Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 AM

4 posts, read 200,125 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've got an offer from a company in Montreal. they offer me 47k/year.
I married with no kids.
Does it enough for us to live in montreal with that amount can we still have saving after all the living cost?
how much amount that I can get after the tax deduction?
And how much living expenses for average family like us for 1 month(aparment,food,etc)?

Really need your help

Many thanks :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Hi guys,
I really really need your help to help me make a decision. or maybe any website or link to help find out those information?

I'm very appreciated for your reply, thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
If you have no kids this means you will have few deductions to reduce your taxes.

You should expect to keep about $35,000 of your $47,000 after Canadian and Quebec income taxes.

The average family income in Montreal for a family with kids in Montreal is $72,000.

If you tell us where you are coming from I can tell you how living costs in Montreal compare to the place you are leaving.

But all in all, with $47,000 you should be fine. Not super-rich, but OK just the same.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you have no kids this means you will have few deductions to reduce your taxes.

You should expect to keep about $35,000 of your $47,000 after Canadian and Quebec income taxes.

The average family income in Montreal for a family with kids in Montreal is $72,000.

If you tell us where you are coming from I can tell you how living costs in Montreal compare to the place you are leaving.

But all in all, with $47,000 you should be fine. Not super-rich, but OK just the same.
Many thanks for the reply . currently I'm working in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Living cost in KL much cheaper I guess. I need your help to give me an estimation of how much the living cost in montreal. with a normal life style (decent place for living,entertainment,foods) for sure.
And does it possible for me to have a saving after all the expenses from that salary ? or my life will be month to month?
looking forward for your answer. Many thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christanto View Post
Many thanks for the reply . currently I'm working in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Living cost in KL much cheaper I guess. I need your help to give me an estimation of how much the living cost in montreal. with a normal life style (decent place for living,entertainment,foods) for sure.
And does it possible for me to have a saving after all the expenses from that salary ? or my life will be month to month?
looking forward for your answer. Many thanks
Overall, KL is likely cheaper.

Average rent for an apartment in Montreal is about 700 Canadian dollars.

For two people, it depends how much and what you eat, but generally expect to spend about 400-500 Canadian dollars on food per month.

A regular public transport pass (métro and bus) in Montreal is about 75 Canadian dollars.

Montreal is a really good city for entertainment. There are many free festivals and events, especially in the summer.

If you are looking for a second extra income from your wife getting a job this may be quite difficult if she does not speak French. If you are immigrants and not Canadian citizens though there are free French classes that you can take to help both of you learn.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Overall, KL is likely cheaper.

Average rent for an apartment in Montreal is about 700 Canadian dollars.

For two people, it depends how much and what you eat, but generally expect to spend about 400-500 Canadian dollars on food per month.

A regular public transport pass (métro and bus) in Montreal is about 75 Canadian dollars.

Montreal is a really good city for entertainment. There are many free festivals and events, especially in the summer.

If you are looking for a second extra income from your wife getting a job this may be quite difficult if she does not speak French. If you are immigrants and not Canadian citizens though there are free French classes that you can take to help both of you learn.
Thank you very much. your answers means a lot for us.
for the free french course, does it held by any formal institutions, government, or somebody that I look through ?
Once again many thanks for your answer

Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much. your answers means a lot for us.
for the free french course, does it held by any formal institutions, government, or somebody that I look through ?
Once again many thanks for your answer
Information of French courses from the provincial government of Québec:

Immigration-Québec - French language

Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM

22 posts, read 196,303 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I've got an offer from a company in Montreal. they offer me 47k/year.
I married with no kids.
Does it enough for us to live in montreal with that amount can we still have saving after all the living cost?
how much amount that I can get after the tax deduction?
And how much living expenses for average family like us for 1 month(aparment,food,etc)?

Really need your help

Many thanks :-)
47k will be about 1250$ per 2 weeks. It can cover you and your partner expenses referring to (Cost of Living in Montreal) It is hard to have saving unless you cut all the entertainment and live in a very very tiny apartment. However, if your partner start working then you can start have savings.

47k is good for starting.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
With 47K, if you are thrifty, you should be able to save up some money, yes. Absolutely necessary costs, apartment, groceries, bus pass, will be about half of your after tax income, so the rest will be yours to do with as you please. You can be more or less thrifty but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to save up some money.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM

361 posts, read 837,750 times
Hi,
I have an offer of 75k in Montreal, I'm single but would rent a 2br apt with a friend.
How much is it after tax ?
Would I be able to save money ?
Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal