Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 PM

159 posts, read 442,747 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any stories of driving in Montana back when there was no speed limit? How fast you went? Getting pulled over? Hitting Animals? Etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Well I can tell you that with the posted speed limits we now have you can still see the ditches littered with dead deer in the forested areas and deer crossing areas. Another thing is almost every time I see a car with Washington plates, the car is speeding like a bat out of you know where.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 PM

38 posts, read 122,904 times
I had friends out visiting from MN during that time and their comment was, "even though there isn't a speed limit, everybody is driving the speed limit." I think that most Montanans didn't drive a whole lot faster than they drive right now.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I was one of those cars with Washington plates, in 1969 or 1970.
Driving a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T, 440 Magnum, auto, brand new, about 5000 miles on it, on a brand new stretch of I-90 between St. Regis and Missoula.
110 mph, and the Dodge was running FINE! I was headed for Missoula, the Montana HP was headed for St. Regis. I honestly expected him to take the turn-around I had just passed, and come after me. He just kept going. I was quite relieved!
Oh, and YES, I certainly DO wish I still had that car!
Why was I driving a car with Washington plates? Because the year before I got sick of working in a plywood plant and went to Seattle to drill holes in new airplanes and put rivets in them. That's how I coule afford the new car!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Great story. Being life-long muscle car lover, I can appreciate that feeling. I have never had wheels near that cool.

Mine were a 70 Chevelle with an overcammed 350, a 67 Ford LTD with a 390 that, despite your first thoughts, was actually an extremely cool car. The true boats came in the 70s. I recall cruising comfortably and illegally at 105 or so down farm roads near Bakersfield, California at 17. All my early cars were long-legged, slow off the line, but hitting their stride above 90 or so. My stepfather was of the same thinking. He only bought huge Chryslers with 400 CI and up. And he loved to do the after church cruise home at 80 plus. The lone exception to the road boat was my 1966 mustang, with the box stock 289 and 4 speed. Left the line like a scalded dog, but was topped out at about 115. What a car. Had an inglorious meeting with an elk in Colorado. None of this has anything to do with Montana, but I am guessing some muscle car lovers there will appreciate the days when Detroit could still build a hell of a car, and built plenty. Must have been a wonderful time to cruise through the Treasure State.

Rickers, time for a cool clip from Bullitt, with Steve McQueen....

Old 01-17-2010, 04:50 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I was one of those cars with Washington plates, in 1969 or 1970.
Driving a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T, 440 Magnum, auto, brand new, about 5000 miles on it, on a brand new stretch of I-90 between St. Regis and Missoula.
110 mph, and the Dodge was running FINE! I was headed for Missoula, the Montana HP was headed for St. Regis. I honestly expected him to take the turn-around I had just passed, and come after me. He just kept going. I was quite relieved!
Oh, and YES, I certainly DO wish I still had that car!
Why was I driving a car with Washington plates? Because the year before I got sick of working in a plywood plant and went to Seattle to drill holes in new airplanes and put rivets in them. That's how I coule afford the new car!
That was when you knew how it felt to be alive!
Small hijack: 1972 Nova SS, you know the rest
I wish I knew where that boyfriend was now.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Ah, yes, Bullitt...
Quite possibly the greatest chase scenes ever put on film.
Then, I heard that they used several specially prepped Mustangs for McQueen to drive, and ONE bone stock Charger R/T 440.
Is it true? I don't know.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Last year I was driving up Interstate 5 in Oregon, just south of Salem, when a caravan of grey-haired Mopar Enthusiasts passed me. One of them had a license plate that said 200 MPH Club, another said "Yes it is as fast as it looks." I had a grin from ear to ear. Certainly, the Mopar musclecars were the baddest to the bone. Pure American attitude, no filler.

None of the American muscle cars were worth a damn for handling, but who cares if you were high-tailing down a long straight western road. As for Montana, I cannot imagine a much more scenic and enjoyable place to uncork a 440 Coronet or 426 HemiCuda on an open road. Of course, having gas at 25 cents a gallon would help a lot too!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM

79 posts, read 275,723 times
People from Washington drive fast because the deer here look both ways before the cross the road...really! I moved here 6 years ago from Wisconsin and was used to dealing with whitetail deer and the way the bolt out of nowhere in front of your car. Imagine my shock when I got to Washington and watched the mule deer stand at the edge of the road watching the cars go by. Eventually they slowly meander into traffic and take their fine ol' time crossing the road! Now I'm moving to Montana where wildlife is wild!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM

239 posts, read 687,731 times
Back in 1973 drove from Helena to Glasgow in a Buick Electra 454 in FOUR hours...had to stop twice for gas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana