Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 AM

7 posts, read 18,011 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted a professor job in Monterey, CA. I’m debating whether to live in Monterey or farther away. Monterey seems lovely but a bit sleepy.

I’m in my young thirties and single, so I’m a bit concerned the pool of young folks in the Monterey area will be limited. I love being within walking distance of work, so one option is to live in Monterey and commute to the Bay area or elsewhere on weekends for more of a social life, culture, etc.

The alternative is to live farther out—perhaps as far as Palo Alto—and commute to Monterey to teach. Palo Alto seems to be a much more vibrant town, plus it has very easy access into SF. But the commute seems rough, and I've been spoiled being able to walk to work these past few years. I'm aware that both places are pricey, Palo Alto particularly so.

Any advice for me on quality of life, the commute, other places I should be considering, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
The commute is too long imo, I wouldn't even try it.

A good midpoint with considerable action is Santa Cruz.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Well,

You would be surprised I think with all the young ppl here in Monterey. With CSUMB, DLI, NPS, Monterey Institute of International Studies, etc... There are many pursuing both undergraduate and graduate degrees in their 20s & 30s. There is also a real international vibe as many come to the area for training from other countries. And there are also younger teachers and other working professionals believe it or not.

Plus the commute you have in mind is horrendous which can take 1.5-2+ hours depending on the time of the day. That said I work in Seaside and we do have ppl who vanpool in from San Jose. So some do it out of necessity. But if they had a choice I think they would live closer to work. With all that time spent on the road every day do you really think you will have the energy to then go out on the town afterwards? It will get old fast IMO.

Santa Cruz is another option with a vibe & subculture all its own. You can visit there and see if that is something you like. It is a more reasonable commute although still a bit long during rush hour.

My recommendation is to try living closer to work first. Get involved in a social group doing one or more of the many outdoor activities here such as kayaking, scuba diving, hiking, biking, photography, etc... Join a church, synagogue, etc... Volunteer for various causes.

Then rent no matter what you do and see for yourself. You can always move further out if its just not working for you. But no matter where you live it will mostly depend on how much energy, effort, resourcefulness and creativity you put forth in meeting ppl. I think you'll find ppl on the SJ forum complaining about similar issues. Where does one go to find quality males/females im my area? With the Silcon Valley, sometimes longer work hours and more of a dog eat dog environment there are a seperate set of issues in meeting ppl altogether.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-07-2010 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
Palo Alto to Monterrey? I hope you're not teaching geography.

Culture is what you make of it IMHO.

Good luck in your new position!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
No, you absolutely do not want to commute from Palo Alto to Monterey!!!
If you don't feel like you want to live in Monterey county, do consider Santa Cruz county .... young, open, friendly and a very easy commute to Monterey.
Don't limit yourself to Santa Cruz county .... consider the entire county (although much of Watsonville may not suit you).

Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
You realize that's over 80 miles one way right? And it's an 80 mile commute that goes over a mountain too, and goes through heavy traffic on Hwy 1 between Santa Cruz and Watsonville. I wouldn't even consider anything over Hwy 17 if I worked in Monterey. I'd go straight for downtown Carmel.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM

170 posts, read 463,407 times
Did it; 3 days a week for 2 years. If you don't have to you shouldn't. The wear and tear on your car, your psyche--because no one seems to be able to drive well these days--, and your free time takes it's toll within 6 months. Just my 3 cents!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
You realize that's over 80 miles one way right? And it's an 80 mile commute that goes over a mountain too, and goes through heavy traffic on Hwy 1 between Santa Cruz and Watsonville. I wouldn't even consider anything over Hwy 17 if I worked in Monterey. I'd go straight for downtown Carmel.
If he lives in S.C. county he'll be traveling south on HWY1 in the a.m to Monterey and will be going against the main flow of commuter traffic.
Things can get a little gnarly when HWY1 turns into just 2 lanes for awhile but it's really not too bad.
That same 2 lane part of HWY1 can be jammed up a bit coming back in the evening, but it's definitely do-able.
And with no traffic it's about a 40-45 minute, easy commute.
If i worked in Monterey county i'd rather live there but if it's really not his thing it seems, from what he's expressed, that S.C. county may be the best choice.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-07-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
I lived in Monterey, Pebble Beach and Carmel. Pebble was just that - sleepy, but Carmel and Monterey are very vibrant towns. A lot of live music and concerts. I never had a lack of something I wanted to do.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,393 times
Nope... wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County