Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:25 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times

Advertisements

I live one and a half blocks from the store with no hill to go up or down. I walk or ride my bike for small shopping but for stocking up I need to drive. I can't justify warming up a car when it's 25 below for a three block drive but if I walk I'll slip and fall on the ice and my ol bod can't take that much longer. I don't dare riding my bike even with ice tires and I can only put so many groceries in my backpack. Walking with cleats would keep me from slipping but I still can't carry much. I want an adult sized tricycle with a basket with ice tires for the winter. I found a site on how to put studs on mountain bike tires cheaply, but a full suspension would be nice too, and gears. It goes on and on until I'm spending a lot of money I don't have. so while I'm dreaming of a better trike and snooping on the web I found this. I can't afford it (now) but it sure looks good to me. It's like a three wheeled electric moped.

Electric Pedi-Cab Rickshaw Bicycle Tricycle 2 Passenger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I have an electric bike. Put a trailer on the back. I like to ride bike but my legs give out. So with the electric bike, I kick it on and can now make it home. Well worth the money.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
You know I never saw alot of these until I came over here but lots of folks use them.
I say be safe and use the Toy....breaks are hard to recover from.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I live one and a half blocks from the store with no hill to go up or down.
There's your problem, you should have picked a location where it was uphill both ways!

I'd like to have a motor-assisted bicycle myself. The old bod just doesn't want to pedal uphill or against the wind anymore. I've seen some that have what amounts to a lawn mower or chainsaw engine on 'em, small and noisy but seem to get around good. That rickshaw thing looks nice, tho probably pricey!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 AM

126 posts, read 381,744 times
That thing is pretty nifty.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
I like it too but I'm not even going to check on the price just now. I can get a new Chinese made Schwinn adult trike for $250 and fit it with ice tires. I'm hoping to find an old timer in town who may have a used three speed leg powered tricycle he can't ride anymore and will sell it to me for a lot less than that nice expensive looking electric motorized trike moped. I may get a motorized contraption like that one but I need the exercise and my rich uncle isn't out of the poor house yet and most likely never will !
I may try making my own ice tires and try using my made in USA Nishiki Mountain bike. Good ice tires are pricey and I'm sure I can convert good Mountain bike tires shown on the second one of these links.

Studded Bicycle Tires

How to Convert Bicycle Tires Into Studded Snow Tires - wikiHow

Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 AM

Good mountain bike tires cost about the same as the cheapest studded snow tires -- I notice the link has some down around $40. By the time you buy the screws and do the drilling and so on it's probably worth buying the lower-end studded tire.

Occurs to me that some very lightweight chain, wrapped around the tire criss-cross-wise (not just spiral-wrapped), ie. thru the spokes, would do the same job and would be a lot easier, plus removable in the spring. The extremely cheap flat chain would probably work pretty well, as it naturally has a lot of edges. (The stuff that's made from horseshoeing little flaps of metal together. I can't find a picture of it but it's about the cheapest stuff available, and comes in a real small size.) Plain old wire wrap might work too.

The nice thing about the trike is the load capacity -- you can carry two good bags of groceries a lot easier than on a bike. (Trust me. I've carried 50 lb. bags of dog food on a bike.)

Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,693 times
I use Kahtoola Microspikes (similar to YakTrax, but beefier, probably not suited for store floors) for hiking and taking the dog for walks when it's icy/snowy. If it's a block and a half, boot cleats of some sort and a small toboggan might work. I see a lot of the ice fishers use a rubber slip-on boot front with little titanium studs - looks to be store friendly, would save taking them off and re-installing for the trip home.

Guess when the snow isn't there a guy would have to come up with another conveyance of some kind...guess as kids we had the right idea with our wagons!

Actually - http://www.gemplers.com/img/nursery-...tal-167750.jpg

Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,651 times
Rickers,
This may be something to consider

Dog sledding - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Rickers,
This may be something to consider

Dog sledding - The Big Picture - Boston.com
Picture #7 is identified as a guy from Lincoln, MT! That's only a few days mushing from Conrad, maybe he'd come taxi our Rickers around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana