Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM

68 posts, read 82,555 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are going to be in Carmel/Monterey for a couple of days (first trip to CA, we are very excited) and were hoping you all would share your favorite things to do there, best places to eat and hotel recommendations. Are there any unsafe areas/neighborhoods we should avoid when looking for lodging? Any tips/advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Emma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM

155 posts, read 310,674 times
Cannery Row

Cannery Row | Official guide for lodging, dining and shopping Monterey, California

San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission

San Carlos Borroméo de Carmelo Mission: The Site of Carmel Mission Basilica and National Shrine of Blessed Junipero Serra

Whalers Cabin Museum (whale bones)

Museums | Point Lobos Foundation

Monterey Aquarium

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Stroll around the downtown shops of Carmel and also check out the homes.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM

33 posts, read 298,913 times
Drive down Hwy 1 to Big Sur

17 Mile Drive

Pebble Beach

Are you going with kids? If so, check out Dennis the Menace park in Monterey.

There is an amazing bike/running trail right along the coast that goes on for miles. Rent bikes or just walk. I would begin near Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey and head south into Pacific Grove.

Restaurants - Casanova in Carmel , Passionfish in Pacific Grove, Hulas in Monterey. Breakfast at Lulu's (Monterey) or Katys Place (Carmel). These are just a few of my favorites, but there are so many good ones.

I had the pleasure of living there for 2 years - it's fantastic. Enjoy!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM

211 posts, read 373,234 times
Restaurants (my list is superior here): Carmel - La Balena, Bicyclette (for pizza), and Basil. Really only these three in Carmel, everything else is overpriced and catered for tourists. Carmel Valley - Cafe Rustica and Baja Cantina. If you're here for a week. These five restaurants will not dissapoint you. Other restaurants not listed WILL dissapoint.

If youre into nightlife, Check out Alvarado St. in Monterey. Theres several bars, many of which can be a lot of fun. Definitely check out Brittana Arms, 1833, Mucky Duck, My Attic, and Crown and Anchor. Also Cannery Row has Bluefin, which is kinda dirty, but a fun place to dance.

Sightseeing wise, definitely check out the Aquarium, Cannery Row, Beaches (Carmel especially also Santa Cruz if you get the chance), Big Sur is a MUST. Avoid fishermans wharf.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
I enjoyed The Forge In The Forest, they have seating for dogs in the patio with a canine menu. My favorite was the crispy duck pizza with goat cheese.
The Baja Cantina is the only restaurant I would see Clint Eastwood eat at once a week.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
Cannery Row

Cannery Row | Official guide for lodging, dining and shopping Monterey, California

San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission

San Carlos Borroméo de Carmelo Mission: The Site of Carmel Mission Basilica and National Shrine of Blessed Junipero Serra

Whalers Cabin Museum (whale bones)

Museums | Point Lobos Foundation

Monterey Aquarium

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Stroll around the downtown shops of Carmel and also check out the homes.
Thank you hot_in_dc for the great suggestions and links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
Drive down Hwy 1 to Big Sur

17 Mile Drive

Pebble Beach

Are you going with kids? If so, check out Dennis the Menace park in Monterey.

There is an amazing bike/running trail right along the coast that goes on for miles. Rent bikes or just walk. I would begin near Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey and head south into Pacific Grove.

Restaurants - Casanova in Carmel , Passionfish in Pacific Grove, Hulas in Monterey. Breakfast at Lulu's (Monterey) or Katys Place (Carmel). These are just a few of my favorites, but there are so many good ones.

I had the pleasure of living there for 2 years - it's fantastic. Enjoy!
Wonderful recommendations J-Lu, thank you very much! We are not traveling with kids but wow does that look like a fun park.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
Restaurants (my list is superior here): Carmel - La Balena, Bicyclette (for pizza), and Basil. Really only these three in Carmel, everything else is overpriced and catered for tourists. Carmel Valley - Cafe Rustica and Baja Cantina. If you're here for a week. These five restaurants will not dissapoint you. Other restaurants not listed WILL dissapoint.

If youre into nightlife, Check out Alvarado St. in Monterey. Theres several bars, many of which can be a lot of fun. Definitely check out Brittana Arms, 1833, Mucky Duck, My Attic, and Crown and Anchor. Also Cannery Row has Bluefin, which is kinda dirty, but a fun place to dance.

Sightseeing wise, definitely check out the Aquarium, Cannery Row, Beaches (Carmel especially also Santa Cruz if you get the chance), Big Sur is a MUST. Avoid fishermans wharf.
Thank you Ion_Exchange for the restaurants, nightlife and sightseeing recommendations! It is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I enjoyed The Forge In The Forest, they have seating for dogs in the patio with a canine menu. My favorite was the crispy duck pizza with goat cheese.
The Baja Cantina is the only restaurant I would see Clint Eastwood eat at once a week.
Thank you ferretkona for the suggestions! I wish our dogs were traveling with us, I have no doubt they would love the beach and especially the opportunity to order off a canine menu!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM

70 posts, read 149,493 times
For the ultimate relaxing experience, go to Refuge in Carmel Valley. It's labeled a spa but it's so much more.

Refuge

(2 for 1 on Thursdays between 3-5pm in August)

You'll find no shortage of great restaurants:

Restaurants Carmel, CA

If weather is cooperative (August fog...hmph) consider renting a kayak or a bicycle:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...c=kayak+rental

I agree with driving Big Sur - maybe even rent a cabin down there for one night!

If the fog gets you cold or down, head inland to Carmel Valley (the Carmel Valley Youth Center pool is a nice cheap relaxing point and in a nice park near the quaint village with lots of antiques and abundant wine tasting) or up north to the beaches of Santa Cruz (more likely to be sunny).

There's really a bunch to do. My bias is toward the "doing" of things rather than the "seeing." If you want to do some more adventurous/active things just let me know, I've done quite a bit and still haven't done it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County