Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,862 times

Advertisements

I have almost 2 years job experience here in Montreal working as a kitchen dishwasher. I also have functionable French. I would rate it around a 6 or 7 on 10. I have been applying for jobs as a stock-boy position around here in Montreal. There's this small grocery store called Charcuterie Noel I've been into and saw a sign that says they need a 'Commis a la charcuterie'.

I know in my mind that it has to do with stocking products, but I wanted to be sure and know more about the position. So I called them and here is what I said:

"J'ai venue a La Charcuterie Noel mardi passee et j'ai remarquer je vous cherche pour un commis a la charcuterie, et je voulez savoir qu'est ce que un commis a la charcuterie fais exactement?"

There may be bad grammar in that writing, but that's also how I pronounced it. What the man told me is how my French isn't good enough and he won't explain it to me, and I assume now I shouldn't even apply for the position.

But honestly, how well should my French be? I know a stock boy also answers customers' questions, but does my grammar also need to be really great?

In case this helps, this small grocery store I mentioned is in the Montreal North area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 PM

36 posts, read 140,035 times
I assume you know Montreal north is reeeally French. I'm guessing that while your French wouldn't need to be perfect for it, the chances are that they could easily hire someone else who had perfect French (mother tongue). Also, while I don't mean to be rude, if you have to ask what a commis à la charcuterie is, it`s not a good sign to employees. French people are going to know right away what it is and roughly what the job entails. So perhaps from the employer`s point of view, why hire someone who a) can`t speak French perfectly so might get the wrong order (or can`t take phone messages, or who can`t fill out a request form for some products) or annoy customers, and b) doesn`t know what kind of things a commis does? Simply put, he could easily find someone else whose knowledge in both areas was better. Had you asked closer to downtown (say, Concordia area, perhaps the Plateau) you may have gotten a better reply. I do agree that it sucks, but that`s Montreal for you. Best to move on to find other things, job-wise, and not dwell too much or take it the wrong way.

(PS FYI: Je suis venu(e-guy or girl?) à La Charcuterie Noel mardi passé et j`ai remarqué que vous cherchez un commis à la charcuterie. Je voulais savoir qu`est-ce qu`un commis à la charcuterie fait exactement - your speech is probably better as you have the right pronunciation but the wrong spellings.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal