Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 29,291 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am 20, and was planning for a while to start my life over again in Montreal due to its European vibe, and more outgoing people with diverse culture.

By profession, I was an Industrial Instrumentation Engineering Technologist/Technician, but I did not enjoy it when I was working in Fort McMurray, Alberta. I am willing to learn French (have high school french already), and live in Montreal for a bit.

Since I don't speak French already, I will have a hard time finding jobs. However, I hear that the government pays you to learn French, and helps you out with the rent too. I already lost my job here in Alberta, so I think now is a good time to start over in Montreal, and ideally go on to live in Quebec City in the future to raise a family (I am single now).

If I can get accepted into a college with some funding, then I would be glad to relocate to Montreal. A lot of jobs in my field are in Montreal, and I can't wait to embrace a more European and artistic lifestyle.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to apply soon and get in. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
I believe the programs are only for immigrants. Are you an immigrant to Canada?

If not, there are many opportunities to take French classes in Montreal, some probably fairly low-cost. But nothing would come close to "being paid by the government to learn French" I am afraid.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 29,291 times
Hi!

I am an immigrant, but am a Canadian citizen now. Would that still count?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
You are probably out of luck, but you can find more info here:

Immigration-Québec - Intensive full-time course

Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 PM

178 posts, read 524,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowscar View Post
Hi!

I am an immigrant, but am a Canadian citizen now. Would that still count?
No, they will definitely not help you pay for anything if you are a Canadian citizen. Quebec actually prefers immigrants from abroad who speak French and their laws are made to accommodate them more.

I would advise you to not come here at all costs. I have lived here for over 2 years and will leave soon. If I visited Montreal before I wouldn't move here. First of all the "european flair" isn't even here because the French in Quebec speak a redneck-ish dialect French. I find Quebec to be very much closed off from Canada and miserable. Rampant corruption among municipal decisions, Crumbling infrastructures, falling apart cars, roads and poorly built triplexes. Lots of abandoned buildings. A large majority of jobs here are for some level of government, and would require you to be bilingual. The population of Montreal is stagnant and will never increase. This sort of image reminds me a lot of "developing countries" like Bulgaria, Argentina, or Belarus (where 50% of all jobs are government jobs). I am from Eastern Europe and see many parallels in life here and there. A lot of Quebecois will probably disagree with me but that is because most Quebecois never leave Quebec. Those that decide to leave, do so right after finishing their education.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM

65 posts, read 157,351 times
Quote:
The French in Quebec speak a redneck-ish dialect French. I find Quebec to be very much closed off from Canada and miserable.
I will be happy to see you find another unmiserable place to live.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
No, they will definitely not help you pay for anything if you are a Canadian citizen. Quebec actually prefers immigrants from abroad who speak French and their laws are made to accommodate them more.

I would advise you to not come here at all costs. I have lived here for over 2 years and will leave soon. If I visited Montreal before I wouldn't move here. First of all the "european flair" isn't even here because the French in Quebec speak a redneck-ish dialect French. I find Quebec to be very much closed off from Canada and miserable. Rampant corruption among municipal decisions, Crumbling infrastructures, falling apart cars, roads and poorly built triplexes. Lots of abandoned buildings. A large majority of jobs here are for some level of government, and would require you to be bilingual. The population of Montreal is stagnant and will never increase. This sort of image reminds me a lot of "developing countries" like Bulgaria, Argentina, or Belarus (where 50% of all jobs are government jobs). I am from Eastern Europe and see many parallels in life here and there. A lot of Quebecois will probably disagree with me but that is because most Quebecois never leave Quebec. Those that decide to leave, do so right after finishing their education.
While some of Architexts observations may have merit some of it is just personal opinion or problems that most major cities face.
On a positive note rents and housing prices are affordable,
Many great restaurants, lots of festivals and art events, great downtown and underground city, very ethnically diverse areas of town,you name it we got it..,We got a Formula 1 race and a NASCAR event, convenient proximity to many tourist destinations in the North East.
However do secure a job before you get here as non French people can have a major problem gaining employment in this predominantly French city/province.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM

161 posts, read 521,132 times
I have friends who have taken immersion programs in Quebec that I'm pretty sure were funded or at least partially funded by the government. I think these are only available for students, though, and there might be an age restriction as well.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM

86 posts, read 401,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
[...] the French in Quebec speak a redneck-ish dialect French.
architext, I know we're friends, but I have no choice except to take offense to this kind of comment as a native Québécois French speaker. You can't say disrespectful, insulting stuff like that and expect people to take you seriously. You know as well as I do that many different varieties of French are spoken in Québec, and they are *NOT* all bastardized, much less "redneck-ish" as you claim them to be.

Québec French is largely an adaptation (with many different outside influences, of course) of the old kind of French spoken by the kings and high society in pre-1789 Revolution France. While it can very well be considered a "dialect" in its own right, it shares too many attributes with conventional French to just be tossed aside as an anomaly.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, now.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM

235 posts, read 837,802 times
Aside from classes or a tutor (and the quality of the instructor is key), here's a few suggestions for learning French:
- Immersion totale. Plunge yourself into the language before you even get there. French-language TV, Websites, music, newspapers and magazines.
- Find a room to rent on Craigslist or a similar site, and make sure that you'll ONLY have francophone roommates. They'll be able to speak some English to you if it's absolutely necessary, but otherwise -- immersion totale.
- Check out Meetup.com for French conversation groups. Montreal has at least one large one with hundreds of members. They're free to join. People just show up at a suggested time and location, like Starbucks. They have a mix of ability levels, and some members whose first language is actually French. Great practice.
- Join other hobby groups in Montreal, for activities that interest you -- but only French-speaking ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal