Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
Thanks MHT I love long winded, as I am trying to be a sponge, and soak up all the info I can. Someone mentioned going to Great Falls...I think it was GiftShoppeGuy....said there is a lot of work there for my industrial/mechanic/technician skills
A place where we could literally ride right out off of our property, into the mountains, would be ideal.
Giftshoppeguy is right. Great Falls would probably work for you - not that we don't want you in WY though. I am from that area (Fairfield). Cascade is a great town. If you go west of Great Falls there's Fairfield, Choteau. Choteau is closer to the mountains. Augusta is right at the base but pretty far to commute to G.F. Vaughn, Sun River, Simms are not so great - in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
....Great Falls would probably work for you - not that we don't want you in WY though.....
Yeah sure, I know how it is with us Californians

Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
I've been to North Carolina and actually thought it was more beautiful then Montana. Superior Montana is not very big and if you like living in the middle of nowhere Ok and even Saint Regis Montana is even worse. I am from the East Coast and I do not find the people here that friendly. I do not feel at peace here and I've lived here for over a year and people are rugged and carry rifles and have severe drinking problems. I guess if you have money you would be around a different circle of people but if you don't it's not a great place to live. The state of Maine is much more a freindly state and alot more peaceful. Just my opinion.. South Florida and NewHampshire are much friendlier places really and work is plenty. The State of Vermont has plenty of places for horses etc. The state of Montana is a good place to vacation but to live is not. But if you like to live in the middle of nowhere and the people like I said are ruff and tough and some I think are hideing from the law. Good place to do it I guess. But don't take this Eastern gals word maybe I'm just not use to the Western part of the country. But I am being straight forward and honest.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,242 times
My husband is really interested in applying for a Forest Service position in Superior. We live in a suburb of Salt Lake City and think I'd have a difficult time moving to a location that small (population under 900) with what I can see as harsh winters and nothing to do/very limited shopping unless you make the 58 mile trip to Missoula. It seems like any pay increase would be wiped out with gasoline costs and expensive airfare to Salt Lake. It also looks like housing is very limited and I don't want something with several acres to have to take care of. Are there any transplants out there from larger cities who have lived in Superior or the surrounding area that can offer their feedback?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowley View Post
My husband is really interested in applying for a Forest Service position in Superior. We live in a suburb of Salt Lake City and think I'd have a difficult time moving to a location that small (population under 900) with what I can see as harsh winters and nothing to do/very limited shopping unless you make the 58 mile trip to Missoula. It seems like any pay increase would be wiped out with gasoline costs and expensive airfare to Salt Lake. It also looks like housing is very limited and I don't want something with several acres to have to take care of. Are there any transplants out there from larger cities who have lived in Superior or the surrounding area that can offer their feedback?
Befroe even getting into the advantages/disadvantages of Superior, let me ask if you have shared your concerns with your husband? It sounds as if your idea of a good life and his are just not on the same page. He must want the kind of life that a FS position in Superior offers, and you obviously don't. He wants grand nature, and you don't even want a Montana-size backyard. So it's a matter of which one of you gets to compromise. Do you have kids? Is school a concern? You obviously have family in SLC that you will want to visit regularly. If you have no children, perhaps it is time to give your husband a chance to live out a dream for a while, and take Superior as an adventure. But if you feel very strongly about all the potential negatives, that's something he should listen to. Perhaps his dream can be accomplished without depriving you of your normal life which you obviously enjoy? Time for a talk! Just my humble opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana