Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,096,158 times

Advertisements

There is very little similarity between a fine zoo such as the San Diego Zoo and that gawdawful drive thru bear tourist trap near Glacier Park. The Zoo At Tacoma Washington used be have a horrible bear exhibit. There were a couple of real old iron bar cages about 15' X 15' and the bears just sat in there own wastes with glazed over eyes.
I say thumbs up to a few excellent zoos and a major thumbs down to these private commercial tourist traps that exploit and mistreat wild animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,762,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
There is very little similarity between a fine zoo such as the San Diego Zoo and that gawdawful drive thru bear tourist trap near Glacier Park. The Zoo At Tacoma Washington used be have a horrible bear exhibit. There were a couple of real old iron bar cages about 15' X 15' and the bears just sat in there own wastes with glazed over eyes.
I say thumbs up to a few excellent zoos and a major thumbs down to these private commercial tourist traps that exploit and mistreat wild animals.
I was at the Denver zoo years ago and didn't like it one bit - the cages were all concrete and not natural looking at all.

The Seattle Zoo (Woodland Park) is nice, and they have done some nice rennovations to the Point Defiance Zoo (Tacoma, WA) so it's much nicer today, but it still is smaller than the Seattle or San Diego Zoo.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,175,026 times
I think the last time I was at a zoo it was Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado. All I remember was the purple tongues of the giraffes as we fed them Rye-Crisps... (that the zoo sold for the purpose of feeding them.) I'll probably go to one again when my son is old enough to enjoy it.

I did go to Sea World in San Diego a year or so ago and thought it was pretty neat. Seems like they have a really good staff.

I can't really comment on Zoo's because I haven't been in so long. Isn't there a zoo in Billings?

I agree with rickers on the tourist trap outfits for certain. I wouldn't give them my money.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,202,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I think the last time I was at a zoo it was Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado. All I remember was the purple tongues of the giraffes as we fed them Rye-Crisps... (that the zoo sold for the purpose of feeding them.) I'll probably go to one again when my son is old enough to enjoy it.

I did go to Sea World in San Diego a year or so ago and thought it was pretty neat. Seems like they have a really good staff.

I can't really comment on Zoo's because I haven't been in so long. Isn't there a zoo in Billings?

I agree with rickers on the tourist trap outfits for certain. I wouldn't give them my money.
Yeah, I hate the tourist trap overpriced what-do-you-mean-is-that-all-there-is?? outfits too. Always felt ripped off afterward... which is why I don't even look at 'em today. And the fact is, they'd make more money by having free exhibits, but selling related merchandise for happy visitors to take with them as a keepsake.

If there's a zoo in Billings it's news to me. I remember the zoo in Minot, tho -- my dad took me when I was a little kid. Wonder how much it's changed today?? [goes off, finds website] Roosevelt Park Zoo :. Minot North Dakota .: Home If admission to a whole freakin' zoo run on a local parks commission budget is just $6 (and was FREE until 1981), where does someone get off charging $8 to see a couple bears??

And according to their website, Noah's Flood was in 1969

Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM

155 posts, read 715,868 times
There is a zoo in Billings. It is called Zoo Montana.... has pretty much everything that you see in Montana plus silka deer, red panda, and siberian tigers, plus snakes/lizards etc. Only been there once school feild trip. Not too exciting. Been there for at least 10-15 years.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,202,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboy View Post
There is a zoo in Billings. It is called Zoo Montana.... has pretty much everything that you see in Montana plus silka deer, red panda, and siberian tigers, plus snakes/lizards etc. Only been there once school feild trip. Not too exciting. Been there for at least 10-15 years.
Ah, so it IS news to me, since I was last in Billings in 1984!!

I guess that sort of thing is a lot more exciting when you're a kid, or if you've been city folk all your life. Doesn't seem all that interesting if you grew up around livestock and had coyotes and bears and elk wandering through your back forty.

(Tho there are actually more bears that wander thru folks' back yards in the north fringes of Los Angeles than I ever heard of anyone seeing in Montana! finding a black bear in your pool on a hot morning is a regular excitement around Pasadena.)

Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM

49 posts, read 107,359 times
Red Lodge, Yellowstone Park, West Yellowstone, Ennis, Virginia City, Butte.
Billings to 212 throught the Park to W Yellowstone (IMAX) 287 to Ennis to
Virginia City (ghost town) to Butte. If you have time Glacier Park. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana