Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,526 times

Advertisements

I first went to Montana in 1996. Now the kids are grown and self sufficient and we are seriously looking at moving to Montana for good. I am almost finished fixing up from Hurricane Rita and out real estate prices have finally nudged up a lot.

I have driven the Glacier Park Jammer buses during summers of 2001 and 2002 and have developed a scale replica that we sell in Glacier and Yellowstone park concessions. I have traveled a lot in western Montana, but still don't know where we should settle. We have our own businesses and will actually bring little jobs to Montana! The problem is that I cannot figure out the best place to move. Should we go to Livingston, Columbus, Columbia Falls, Libby, Anaconda, or some place in between? We figure we'll leave here with 200k or so, but need a house and warehouse and a workshop for my tools and tinkering. The big cities are out of the question for us. The backwoods scene is likewise out. We hate heat but do not crave the cold. We like. . . no make that LOVE the clean air and clean water and have found the folks in Montana to be just as nice as can be. What to do?

I would appreciate any replies or simply opening up a discussion that likely paralells many other discussions on this forum.
Thanks! Duane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 AM

78 posts, read 744,778 times
You really need to explore those towns and make up your own mind. Everyone has different needs and wants. All the places you mentioned are perfect for some people, not for others.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:37 PM

51 posts, read 231,285 times
Have you thought of the NE corner of MT. We seem to be the forgotten area but there is a lot to offer here along the HiLine. I'm from Glasgow -- great community with lots to offer-- Fort Peck dam, Corp of Eng., Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, new fish hatchery, new hockey rink, new skateboard park, coming soon new large indoor swimming pool, wind farm and oil refinery. Take a look at this area -- no we don't have mts. but we do have rolling prairie, clean air, friendly people, and much lower cost of living then in the western part. If I can answer more ?? for you let me know.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,530 times
I was stationed at the Ophiem Radar station from 1974-1976. I have really fond memories of both Ophiem and Glasgow. As I'm getting closer to taking the plunge for an early retirement, I'm yearning to get out of SE Florida and go where people were nice and left you alone if you cared to be left alone. Not much crime there if any.
Although flat as a warpped table, I found the landscape memorable to say the least. The winters were cold, plugged our cars in, but not unlivable. Remember doing my share of bar hopping in Ophiem, used to go to the deactivated SAC base north of Glasgow to party at the old NCO club. There used to be a vocational center at the old base housing there. Ophiem was even on the rodeo circuit. Used to be an A&W in Glasgow. Bought my first new car at a Toyoto dealer I think was east of Glasgow? Deer hunting was a challenge, never had much chance to fish. Remember water skiing on Fort Peck Lake, snow mobiling, snow snakes, sundogs, black ice. Remember having to go to Moose Jaw for Chinese food. And I knew what curling was a long time b4 the last Olympics HAHAHAHA.

I wish I was ready now, saw a sweet house for sale in Glasgow. My money situation is such that I could do okay with part time income. Still healthy enough for manual labor. Would love to transfer to the phone company there but I dont think there are too many openings . Hope the rest of the world doesn't find Glasgow till I can get my place. Hate to see it become like Livingston.
Looking at the area on satellite views tells me it's still "Big Sky Country".

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM

51 posts, read 231,285 times
Default Thanks for the good words about Glasgow

Just want to say thanks booradley --- yes Glasgow area is the gold mine awaiting discovery. With wind farm, extensive housing projects along lake, possible oil refinery and even possible 4 lane highway -- it sits here waiting to be discovered. Can't believe people don't look further east but understand their desire to live in the mountains -- but most don't realize cost of living is high and even some areas are getting crowded.
You may want to actually ck housing costs as they will surprise you as to the great houses you can buy for very reasonable prices ---- early retirement may be more of a possibility than you think

Old 11-22-2006, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,880 times
Congrats for surviving Rita! We bought a home in Plains, MT about 1 year ago, we didn't plan on living here but just passing through. We love it. I'm retired but my husband still has a few years to go, so he is working in Denver and I live here. Many retirees here in Plains. Good bunch of folks, lots of community activities, milder weather than much of MT, Clark Fork River, small town of 1100 or so, and good real estate stability. Good luck

Old 11-24-2006, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 33,578 times
I know of a possibility here in Plains, have you visited here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana