Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 11,255 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm considering a move to Carmel and had a couple questions about its climate:

1.) How dreary is it during the year? It looks like it's pretty sunny during the fall and spring but dreary during the winter and summer, on average. Is that accurate?

2.) Does Carmel have a decent change of seasons (fall foliage, spring blooms, etc) or is it pretty much the same all year?

Thanks for any info. I've visited Carmel multiple times but only during the summer, and it was mostly overcast the times I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 07:03 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I have to ask you the same question I did when you posted about Carmel a couple of weeks ago:

Define "dreary". I've never heard Carmel described as "dreary". What makes it "dreary" for you? Is that a reference to the fog? I have no clue. Most people love Carmel. Overcast? I don't recall that, or not as something that occurred with any frequency. Maybe you just hit it in an off year?

Old 08-15-2023, 12:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperntea View Post
Hello. I'm considering a move to Carmel and had a couple questions about its climate:

1.) How dreary is it during the year? It looks like it's pretty sunny during the fall and spring but dreary during the winter and summer, on average. Is that accurate?

2.) Does Carmel have a decent change of seasons (fall foliage, spring blooms, etc) or is it pretty much the same all year?

Thanks for any info. I've visited Carmel multiple times but only during the summer, and it was mostly overcast the times I've been there.
Like most of coastal California, Carmel is subject to marine layer and overcast in the summer, although it does tend to clear in the afternoons. It is much sunnier in Carmel Valley though, which is a few miles inland and quite lovely. Winter depends on the rainy season from year to year; in a wet winter, it can be drab and cool, but in a drought winter, it can be sunny and warm, so expect both over the long run.

Any fall foliage will be from non native trees that have been planted and won't be significant enough to be a specific draw to the area, although I'm sure you'd see such trees here and there like anywhere in California.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Like most of coastal California, Carmel is subject to marine layer and overcast in the summer, although it does tend to clear in the afternoons.
People who grew up on the coast or in the Bay Area generally regard the marine layer as a great blessing. It's nature's air conditioning, and makes those regions livable. We get a peek every September of what life without the marine layer is like in the summers; the annual heat wave is something most people raised in a cool environment would prefer to do without. But some people don't mind it; to each his/her own.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People who grew up on the coast or in the Bay Area generally regard the marine layer as a great blessing. It's nature's air conditioning, and makes those regions livable. We get a peek every September of what life without the marine layer is like in the summers; the annual heat wave is something most people raised in a cool environment would prefer to do without. But some people don't mind it; to each his/her own.
I appreciate some marine influence but as I get older, but I think without having to suffer through terrible heat, there's a great sweet spot in places like Carmel Valley, which is only a few miles inland, close enough to enjoy the coastal breezes but far enough to replace persistent overcast with afternoon sunshine. That would be my choice on the Monterey peninsula!

Old 08-15-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I appreciate some marine influence but as I get older, but I think without having to suffer through terrible heat, there's a great sweet spot in places like Carmel Valley, which is only a few miles inland, close enough to enjoy the coastal breezes but far enough to replace persistent overcast with afternoon sunshine. That would be my choice on the Monterey peninsula!
Yeah, I read your earlier post. I think Carmel Valley's a great idea for the OP.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:28 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
When it was foggy in Carmel, we were in the Carmel Valley , where it was usually warm/hot & sunny

We spent a lot of time swimming/hanging out at Los Laureles Lodge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
View detailed profiles of: