Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 AM

38 posts, read 151,176 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Monterey with my two children (12 and 8).
Any and all info,tips would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 AM

889 posts, read 3,119,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Baugh View Post
I am considering a move to Monterey with my two children (12 and 8).
Any and all info,tips would be welcome.
What is bringing you to Monterey?Have you ever been?
Monterey is very beautiful but expensive.You have the ocean, mountains no severe weather.Its a micro-climate so you get a little of everything.The "penninsula" as people call it is very diverse with the DLI and Naval Postgradate school there as well. Public schools have gone down in my opinion, to many old teachers still there when i was young! Put them in private schools if you can.Lots to do there. You have Big Sur 26 miles away, Carmel,Pacific grove for the aqarium and some of the best restaurants you will enjoy so much!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 AM

989 posts, read 5,928,031 times
Avoid Salinas. It is not family-friendly at all, instead it's infested with gangs and illegal immigrants who pick in the fields all day long..

Monterey is one of the most spectacular places. The Monterey Aquarium is supposed to be one of the most visited aquariums in the United States. Real Estate is very expensive, however the quality of life is worth it. The air is clean. The coastline is beautiful, and the weather is fantastic. You're going to adore it there!!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 85,414 times
Thumbs up Yes, avoid Salinas

I grew up there, it wasn't bad then, but it definitely is now, (Salinas) and it is expensive. My parents own a home there, they are going to sell it and move to Monterey. It is beautiful. My kids are 8 and 12 also; fun ages. Let your kids know they will LOVE Monterery. The Aquarium is great, my dad has a membership, it allows you to go free whenever, it's nice just to go and have coffee and watch the HUGE aquarium. The people are very friendly also. A very active, family feeling town. And someone said good restaraunts? Absolutely!!! Enjoy!! I hope we at least get to retire there someday!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:02 PM

74 posts, read 713,297 times
Do it! The great thing about Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove is that there is no such thing as a bad neighborhood. Be prepared for high prices though. Houses start at about 600k and go up from there, but if you can swing it it's worth it. I live here now and absolutely cherish being able to walk to the beach and walk to the local grocery store (Pacific Grove). I have some friends that moved to Monterey from England along with all their kids and they love it!
I'll also reiterate that Salinas is a bad idea. Gang problems, bad areas, and way too pricey for the area. Seaside is another area you might want to look at. Some areas are sketchy but a lot of people are moving there and fixing houses up because it's a little cheaper than the peninsula.

Goodluck!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info, just what I need.
I have been to the Great US many times but a trip in 82 when I was quite young and the experience left a lasting impression.
Things have changed..the world over.. and in the UK most of all.My kids deserve the best I can give. I may be wrong..I hope not.

Many Thanks Colin

Old 03-27-2007, 03:19 PM

With ref to private schools any names or info related to such schools in this area.
Many thanks for spending the time to reply the information is most welcome.

What brings me to the area ... Sea, Sun , Cars, Petrol, Puma Swede ..............

Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM

841 posts, read 2,262,191 times
Live in Monterey send me a message if you have any specfic questions

Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM

841 posts, read 2,262,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight227 View Post
Do it! The great thing about Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove Houses start at about 600k

Goodluck!
not in those towns

Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 AM

889 posts, read 3,119,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight227 View Post
Do it! The great thing about Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove is that there is no such thing as a bad neighborhood. Be prepared for high prices though. Houses start at about 600k and go up from there, but if you can swing it it's worth it. I live here now and absolutely cherish being able to walk to the beach and walk to the local grocery store (Pacific Grove). I have some friends that moved to Monterey from England along with all their kids and they love it!
I'll also reiterate that Salinas is a bad idea. Gang problems, bad areas, and way too pricey for the area. Seaside is another area you might want to look at. Some areas are sketchy but a lot of people are moving there and fixing houses up because it's a little cheaper than the peninsula.

Goodluck!
Dont forget "Salinas" can be Toro Park,the Spreckles community, Oak Hills and all of the Coral De Tierra area including the grade toward Carmel Valley.All wonderful places to live.So to an outsider who does not know the area well it can be confusing when you see these "Salinas" addresses when you are house shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County