Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,585 times

Advertisements

So my roommates and I (4 of us in total) just amicably broke our lease (Chicago) and are looking for a new place to live. We all have at least half or more of our college done. We are looking to go somewhere with mountains (really just lots of stuff to do outdoors), with a good school, cheap living etc. Basically we are looking to grab few possessions, go to a beautiful place, get a job, sign up for school and live the dream.

I've looked at many different places all the way from British Columbia to Montana. After doing some research on Montana, It seems that Bozeman would be pretty cool. Free public transportation and MSU - which seems like a nice school.

We really just want to have lots of outdoors and hiking at our fingertips. We obviously need a job for living etc (not a career job, just something that we can make decent money, student jobs etc).

Any suggestions, ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherz View Post
So my roommates and I (4 of us in total) just amicably broke our lease (Chicago) and are looking for a new place to live. We all have at least half or more of our college done. We are looking to go somewhere with mountains (really just lots of stuff to do outdoors), with a good school, cheap living etc. Basically we are looking to grab few possessions, go to a beautiful place, get a job, sign up for school and live the dream.

I've looked at many different places all the way from British Columbia to Montana. After doing some research on Montana, It seems that Bozeman would be pretty cool. Free public transportation and MSU - which seems like a nice school.

We really just want to have lots of outdoors and hiking at our fingertips. We obviously need a job for living etc (not a career job, just something that we can make decent money, student jobs etc).

Any suggestions, ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks!
MSU..Bozeman: Just tuiton, books and fees: almost $19000/yr (for non residents) edited info....
Plus your daily living costs: food, lodging etc.

Far more expensive than attending one of the City Colleges in Chicago.
Jobs in college towns in Montana are quite difficult to get.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you make a move of this magnitude.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-09-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: added clarification info

Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 AM

24 posts, read 125,429 times
Yes, consider the tuition, but I'm assuming that cost is not the primary factor in living the dream.

MSU Bozeman and University of Montana Missoula are both great schools/locations. The programs offered at the schools vary, and Bozeman has the reputation for Agriculture. As a very general rule, Missoula is the more liberal town...with vegan restaurants, a downtown music scene, and great access to hiking. I love Missoula. Bozeman tends to be a little less liberal, has a great downtown, and probably has some of the best access to skiing, hiking, etc in the entire state. I also love Bozeman. Cost of living is similar in both towns, Bozeman might be slightly higher.

But remember, Missoula has a reputation for keeping its college graduates forever, and the town jokes that there is a good chance that your waiter at the local restaurant has a master's education or higher. Finding work might be a challenge, and the economy only complicates this. Also, the living wage in Bozeman and Missoula is considerably less than Chicago.

You may find yourself living the dream in either of these locations, and I encourage you to do so, but keep in mind that you risk dreaming only of making a living.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 11,597 times
I graduated from MSU in 2008. I had in-state tuition so it wasn't that expensive, the cost of living in Bozeman was a little bit high, but compared to the city it wouldn't be bad. Bozeman is a great town - lots of stuff to do, fun bars and people. Also, I’m not sure where all of this “you can’t get a job if you go to MSU or UM” stuff is coming from. Almost everyone I graduated with has some kind of professional job (granted most of them aren't our dream jobs, but you have to pay your dues, right?!). I have a political science degree and I work in the software field... go figure. Anyway, jobs that pay the rent are not hard to find in Bozeman, there are plenty of restaurants, local shops, hotels, coffee shops, etc., that you can find to fund all the skiing, climbing, hiking, biking, fishing, camping, and PBR you want.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherz View Post
We obviously need a job

So you all go to school together, and you live together and you are looking to work a job together too ? You all must get along with each other much better than most folks !
I'm just joking with you, good luck with your plans on moving to Mt.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Obviously there are available jobs while attending MSU or UM, especially work study. No one ever said that UM and MSU alums cannot find jobs (I am living proof as a UM alum). What I was trying to convey is this: I know quite a few people in Bozeman who have noticed the job market retract considerably in the last year during the recession. The Chronicle classifieds illustrate this. Students were also having trouble finding work over the summer in Bozeman. These issues were routinely in Montana newspapers over the last year. When the economy retracts, so do jobs. That doesn't mean that there are no jobs, only less jobs. Anyone moving here should be fairly advised of these recent trends, but certainly not discouraged from relocating here and having a great experience in a great town with great outdoor opportunities. Oh, and the breweries are great too.

In a forum like this no one speaks in definites. No one should read in definites, either.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
So you all go to school together, and you live together and you are looking to work a job together too ? You all must get along with each other much better than most folks !
I'm just joking with you, good luck with your plans on moving to Mt.
Haha.

We are not looking to work the same job, I just mean that we will all be looking for jobs.

Thanks for all the information so far everyone.

Sounds like its just as hard to get a job anywhere else, I'm sure if we put our minds to it, we'll find a job.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
MSU..Bozeman: Just tuiton, books and fees: almost $19000/yr (for non residents) edited info....
Plus your daily living costs: food, lodging etc.

Far more expensive than attending one of the City Colleges in Chicago.
Jobs in college towns in Montana are quite difficult to get.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you make a move of this magnitude.

I was reading around about getting in state tuition, it seems a bit complicated.

Could I go to MSU for a year only taking a couple classes part time to minimize costs, and then after a year of living there, gain residency, therefore drastically reducing my tuition costs for the following year - where I would complete the bulk of my classes?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM

Yes, that would be a good option for cutting costs, and maybe keeping some time open for activities and work. Contacting the financial aid office is always a good idea, and they should be able to direct you from there. I've moved back and forth out-of-state a few times, and mostly they are looking for the year time frame, tax return, home address on a bill, registered car (if applicable), and resident drivers license. Voter registration also helps.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Awesome.

Also, what do you guys think of Missoula vs Bozeman?

Pros & Cons? I'm leaning towards Bozeman, but Montana University looks like a better school than Montana State University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana