Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 14,714 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering relocating to San Juan Bautista for a new job. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, but what I have gathered is that cost of living is stratospherically higher than what I'm paying right now in central Texas. Where should I start looking for housing? I can't quite tell if SJB is pricier than the surrounding areas, and even then I don't know whether the cost would be offset by gas prices and commuting. Anyone have any insight? And also, any idea of how difficult or easy it is to find a roommate that's also a professional person in this area? How much should I expect to pay in this area if I'm sharing an apartment/house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk8808 View Post
Hi,

I'm considering relocating to San Juan Bautista for a new job. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, but what I have gathered is that cost of living is stratospherically higher than what I'm paying right now in central Texas. Where should I start looking for housing? I can't quite tell if SJB is pricier than the surrounding areas, and even then I don't know whether the cost would be offset by gas prices and commuting. Anyone have any insight? And also, any idea of how difficult or easy it is to find a roommate that's also a professional person in this area? How much should I expect to pay in this area if I'm sharing an apartment/house?
Well, the biggest difference will be housing costs. Not knowing what you currently pay in Central TX, I can only assume generally very low rent in a roomate situation. Compared to Central TX costs will be somewhat high, but not stratospherically higher unless you are living at home for free. Many college students live in the same kind of setup out here on shoestring budgets. So its not impossible by an means. It really depends on your income and expectations. SJB is much more affordable than other areas in CA known to have higher costs like SF, Monterey, San Jose, etc... because its more remote and rural along with its surrounding towns such as Hollister, Prunedale, Gilroy, Aromas, Castroville, etc... You will have a good number of migrant workers living around you because of the all the farming done in the area - the Salinas Valley.

Take a look on Craigslist for rentals and roomate situations. Thats where I would start. Next if you are seriously considering a move visit the areas first before you do so. Its sounds like you have not been to these places before, correct?

Derek

Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Great town! Very small and not usually much happening, but you have fairly easy access to the coast. Hollister is your best cheap housing town that's nearby, if you don't find anything suitable in SJB.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk8808 View Post
Hi,

I own a small business in San Juan Bautista, CA. It is a great VERY SMALL town. The cost of living is much higher than TX for housing and for groceries because it is 1.) very close to Monterey Bay and 2.) very small so there isn't much competition (only one smallish grocery store, no hardware store, 1 gas station, no fast food, etc). There are three very close alternative locations for housing that is affordable and within a 15 minute drive (even during rush hour) from San Juan. Check out Hollister which is 7 miles from San Juan, Gilroy which is 10 miles, and Watsonville which is about 15 miles. If you want to be on the ocean Watsonville is the choice. If you want close shopping and such Gilroy is the choice. Hollister is the closest and at 38,000 in population it has some shopping, but not a lot. There is a Target and a Kmart, but not much else.

Personally, I would love to live in San Juan but it is just too expensive for the limited housing opportunities. Check out sanjuanbautistaca.com for more information about the town.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Another possibility is, nowadays there are many used recreational vehicles sitting around which can usually be bought for a fair price. Some years back my beloved niece & her two young son's bought a used 5th wheel at a good price (about 24'). They rented a monthly space at McAlpine RV Lake & Park. They really enjoyed their time fishing & playing around the area.

Camping/RVs A quiet backroad takes you right in to San Juan, which is close by.

Google

We've also liked staying at Betabel with our used motorhome,
Our Rates

There are also used pull trailers, etc around which can be bought.

Best of Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County