Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a position in Monterey. We are not rich and cannot afford Monterey. I would be looking for a decent place to live where we *might* be able to buy a home for our family. We have 3 children and my wife homeschools so the school system isn't important.

Our first choice would probably be Watsonville because we really like its proximity to the coast and friends in Santa Cruz. But I am not sure I could handle the daily commute/grind to Monterey. So how bad is it? Can one leave earlier and beat some of the traffic? Also I have heard really mixed things here regarding Watsonville itself. But I have also heard that there are some nicer sections with some newer hopes, shops, etc...

As far as the other towns - Prundale & Hollister, do you have any experiences or preferences. We are not really into the farming, rural kinda lifestyle if you know what I mean. I don't know if my wife could handle a really rural environment. We have driven through Castroville, the artichoke capital of the world, and well ... were less than impressed. Is Prunedale similar? How about Hollister?

Lastly where would *you* live if you worked in Monterey and couldn't afford to live there. I have read really mixed reviews of Salinas. But for various reasons we want to stay away from there.

Thanks for any ideas of these various areas,

- Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 05:15 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hello,

I am considering a position in Monterey. We are not rich and cannot afford Monterey. I would be looking for a decent place to live where we *might* be able to buy a home for our family. We have 3 children and my wife homeschools so the school system isn't important.

Our first choice would probably be Watsonville because we really like its proximity to the coast and friends in Santa Cruz. But I am not sure I could handle the daily commute/grind to Monterey. So how bad is it? Can one leave earlier and beat some of the traffic? Also I have heard really mixed things here regarding Watsonville itself. But I have also heard that there are some nicer sections with some newer hopes, shops, etc...

As far as the other towns - Prundale & Hollister, do you have any experiences or preferences. We are not really into the farming, rural kinda lifestyle if you know what I mean. I don't know if my wife could handle a really rural environment. We have driven through Castroville, the artichoke capital of the world, and well ... were less than impressed. Is Prunedale similar? How about Hollister?

Lastly where would *you* live if you worked in Monterey and couldn't afford to live there. I have read really mixed reviews of Salinas. But for various reasons we want to stay away from there.

- Derek
If you can afford a place in a good area of Watsonville, that would be preferable ..... at least in my opinion.
You'll still be in S.C. county and close enough to the ocean especially if you can afford a place that is as close to the bay as possible.
I've lived in Watsonville but was paying Aptos type rents because i was about 2 1/2 miles from the beach. That was the Larkin Valley area.
The brutul commute in Santa Cruz county is the morning rush hour going north and then over the hill (HW17) to San Jose and then visa-versa in the evening.
You're basically going against the really heavy duty traffic if you're traveling south in the morning. And yeah, if you're job allows flexibility and you can leave like at 7 in the morning and return around 3, all the better.
There is a fairly long stretch of HW1 that becomes single lane going in both directions. There may be some congestion there but i'm not sure how bad it is for i've never driven south at that time of day.
I have driven back (to Santa Cruz from the south) during rush hour .... through Carmel (which you won't have to deal with) and then Monterey ... it's congested but i've never dealt with the kind of stop and go, slow, slow commute that you deal with when in S.C. county going north in the a.m. and south in the p.m.
That two lane stretch will slow down in the evening coming north but it's not brutal. It's relative though .... just depends on what you're used to.
With no traffic and starting just a bit north (5 miles) of where you'd probably get on HW1 if you lived in Watsonville, i can get to Monterey in about 40 minutes. It's a straightforward and easy drive but always take precaution on the two lane stretch especially if it's dusk or dark.
Santa Cruz county is wonderful. If you can find a good area in Watsonville, you'll be able to experience the pluses of this part of California.
And the Monterey area is wonderful too. Just up the road from Big Sur (which, unfortunately is on fire at the moment ) and S.C. is roughly 2 hours south of San Francisco.
And if you're missing the mountains, you can get to the Tahoe area in under 5 hours. I've done it in less than 41/2 with no traffic (and driving too fast ).
And home prices are going down. It's way inflated here but i did read in the paper the other week that the average price of a house in the county has decreased by about 50K.
Good luck. Happy Trails.

Last edited by rubyskye; 07-01-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Look pretty carefully before you leap. There are "prune-tucky" portions of Prunedale to consider, and also some areas around Watsonville that can get "iffy". The commute along Hwy 1 between Watsonville and Castroville can be quite difficult. Oft times an accident there will actually close the road for long periods of time. So beware. I did it for over a year and would never do it again.

The commute from Hollister runs through three difficult highway segments, [IM me if you want more details] so to me that would rule it out unless you were given a home there. Even then I would sell it and move closer.

One place you didn't mention was Marina, but with prices the way they are that might be an advantageous place to look around. Some great areas, some not so great. Same way with Salinas. South end of that town is close to Monterey [20 minute commute] and safer than other parts. Prices there are at a 10 year low and will soon go back up.

Anyplace in the area is close to the water. Even Salinas is only 8 miles away from the beach and enjoys the same great weather as the other towns.

Visit and look around more before you plunk down your $$$.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
Quote:
Hello,

- Derek
Ah, good .... i was wondering and concerned, given that i'm not a regular commuter, that i gave some less than accurate info regarding that a.m. and p.m. commute.
I do remember once a few years ago being stuck on 1 for well over an hour a bit south of Motts Landing.
There was a head-on ... very, very serious ... finally someone took it upon themselves to drive over some farm land as it looked like we'd be stuck there for much, much longer and there was a large train of cars that followed. I hope we didn't hurt any farm land ... as i recall, it was on some road area that didn't have any crops on it.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks guys,

I had a feeling the commute from Watsonville would be a bit of a grind. I will definitely have to take that into consideration. A friend of mine who lives in Aptos also recommended Marina which he said is a bit of a military town. And since I will probably be working DoD contracts that is fine with me.

Can anyone comment on Watsonville itself as far as a place to live. I have heard there are some newer sub divisions which are nice. I also read on city-data that the town is ~75% Hispanic. So I guess I am wondering what that may be like for our family which is primarily Anglo. I have 'some' Spanish blood. But my wife and kids are as white as they come. And none of us speak Spanish. In parts of SD where some of my wife's family lives there is reverse discrimination. For example if one doesn't speak Spanish at the local stores, schools, etc... they are frowned upon.

Thanks again for the tips and help in our search. We will also visit both areas when we come out in a couple months.

- Derek

Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Hello,

- Derek
Hi Derek,

Rubyskye pretty much nailed it. I've lived in Marina for 21 years before relocating elsewhere in 2001, but came back to the Monterey area for several months in 2004 to help my aunt's business in Watsonville so I am familiar with the commute between Monterey and Watsonville.

The traffic isn't bad, but you definitely want to avoid the rush hour and when there are accidents along the single lane from Highway 1 to Watsonville. Driving from Watsonville to Highway 1, you can expect to drive maybe 55 mph along the coast and through the Moss Landing area. Once you get the Highway 1, the lanes will open up two all the way to Marina, then into two lanes through and past Monterey.

As for life in Watsonville, be prepare for a culture shock. Residents in Watsonville are primarily Hispanics in the south side of the city. But in the northern parts nearer to Santa Cruz, there might be decent areas worth checking out.

Marina is considered a bedroom community. Much quieter, but a huge contrast to Watsonville. There are necessities available in the town such as Albertson's, Wells Fargo, and several good restaurants, but for something more such as Target's, Circuit City, Costco, the residents usually take the trip to Sand City/Seaside or Monterey which is only about 5-10 minutes drive away.

Of course, if you choose to live in Watsonville, Santa Cruz isn't too far away either.

Tim C.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Never lived in W-ville, but have shopped there. Doubt there's much reverse discrimination, although the cultures don't mix as completely as they probably should. Have no negative thoughts about it - mostly neutral.

Actually Marina now has a Wallyworld plus a new shopping center called the "Dunes" just opened with a Target, Marshalls, Kohls, B,B&B and a huge REI sporting goods store. More stores opening soon. Things they are a-changing. It USED to be a military town, but that's becoming less of a "thing" now.

And the DoD West hq complex is located midway between Marina and Seaside.

Enjoy the trip.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Wow, great stuff guys! Thanks for the inside scoop. I'm glad to hear they are putting in some new stores. That is one of the reasons my wife doesn't want to live in the country - too far to go shopping.

I just had my first phone interview with one of the companies that is hiring out there. The work is in Seaside in a govt facility - a decomissioned base (Fort Ord). The person I interviewed with lives in Seaside. So I am wondering if there is a big difference between Seaside and Marina? Are these both similar type coastal communities with some good and not so good areas?

Thanks again for the help,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-02-2008 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 AM

Also is Prundale (Prune 'tucky') really hick ville or is does it have some basic appeal with growing stores and neighborhoods? The reason I ask is that I have seen some pretty decent homes out there online. Is there a downtown?

Thanks,

Derek

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Seaside and Marina are different, somewhat. Both have OK neighborhoods, and both have not so OK areas. Based on my experiences with them I would give the community infrastructure of S a "C-" grade and M a "B-". So look at them. Each does have nice areas.

But also look at Del Rey Oaks - a bedroom community separating Monterey from S, and at Oak Hills, a subdivision between Castroville and Prunedale.

There is no "downtown" for P. The community is split asunder by the Hwy 101 corridor, which has heavy traffic. There are shopping centers on each side of the Hwy, and a small industrial area, but it is most definitely a diverse rural area, with all the good and bad that entails. And, except for two locations, dangerous intersections at which to exit/enter traffic on busy 101.

Remember, because of its mainly former "military" community status this entire area is racially diverse. In my book that's good. Most of the schools and neighborhoods reflect this, too. Sometimes, if a visitor is unprepared for it, the culture shock from this can be an issue.

Good luck.

Last edited by Franklyn; 07-03-2008 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County