Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd72 View Post
I beg to differ. A French Canadian can pick out instantly when an American speaks French to them having learned International French in the USA in high school or college. I will grant that some is accent, but a lot of it is the different words and syntax. International French never teaches you to say 'Bon Matin' in the morning as the Quebecois do.
I never it said it was all about accent, and agree there are some different words and syntax.

And BTW, International English never teaches you to say ''y'all'' either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
the difference is greatly exaggerated its not patois. yes a few words and expressions are different but not enough to cause a train wreck. quebec people understand parisian french.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM

27 posts, read 84,056 times
to Huckleberry- then why are Quebec movies sub-titled for the French?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
to Huckleberry- then why are Quebec movies sub-titled for the French?
Some are and some aren't. Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions), which won an Oscar for best foreign film, was not subtitled for "international" French audiences, and the Québécois characters in it certainly weren't pretending to speak like Frenchmen. They spoke with totally normal Québécois accents for the social class that they were in.

As said before, it all comes down to familiarity rather than similarity.

TV prime time and movie theatres in France are not filled with Québécois products like they are with American stuff in the UK.

American English and especially slang would be no more intuitive and easy to understand for a Briton than Québécois for a Frenchman if the average Briton hadn't been exposed to US speech a million times in his lifetime.

Another interesting point is that when written, Quebec French is actually a lot closer to France French than US and UK English are to each other. The two varieties of French are basically identical in terms of spelling and grammar. Whereas especially in spelling there are significant UK-US differences.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
You will have no more difficulty understanding or being understood than you would had you gone to Haiti or the Michelon Islands.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You will have no more difficulty understanding or being understood than you would had you gone to Haiti or the Michelon Islands.
This is true of St-Pierre-et-Miquelon which is part of France and where people speak quite similarly to people in metropolitan (European) France.

But it is not at all true of Haiti, where only a minority of the population speaks French. The main language of Haiti is Haitian Creole, spoken by everyone. Although it has some French words in it, it is considered its own language by linguists and is much more different from standard European French than Quebec/Canadian French is.

It is much much more difficult for an "international" French speaker to communicate with the average Haitian than with the average Québécois.

Quebec French:
Grève étudiante: l'Université de Montréal obtient une injonction | Pascale Breton | Éducation

Haitian Creole:
Bl antre

Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM

27 posts, read 84,056 times
so- here is a question to the Canadians- why in the world do they teach International French to students in Canada and not Canadian French? Do we teach British English to students in the US? I think not

Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 PM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
Quote:
so- here is a question to the Canadians- why in the world do they teach International French to students in Canada and not Canadian French? Do we teach British English to students in the US? I think not
I also found this absolutely ridiculous and I like to categorize myself as a victim from this dumb decision. I started learning French in Ontario and after a year I thought I was pretty damn good. I moved to Montreal only to find out that I couldn't understand anything.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM

468 posts, read 787,561 times
Who's heard of "Joual"?

Joual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God bless,

CKB

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,292,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Who's heard of "Joual"?

Joual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God bless,

CKB

Moé
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal