Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,645 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Montana in the next year. I am an RN and was wondering where some of the best places to live and work. We are interested in owning several acres of land for a small farm. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Welcome to the board and thank you for choosing nursing as a profession. Montana needs more nurses. There are many positions for traveling nurses and you could rent for a while somewhere and check out the various parts of the state. The Golden Triangle area is a major grain producing area but small parcels are scarce. The Flathead Valley used to have small farms but the developers have and still are, doing a fine job of squeezing them out and filling the valley with tract homes and strip malls so buying property there for farming wouldn't pay off because of the high price of the land now. You may try the Eureka area or try to take a vacation first to scout out a few areas. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 8,645 times
Thanks for the information. Do you know how the pay for nurses is in MT? We aren't looking for a huge amount of land, something between 10-20 acres, more like a gentleman's farm. Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Default Poverty with a view ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickwithnursing6 View Post
Do you know how the pay for nurses is in MT?
That really depends on the type of nurse, amount of working experience and the size of the city or town.
If I quoted wage figures I'm sure you may re-think your move to Montana. Let's put it this way, people who move to Montana regardless of their profession don't move here for the money. The pay rates are quite low and I've heard it called "Poverty with a view"

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

17 posts, read 44,061 times
Nursing is a very good job...Pay is going to be about on par with most of the country..Lower than ALOT, higher than other's..The land? there's ton's of the 10-20 acre trac's...The main thing you have to look at is the price's...some are unreal...This agent, tried to sell me 20 acre's for 300K! I got a good laugh outta that! 20 acre's of rock on a hillside with a mobile home..made in the 60's it looked like...But, I looked around and found land alot cheaper...What part of the great state are you looking at? That would help alot...Keep your head up, and enjoy life's trip!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 25,973 times
New grad RN's make around $20/hr so the pay is substantially lower than other parts of the country!! Obviously, you're probably not a new grad so the pay would be a bit higher. I've been an RN for 2.5 years--I started @ 20.20 and am up to 22.64. I live in Helena. Don't come to Montana if you're looking for a well paid nursing position because like I said we are waaaaaaaay lower paid than other states.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:38 PM

152 posts, read 627,913 times
rn jobs/pay ...depend on the city, hosp size, etc. And....unlike California, there are no patient ratios...so you could have up to 7 or 8 patients, or more.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana