Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 PM

85 posts, read 295,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhunter View Post
Most of salinas is impervious to the "gang problem"
You are as ignorant as the day is long. Did you even read my comments on your little "explanation"? Do you really think people care if it is a "gang problem" or not? You try to flaunt your credentials as a "non-sworn" officer. Are we supposed to guess what that means? Does it mean that you worked as a security guard at the mall with a cell phone as your first wave of attack? Either way, your comment come on as uneducated and ignorant and disrespect the fine "sworn" officers of the law that I have had the privilege of knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Gang violence does affect the quality-of-life in a city for everyone, not just those involved in illegal activities. Just look at Philadelphia for a prime example of this. I can recall cases in which innocent bystanders have been either wounded or killed as they were caught up in gang crossfire, including a small child last year. Just today a Philadelphia police officer who was shot in the head as he innocently walked into a donut shop passed away, and this was the THIRD officer to be gunned down in Philadelphia in just a week or so. From what I've researched I highly-doubt that crime in Salinas is anywhere near as serious as it is in Philadelphia, but if you all continue with that "it's only lowlives targeting other lowlives" mentality, then the gang problems will continue to matriculate to the point where the media headlines will be discussing innocent children on bicycles having bullets in their heads because they were mistaken for rival gang members by these scumbags. Don't stick you heads in the sand; if you feel as if Salinas is worth saving, then revolt!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
Yaeneth: Okay, I live in Salinas and my husband has had a gun pointed at his face. My sister also has seen the aftermath of a drive-by shooting. She saw a body laying face down in parking lot. I've had a friend die because of a drive by shooting. He was shot in the face.

BTW...I'm not Hispanic either and do not hang out with gang-bangers!

I live in the North Side of Salinas. Where do you all live?
Quote:
Mika>Kimi: You are as ignorant as the day is long. Did you even read my comments on your little "explanation"? Do you really think people care if it is a "gang problem" or not? You try to flaunt your credentials as a "non-sworn" officer. Are we supposed to guess what that means? Does it mean that you worked as a security guard at the mall with a cell phone as your first wave of attack? Either way, your comment come on as uneducated and ignorant and disrespect the fine "sworn" officers of the law that I have had the privilege of knowing.
Thank you, all. JM obviously has some ulterior motive for bashing anyplace outside of Salinas -- maybe he's trying to sell a home there or something...or maybe he's got a little deal on the side with the gang-bangers....don't know. But you're probably right -- a security officer in a mall or something...

Gangs ARE a big problem, and it's not to be minimized. People like JMHunter have something else going on if that's how they really feel about it. If you're not in a gang, or hanging out with gang members, your risk is less -- however, like Yaeneth said, you can still be on the sidelines and still be involved, hurt or killed.

I have worked with gang members in the past, and I am aware of the lack of emotion related to killing or shooting others. It is an entirely different lifestyle, and, unfortunately, law-abiding citizens can be caught in the middle. It is something to be taken seriously.

So, the answer to the question: Monterey or Salinas, it should be obvious by now that it is "Monterey."

Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,347 times
Default Salinas

Gangs and bad things will happen anywhere. Police enforcement has been cracking down lately. South Salinas is not a bad area to live. I have lived near the hospital for about 6 years now. Good schools and neighborhoods are quiet and safe.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi View Post
"Honey, we had five people killed in a drive-by shooting by my work today, no big deal, just those silly little gangsters messing around again."
I realize this thread is a little old but, in researching the area I'm wondering if this kind of thing is out of date.

In 2002-2004 there were 17-20 murders a year but, in 2005-2006 there were only 7 murders per year in Salinas ... according to this website.

That's a huge reduction. Unless this data is grossly inaccurate, maybe the crime problem in Salinas is more under control now?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
I was a SWORN officer. I worked all over the state of CALIFORNIA on assignments for one agency. SALINAS is a scary place primarily because of the police. It is the only city I have ever worked in that I refused to spend the night because of a veiled threat from the police themselves. I was actually stopped driving out of this city for exceeding the speed limit by five miles and given a citation. There was a pleasant "see ya." They were up their gun belts in corruption and since I have never read once where they were disbanded and the Sheriff took over as in marshal law, I would venture a guess its absolutely the same as it was a decade ago.

Murder rates are one thing but if you try to report a crime where the suspect is someone they want or need to protect, look out as its not going to happen. Mr./Ms. UNSWORN OFFICER, if you in deed worked for the Salinas P.D. I am sure you can think of at least one name in your community who is untouchable. Your theory is probably that there is no trickle down effect to the community by protecting certain individuals. Wrong. Corruption is rotten to the core and infects all manner of law enforcement and service to the community.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
sheri257 Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi
"Honey, we had five people killed in a drive-by shooting by my work today, no big deal, just those silly little gangsters messing around again."

I realize this thread is a little old but, in researching the area I'm wondering if this kind of thing is out of date.

In 2002-2004 there were 17-20 murders a year but, in 2005-2006 there were only 7 murders per year in Salinas ... according to this website.

That's a huge reduction. Unless this data is grossly inaccurate, maybe the crime problem in Salinas is more under control now?
Well, unfortunately, I think that Salinas is off to a "good" start in murders this year. I've been hearing about all the shootings and crime -- throughout Salinas -- not just one area -- on the news lately. From the KSBW dot com website, there is a short blurb about some recent shootings. I'm paraphrasing here, but this is the basic gist -- it's from March 3, 2008 -- expect more. From what I understand, there has been a "change" in gang leadership in the prisons, and the "orders" on the streets are to exterminate their rivals -- thus, shootings have really gone up. This below is just in regard to fatalities. And if you like the colors red or blue -- you won't be able to wear them in Salinas -- they're gang colors... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if I were anyone moving to Monterey Bay, there is no way I'd live in Salinas. In fact, I won't even drive through there....sorry again.

The first shooting occurred Friday night in north Salinas and police consider the shooting to be gang-related and are still searching for the gunman.

This is the fourth slaying of the year in Salinas.

The second shooting occurred on Sunday in Salinas and sent one man to the hospital. The victim was taken to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police said no arrests have been made in that shooting either. [meaning these guys are still on the loose]

March 3, 2008 – KSBW.com

Here's a link to more:
Salinas Leaders Ask For Help Fighting Gangs - KSBW-TV - MSNBC.com (broken link)

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-13-2008 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Yes, there's something very odd about Salinas. I was there about a year ago and there was a large shootout near a motel involving a lot of patrol cars. I never got the full story because it never made the newspapers there. I talked to someone after that and she said that that's par for the course.
Strange place!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Since there's no Monterey County forum ... I was just wondering:

What's up with home prices. How far have prices dropped?

I'm obviously not talking about Carmel, etc. but ... I've been tracking sales in the paper and there seems to be quite a few foreclosures in the other areas.

Last edited by sheri257; 03-13-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM

I don't know about the foreclosures. I think the majority in Santa Cruz County are in "South County," around Watsonville. I understand Monterey County has more (probably Salinas area). There must be info out on the web, but I don't hear a lot about it in the news...obviously, it's happening, and I just don't hear much, though.

Yeah, Carmel -- that will never go down in price!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County