had one murder the previous year, and next year you have two -- that's a 100% increase in the murder rate! Horrors! must report it as a "soaring crime rate".

According to FBI stats, nationwide the crime rate is only about half what it was 20 years ago, despite that there are twice as many people! you can look 'em up on the fbi.gov website.

The southeast corner of Billings can be kinda smarmy (my sister lived down there for a while... we called it "ambulance row") but every city has its poorer side, and the rest of town is just a regular place, with regular people and no more crime than anywhere else. It's a dang sight safer than Portland!!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
I lived in Billings for the past 14 years. I felt very safe there. The schools are good. As was posted, the south side of town tends to be the "poorer" side, although there are some nice little areas down there, too. The "west end" tends to be the place a lot of people want to be as there are higher end homes, etc., especially northwest. The heights also has some nice homes. We built a home in the heights but I wouldn't do that again if I lived there. Traffic is bad (well, bad for Billings!) during the morning & after work rush hours. The city is working on better systems for travel in & out of the heights, which is helping some so far, but it is still "bottleneckish" there. I guess it all depends on where your job is & what time you'll be traveling. I lived on the north side, east of 27th St., when we first moved to Billings. At that time it was a quiet, older neighborhood. From what I've heard it has become more like parts of the south side with more run down homes, poorer people, more rentals, etc. Prices are higher on the west end for both rent & purchase. The heights is less expensive in most cases for comparable properties. There are some really nice old homes with charm in the very heart of Billings, west of Division St. Some tend to be very expensive, but that is a nice older area. Also, the "tree streets" area near MSU-B is a charming area but a little pricey. You'll just have to visit town, talk to realtors, etc. to find the area that is right for you. You may also want to consider some of the small towns near Billings like Laurel, Huntley, Worden, Shephard. The schools there are smaller & it's more rural. I taught in Laurel the past few years and the schools there are very good. All of these towns are just a short drive into Billings. I never experienced any problems with drugs, crime, etc. while I was there. Drugs are everywhere.....you just have to stay away from them! I'm sure you have raised your children well so they should have no problems staying away from these kinds of problems. Best wishes to you all in your move!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Thank You for the info!! I appreciate your time! :-)

Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
If you plan to buy a house, or buy land and build a house, be VERY careful of some of the new developments around town. Be sure to ask to see the CCRs (Covenants, Codes, and Resrtrictions) BEFORE you put any Earnest Money on the place!
Of course, if you LIKE to be told how to live, and what you can and cannot do with the land you just bought, then perhaps several pages of rules, and a Home Owner's Association (HOA) would be just what you need.
Ask first, you don't need that kind of surprise at closing.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM

I know all about the wonderful restrictions of housing tracts that impose CCR's. No thanks! Since my Husband will be attending college there, we will be looking just to rent, until he graduates, then see where we will end up. Got any suggestions on heating types? While we are on the subject, how well does Billings deal with winter? Road closures, that sort of thing. I dont mind the cold, so long as I can still get to work!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM

I also wanted to say, that as far as crime rates go, we currently live in Southern Oregon, where Meth has had a foothold for many years. I know Montana, as well as the rest of the country has issues with Meth, I do believe it will be better then Southern Oregon. I think I've grown so used to dealing with Meth Heads, that I almost don't see them anymore. Our crime rates are much higher then Billings, even though out town is much smaller. :-(

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
The roads around here are rarely closed, and then only for a few hours. Usually only the main routes in town get plowed. You WILL want to get real M&S traction tires for the winter. "All Season" tires are, IMO, at best a joke at worst downright dangerous in the winter!
I don't know about the drug problems, I have no experience with the stuff. I read about it in the paper occasionally, but I don't think it is as bad as has been reported. I just don't know for sure.
To get a feel for prices, check out the Billings Gazette website, and the Thrifty Nickel website (be sure to specify Billings, it seems there are a lOT of "thrifty nickels").
Heating will depend on where the place is located. In town, it will probably be natural gas or ground source heat pump (yes, there are a few), maybe oil. Out of town, it can be propane, wood, oil, heat pump, maybe even coal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana