Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times

Advertisements

Okay, first, forgive me as I've been pondering lots of places, with different job offers around the country! My latest possibility is Monterey! I have to say when I first heard this my heart jumped, as it always seemed like the most ideal place to live. Now that its a reality I'm a little scared (moving is always a big deal). I'm also worried about the cost of living, though I have always been a renter and don't consider buying a house to be my main goal in life. I am pretty sure I would be okay with renting. My salary will be upwards of 60,000 and should only grow through the years...though I do have significant student and car/credit debts.

Anyway, I am single and about to turn 31 and very interested in settling down...and hopefully having a pool of men from which to choose from nearby haha...well okay I'd settle for less but you get the idea -- is this place too slow or skewed to the older/wealthier/retired crowd? Actually I am quite used to that crowd where I live now...so no culture shock or anything. I love the outdoors and love California overall having lived in Rocklin a few years ago, the west is my preferred location. I am from the midwest (Chicago area).

Any thoughts? I'm mostly concerned about the cost of living (though planning to rent) wondering if my salary will cut it, if there are good opportunites for single people...and any other info or thoughts! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Monterey, be still my heart.
Worked there a couple of years, company paid for a home in Pebble Beach.

I have found "cost of living" is the same coast to coast. The only difference is cost of housing. Monterey costs more than LA but less than San Francisco. Rent I understand costs less.

The whole year has a mild to cool tempeture for 49 weeks. Then a "hot" two weeks of 85 degrees. A lot of thick fog almost daily.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,387 times
ok. nobody else has responded, so I'll tell you the little I know. I lived in Monterey for 2 years when I was single and would love to live there again but you need ALOT of green to ever think about owning a home and living comfortably. The housing prices are truly obscene!

If your o.k. with renting , you can make it on your salary, but don't expect a lot of square footage. I rented the front part of an old house that was divided into apartments for $1,800. It was charming but small and without a washer/dryer or dishwasher. Overall, it was fine for a single person and I loved the area so much that what I lacked didn't faze me much.

The area is unparalleled in natural beauty and I loved the temperate weather and the fog. Fisherman's Wharf, the beaches of Carmel, hiking in Big Sur kayaking on Monterey Bay... I felt like I lived in paradise.

But! It is an older, very established community and the nightlife is pretty sedate. Small pubs and bars and some great restaurants. That's about it.
Not much of a singles scene, but there are lots of Navy guys from the Naval Postgraduate School and the Presidio that you'd meet.

Overall, it's a great place. I am so glad that I had the time there that I did, but now I'm "married with children" and financially, it would be impossible.

It's a great opportunity to live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, but if you're looking for a place to stay permanently, you might want to think it thru some more. The costs just get too steep when you have a family and you want to own a decent home.

Good luck in whatever you decide!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 PM

hmmm....very compelling! This is definitley where I think my fear comes in....in a few years I might have to quit the job if I want to have a home or family, but it is too hard to predict into the future, so I have to decide with the best knowledge I currently have...hmmm. The climate sounds wonderful to me....and if I can't stand the fog I could always drive inland for a little sunshine! In Chicago, you usually have to get on a plane to escape the weather! I love kayaking and water/ocean so that sounds perfect...really perfect! Too bad though, I currently live in a brand new apartment with washer/dryer one bedroom, very nice for $700 a month!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 39,254 times
Monterey's rental market is actually not that bad, considering the cost of real estate. The folks who are renting are generally either MIIS students, military families, or work in the service industry. The property owners understand their income restrictions and don't raise the rent like you see in Silicon Valley - where single renters make $150K a year. Expect to pay $1500-2000 for a decent place by yourself. There are some standard apartments that can be had for cheap. The night life here is pretty chill. The students and military kids have fun, but they can't get too wild. If you're looking for all-night dance clubs, you might be disapointed. If you like a medium pub-scene, college town vibe at a select couple of bars, you'll find that in Monterey. Folks should consider that living in Monterey means that all of your amenities are off-site. Sure, you don't get a huge house with a huge yard and everything brand new. But, there are great parks, excellent beaches, a City Sports Center that rivals any I've seen, and other awesome resources at your disposal. I wish I made 60K when I was single in Monterey!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM

this may seem a silly question...but I guess I want to know! Are the military people a bit on the older side for students since it is a post-graduate school? (that would be nice...) haha. If the single men in the area are mostly 18-22 I am not sure if that is a consideration for me!! so far though....Monterey is sounding great, I think the only other place I might put in front of it would be Denver area....but that has lots to do with cost of living.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,838 times
Ok i'll chime in as i was a Monterey Pen.(former) resident for a very long time!
Its a clicky group of people in Monterey as in more people than not ( besides Military) who have never left.Long time natives are mostly from an Italian heritage which Monterey still has a huge sense of pride with so many natives whos familys all migrated from Italy there years ago. It has an "old town *feel* even down to the buildings, but oozes with charm, if that all makes sense. I have heard the single scene is less than to be desired for the most part with your age bracket. A "pool of men", i just dont think so!I would suggest joining some clubs and just getting involved where ever you may feel comfortable in order to meet people.
The climate is wonderful and you should think along the lines of $1,200 to $1,500 give or take for a decent apt.
Good luck with your decision

Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Maybe just a little north of Monterey in Santa Cruz?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM

well...hmmm...the job is in Monterey, it seemed like Santa Cruz would be too far of a commute, how about some other commutable locales? Any ideas? I hear Salinas is a no go....(crime, etc)

Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,726 times
The students at the Naval Postgraduate School are mostly in their 30's, but most are also married. They are older because they have to spend 8 years or so in the fleet, before they can apply. Their is former military housing available through CSU Monterey Bay, depending on your employer. At one time is was the best deal around. Also a private contractor runs all the former miliatry housing and rents to civilians IF they can not fill the units. And military families make pretty good neighbors.

Former NPS employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County